Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
petergun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I searched the archives and couldn’t find I was looking for:

Thing is, I own a 68 square with irs. my diff is worn out and I now I can get my hands on a AT type 1 late irs gearbox.

I ll keep the old gearbox to have it repaired and keep as spare.

My question is:

Can I interchange the two gearboxes by just swapping the nose cones/hockeystick and the pressure plate/ through out bearing change ?

Or do I need more mods ?

Hope you guys can help me out.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

It's not that easy of a swap. Most 68's with IRS also have an AT (full automatic), and are different from the "autostick" used in bugs, and ghias. The type 3 AT is more common to a 68-72 Bus automatic trans. That might be a better choice to look for for a trans swap. Either that, or a type 4 (411-412) car, as they used the same trans, but with a slightly different final drive gearing. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

Bus did not get an automatic trans till the 1973 model year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Bus did not get an automatic trans till the 1973 model year.

OK, thanks for the info, but then why does the green Bentley bus manual cover it?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

Depending on what year manual you have, after 79 that green book did 68-79 models, still there was no automatic option available until 1973 which coincided with the 1800cc engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petergun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

Hi, thnx for the info,

I have an early type 3 irs gearbox and want to swap for an AT gearbox from a 1303 super beetle. Late style irs.

Is the only difference the hockey stick ?

Or do i need to exchange more parts?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

petergun wrote:
Hi, thnx for the info,

I have an early type 3 irs gearbox and want to swap for an AT gearbox from a 1303 super beetle. Late style irs.

Is the only difference the hockey stick ?

Or do i need to exchange more parts?

Yes, you need a type 3 hockey stick, but several other items too like a an IRS rear subframe for an MT (69-73) as it's different from your AT version, the type 3 shift rod that runs inside the tunnel, some sort of clutch arrangement (cable or hydraulic). That gets you started, as you'll also need the pedal assembly and the sifter base plate that bolts on in place of the AT shifter base plate. Like I said it's not an easy direct swap. You might want to do a search of the forum, as it's been covered a few times over the years.
In reality you're better off finding and buying a MT car versus converting an AT car to MT.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Late type1 irs gearbox in 68 type 3 Reply with quote

all you need to do is make sure you use the correct nose cone and the correct hockey stick aka take the ones from your original trans. i did it with my 69 squareback nothing else needs to be changed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: