Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volksrod - Noob warning!!!
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Volksrod - Noob warning!!! Reply with quote

I'm looking to get into the vw aircooled scene. I've been a GTI guy and I'm looking for a change. Where would be a good place for me to look to help decide what year and model to go with? I like the volksrod and ratrod look. I'd like to bag it and put a quick motor (13 sec) in it. I have about $5000 start up money and definitely not looking to everything at once, but over years. It would like to use it as daily while I'm building up. I can't weld, but I'm looking to learn. Otherwise I can do most repair work by myself.

Sounds like I'm talking about a dream car, but just thought I would try to be as specific as possible.

Thanks for any help/direction

New Guy
Twisted Evil
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find a stock 59-67 bug that is not a project, drive it and learn about the cars, mechanics, motors, etc. before looking to do mods. You just might find out you like stock or something else.
ladybug89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u might want to try checking out this site for the look you want http://volksrods.com/forums/
BirdLives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is noob leading the noob, but here goes...

It's getting to be the end of the season, but I think the best way to pick is go to shows and hang around with these cars and the guys (and girls) that drive them.

For me, two major factors should come into play when deciding on a model and year; mechanical (like swing-axle vs IRS, 6- vs 12-volt, etc) and cultural. For example, you will find that the barndoor guys are VERY different from the oval window guys who are VERY different from the fat chick guys, etc. You mentioned rad-rods, are you that kind of guy?
SAP727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am that kinda guy
vwfan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the early stuff on your first go. You would probably just trash it. In my opinion, here are too few early VW's left to justify using one on a first run toy. You would also be better served with an I.R.S. rear end, so shoot for 69 and up. Then go buy "How to keep your volkswagen alive for the compleat idiot" by John Muir, and read it ALL. also get a Haynes or Chilton manual, and as many aircooled VW mags as you can get your hands on. Go to a few car shows and decide if you like everyone else shunning you and looking down their nose at you despite the fact that your car could probably stomp them in a quarter mile. Then go to a few VW events and decide if you like the eclectic mix of hippie burn outs, punk ass kids, arrogant gearheads, trashy people, rich elites, and cool people you will meet there. If all of that fits, then welcome to the club!
Delaware Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob warning!!! Reply with quote

SAP727 wrote:
I've been a GTI guy and I'm looking for a change.

Welcome to the older side of VW life. Very Happy

I have to agree with the others, it's best for you to go for a '68 or later bug to start out. Mechanically, it will be more setup for the things you want to achieve. Don't rule out a Super Beetle either.

Lurk in the forums for a while, and check out the performance engine forum especially. Got to the Classifieds and see what's on the market.

Go to the web sites and see how much speed costs.

Try to stick to "tried and true" methods. Fads and "gee-whiz" stuff usually are an expensive way to make the car less reliable.

Forget about 2/3 of the stuff you know about GTIs, it doesn't apply here.

An aircooled VW can be the best friend you ever had that lives in your garage, you just have to learn to respect it. Very Happy

'71 Standard Beetle Project
'69 Type 3 fastback (sold), '65 Standard Beetle (sold),
'05 Passat 1.8 Turbo, '97 Jetta Tdi (sold)
SAP727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the input.

Dave I believe I've admired your work before. Being a former Delawarean, now a Texan.
RestoNor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An early 60 bug is a good choice, lots of parts left :P, 68- bug look like crap (just my opnion) if you are planning a cal/resto or what so ever.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
everyone else shunning you and looking down their nose at you

This attitude is usually the result of butchering an early car, for the sake of looking cool... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SAP727
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the major changes between the early models, late 60's, and the super beetle that make people favor one over the other?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all late model cars are Supers.

1971-1972 Supers had flat windshields and in 1973 they got curved wjindshields. The 2 easiest ways to tell a Super are MacPhearson struts and the spare tire lays flat in the trunk.

There's nothing wrong with late model standard Beetles. You can probily get one alot cheaper than a early one. They are also more plentiful which makes them cheaper.

You can get a decent late model standard for $2000-3000. It's a good starting place to learn about air cooled VWs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: