Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$6500 for a 36 hp rebuild
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: $6500 for a 36 hp rebuild Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=214432

Last edited by sconord on Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he is recognized as an expert. However that is a lot of money. If you just want performance and not "original look" get something else.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built 36 HP engines I charged 5K for one done right.. Finding parts is a NIGHTMARE! I would spend 2 solid days locating everything for a rebuild on the phone..

All of it adds up to time, and time cost- effort, especially exceptional effort costs even more..
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65BAJA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how much HP one of these things puts out. $6.5k for biral cylinders and dual port Okrasa heads is probably a good deal if the build is quality.

I'll finish it!... Some day....
Edit, I started in 2003 and still haven't built a driving Baja. lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: a lot of money.. Reply with quote

I did a longblock 36HP last year. The gentleman told me that this one shop was asking $2800 for a longblock...blah..blah...blah and so forth.

I did the job for under $750 to build this thing and he provided all the parts. I did all the machine work and detail work. Well...needless to say, if some can charge that much for a straight assembly without even doing critical machine work, I think it will not be long before others catch on too.

I can tell you that I had so much fun machining the parts on this tiny motor. The heads are so freaking small it was hilarious.

I think shops are charging more because they can and they know you will pay for it. Much of the toolings out there are geared to late cases and so forth. Not too many shops are tooled up for this tiny motor.

But make no mistake, there are small operators out there that will run circles on a lot of shops that do charge a lot.

Just shop around.

I learned it is not nice to make fun of someone else's work. Rolling Eyes When it comes to machining VW parts, I will just keep my fun to myself.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing did you really look at what is for sale here?it's not just a old 36 with a teflon cam gear is a very rare piece.

yea you might be able to put out a 36 together with n.o.s parts or good used
but when you have been around as long as this guy and can source the special parts on this motor you will charge for them to.
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: a lot of money.. Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

I learned it is not nice to make fun of someone else's work. Rolling Eyes

Take this to heart ... what you do and what Joe and Jake does ... very different. Its good you don't "make fun" of their work.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
Alan Willis
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is NOT a 36hp rebiuld people, that is an OKRASA 1500cc CONVERSION MOTOR!!! Hell yes that motor is worth $6,500! Actually it is worth MORE than that! Any 50's gearhead would love to have that motor for the power it produces alone! Know your facts about a motor before you bitch about a price!
die schwarzen Schafe #666
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sake of argument, It is worth $25,960.

OK, that being said... What does it do that makes it worth that. Power wise. Is it a 36 hp case with 1500cc pistons? Or is it a 36 hp case pushing the power of a 1915 or 2200cc engine?

Is it meant as a 36 hp case that acts as a sleeper engine?

Also, if it does produce a 2200cc type output, how does it do it?

Simple questions, not a flaming war. Adults please...
tuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sconord wrote:
What does it do that makes it worth that. Power wise. Is it a 36 hp case with 1500cc pistons? Or is it a 36 hp case pushing the power of a 1915 or 2200cc engine?

It's not about a pursuit of absolute power. If that's the goal, you'd start with a Type 1 or Type 4 engine. It's wanting the power with vintage appeal engine with vintage speed parts. As for the cost, ever price 36hp engine parts? Ever try to locate them when you need them? It's much more difficult and pricier to do with the 36hp than it is with the 1600.

If you are familiar with American rods, it's like choosing a Ford/Merc flathead over a Chevy 350/Ford 302 for a street rod. The later engines are easier/cheaper to build, but the early engine has vintage/retro/nostalgia appeal.

That said, $6500 for an Okrasa equipped 36hp sounds great to me!

Tuna
EMPI Imp Homepage

1970 EMPI Imp
1969 Bug - 2056cc Type 4 powered Cal-Look'r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect. Now I get it.

It is keeping the vintage look with having more power (1200 appearance with 1500cc power).

The way the ad sounds is that these engine produce monsterous power.

I did not know if they were getting >1915 power out of them. If they were, I would want one.
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Well I think I know something about this engine. Reply with quote

This is an identical Okrasa engine I built for my 50 split. I purchased the P&C's from Joe and built the engine myself. It is a 1500cc and runs very strong. I have not dyno'd my engine but it feels stronger than any stock 1600' engine, but not stronger than a performance 1700 or 1800. I am going to drop it soon and raise the compression a bit more. I could have used a Porsche crank and bump it to 1600cc which is the max you could 'easily' get out of a 36hp case. I would guess hp at 80+ with pretty good torque off the line

Anyone at the last Litchfield may have seen my car with this engine. It is a sleeper Okrasa as it looks identical from the outside.
As far as the price its expensive but any Okrasa is going to cost some fairly large coin. I paid 3.5k just for the basic Okrasa parts 3 years ago. This included (unstamped block, crank, heads, new P&C's, carbs, manifolds, lightened flywheel). Then add the machining, balancing, case Dow plating, new parts (912 83mm P&C's($900 alone), Isky grind cam, fuel line, balance tubes, crank pulley etc). and you are into the 8-9k range easy if someone is building it for you, so all in all its not a bad price.

-Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: