Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

late bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aross229
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: late bus? Reply with quote

So many in the split crowd drop their rigs and throw an irs on the back end. I know there is a difference.

Is a 68 to 71 really a late bus?
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a bay window, it's a late bus. Or a "Fat Chick" as they like to call 'em Mad

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would not call a 68-71 bay window bus a late model bus. I would call a 68 bus a early bay window bus and I would call say a 78 bus a late model bay window bus.
There are quite a few differances between a early bay and a late bay as I am sure you know.
I wonder if EV. called this forum late model bus instead of bay window bus to include Vanagons?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, there have been some attempts to get him to kick the vanagon owners over into their own forum, but it's not like its a big issue or anything. Vanagons need love too! I like to read about them too, because I'm going to get one for hauling the kids around sometime soon! I think any split snob will call all the bays fat chicks! lol Gotta love the looks of the splits though! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aross229
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: late bus? Reply with quote

yeah! I have worked on late buses, (72 to 79). There is a big difference. VW did a lot of great things. I just prefer to work on the old upright motor. I also consider the 71 to be the end . What a great year too. The difference between the splits and the early Bays is the suspension. Ok there are many, many more, but. As I said before it is funny to see how often people retrofit early bay tech into a splitty to increase its driveability. There is a cost difference too between early and late bays. When I started driving VW's a 69 dlx was an easy choice over an 81 vanagon diesel.

Has anyone ever seen a VDO tach in the empty dash gauge in an early bay? I would love to put an original tach in there.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about Early Bays and Later Bays. The Type 1 to Type 4 engine switch is huge. Makes is a different vehicle in many ways. Also, the Wide 5 wheels in 68-70 versus the Small 5 on 71-79 Buses. But I think for most you have Splits, Bays, Vanagons, Eurovans. I don't like Late Buses. There is LiMBO (Late Model Bus Owners) but they include Vanagons I think.

The Bus Tach is a mythical beast that does not exist. I'm having one made and when it's ready I'll post some pictures of it.

Kind of funny how so many Split owners (usually the ones who put down Bays) are the ones using Bay technology to improve their rides...
aross229
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well put. I still love them all. Well- up till 71 that is.

So are the door handles on a 68 also from the 67's? I have heard answers both ways. I also just found out that the 71 was the first year in the US for the great throw out bearing that with the retaining clips built in. That is a project on my list of many. I want to get rid of those petty retaining clips.

I love to discover the one year parts phenomenas. Ok so I guess it will have to be a clock some day. I don't think I have ever seen one that worked.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 68 door handles were specific to that year. I also think the Beetle had a one year only handle but because it didn't work well it was dropped. Maybe the same thing with the Bus. The clocks usually stop working because their internal fuse broke, but this can be easily repaired. I went from zero Bus clocks to three in the space of a month. Only one worked when I got it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: