Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Hello, wizards. I am toying with the idea of building a stroker motor for my class 11 style baja bug with BFG K02 tires.
I want something with a lot of torque and reliable and not complex to repair out in the field because I want to use this as if I'm going to be driving it in a war-zone because I want this to be my bug-out survival bug if shit hits the fan which is really soon IMO.
I'm thinking it would need to be something that would run a multitude of gasoline types. What stroker crank and what CR and deck height you guys think I should go to? I want this to be a tank of an engine that needs to be reliable, last a while, and isn't prone to breaking down all the time and having to readjust carburetors and it needs to be able to haul camping equipment, food, water, guns and ammo and if need be, some armor plates covering the firewall and front windshield and doors and rear luggage tray to protect against small arms.

The parts I currently have and are wanting to use are:

Stock mag case freshly line bored.
90.5 pistons and cyclinders.
Stock fly-wheel.
Stock refurbished single port heads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

dude, how many new threads are you going to start? You've already asked about an engine for this beetle a few times...
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

sled wrote:
dude, how many new threads are you going to start? You've already asked about an engine for this beetle a few times...

This is my last one, I'm sorry.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Where exactly are you gonna run off to, Macalla? Laughing

Likely if you go north, more lefties be there. Stay to red states. And the M2 and buzzsaw be too much ammo to feed.

For a bugout motor, stick to the stock ones. Singleports be my choice and build several. They are aplenty and most just needs a ring-job and head refresh are all. Save the rest of your cash for 5.56.

I recommend a Katanaboy 500 saw too. Keep you warm in cold nites...when you cut logs for the fire.

Stay safe -
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Triariicat422 wrote:
sled wrote:

At least he’s starting threads which is more than can be said for of you people here. AND this is 10x’s better than discussing valve cover gaskets …
OP, keep posting and maybe post this in the off-road or kit car forum probably better place for the camping / bug out ideas.

Ive got a buddy who’s like minded and im building an engine for his rail ( he has another vehicle thats his bugout rig but he still plans to take the rail camping & overlanding ) and i thought of it about the same as your thinking. It’ll be an 1801cc 85.5 x 78.4 stroke. I figure he’ll load it down with gear so something with a larger stroke should have more bottom end and torque. Some ppl will say that youll have just the same torque if it was an 1835 but i dont see how and no ones ever posted dyno results of such i side by side comparison that ive seen, and ive wanted to build an engine like this for a while anyhow.
Stock 1600 is easy , simple and obviously reliable but then again going bigger doesnt make it less reliable.
I always thought multi fuel was a good idea, but i have no idea how those engines are set up. And in reality , modern fuel is trash. Used to be you could fire up an old car that had gas so it smelled like varnish. It’d start and run, not well, but still. Nowadays though, in the situation your thinking, the gas that’s available probably wont even burn in years time. So it’s probably best to make provisions to be able to tie a donkey to the front of your bugout bug because thats what we’ll actually be going to. Or at best, like in the third world countries, you’ll have a garden tiller latched to the front and youll be sitting under the open hood steering it. Haha
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

I don’t know if I would stroke it since you already have the 90.5’s. I built up a 1.8 (74x88) and it has a very nice powerband. There are some pretty big hills to the west of me and this little motor handles them all in 4th. Sometimes o have to let up as the newer cars struggle. I followed the advice of Torben and Brain throughout the build and both are invaluable resources.

Dyno run (at rear wheels)

Build thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755506&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Likely if you go north, more lefties be there. Stay to red states. And the M2 and buzzsaw be too much ammo to feed.

For a bugout motor, stick to the stock ones. Singleports be my choice and build several. They are aplenty and most just needs a ring-job and head refresh are all. Save the rest of your cash for 5.56.

I recommend a Katanaboy 500 saw too. Keep you warm in cold nites...when you cut logs for the fire.

Stay safe -

Hell yeah but what you mean "ring job" ? lol
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
I don’t know if I would stroke it since you already have the 90.5’s. I built up a 1.8 (74x88) and it has a very nice powerband. There are some pretty big hills to the west of me and this little motor handles them all in 4th. Sometimes o have to let up as the newer cars struggle. I followed the advice of Torben and Brain throughout the build and both are invaluable resources.

Dyno run (at rear wheels)

Build thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755506&highlight=

thanks for linking that build thread
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

BFB wrote:
Triariicat422 wrote:
sled wrote:

At least he’s starting threads which is more than can be said for of you people here. AND this is 10x’s better than discussing valve cover gaskets …
OP, keep posting and maybe post this in the off-road or kit car forum probably better place for the camping / bug out ideas.

Ive got a buddy who’s like minded and im building an engine for his rail ( he has another vehicle thats his bugout rig but he still plans to take the rail camping & overlanding ) and i thought of it about the same as your thinking. It’ll be an 1801cc 85.5 x 78.4 stroke. I figure he’ll load it down with gear so something with a larger stroke should have more bottom end and torque. Some ppl will say that youll have just the same torque if it was an 1835 but i dont see how and no ones ever posted dyno results of such i side by side comparison that ive seen, and ive wanted to build an engine like this for a while anyhow.
Stock 1600 is easy , simple and obviously reliable but then again going bigger doesnt make it less reliable.
I always thought multi fuel was a good idea, but i have no idea how those engines are set up. And in reality , modern fuel is trash. Used to be you could fire up an old car that had gas so it smelled like varnish. It’d start and run, not well, but still. Nowadays though, in the situation your thinking, the gas that’s available probably wont even burn in years time. So it’s probably best to make provisions to be able to tie a donkey to the front of your bugout bug because thats what we’ll actually be going to. Or at best, like in the third world countries, you’ll have a garden tiller latched to the front and youll be sitting under the open hood steering it. Haha

Yeah, but let's say, russia launches a nuke, it explodes, fallout begins to spread. I want to get my bug out gear and hit the road away from the fallout as far as i can. Modern cars will have their electronics fried. Also, an 1835 should have more torque than a 1600, i don't see why it wouldn't
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Triariicat422 wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Stay safe -

Hell yeah but what you mean "ring job" ? lol

I read “ Hell yeah but what do you mean rim job?” That painted an interesting image of a scenario you just said “hell yeah” to. Hahaha
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

I probably need to start deleting threads
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

I recommend concentrating on what’s on your plate currently.

No problem planning a stroker build, but since it will be your first one, stick to what works.

82x92 (or 94), 5.4” rods, FK8 or 86B cam, Tims Stage 2 heads, 1.4 rockers, and 44IDFs or 45 Dells.

I like CB’s CNC heads as well. Ultra Mags or Wedge Ports. Compression between 9.5 and 9.8:1
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Triariicat422 wrote:
I want this to be a tank of an engine that needs to be reliable, last a while, and isn't prone to breaking down all the time and having to readjust carburetors and it needs to be able to haul camping equipment, food, water, guns and ammo and if need be, some armor plates covering the firewall and front windshield and doors and rear luggage tray to protect against small arms.

If you really want a strong foundation for your engine, you need to toss the idea of the mag case and get a aluminum case for a better foundation.

You cant outrun any zombies or nucluer blasts with a single port either. Your just gonna fail your mission.

If your gonna post a thread asking about a engine, but you already have 75% of the parts, your not asking for suggestions, your asking for permission to use the parts you already have.

For a bullet proof engine, Aluminum case, 74mm crank, 5.7 H-Beams for 1.9 rod ratio to be same as stock rod ratio with low stress angles. cb2236 cam and 1.25 rockers with aluminum pushrods and stateside/oteva single springs, idf 40's or a very careful single carb choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Triariicat422 wrote:
I want this to be a tank of an engine that needs to be reliable, last a while, and isn't prone to breaking down all the time and having to readjust carburetors and it needs to be able to haul camping equipment, food, water, guns and ammo and if need be, some armor plates covering the firewall and front windshield and doors and rear luggage tray to protect against small arms.

If you really want a strong foundation for your engine, you need to toss the idea of the mag case and get a aluminum case for a better foundation.

You cant outrun any zombies or nucluer blasts with a single port either. Your just gonna fail your mission.

If your gonna post a thread asking about a engine, but you already have 75% of the parts, your not asking for suggestions, your asking for permission to use the parts you already have.

For a bullet proof engine, Aluminum case, 74mm crank, 5.7 H-Beams for 1.9 rod ratio to be same as stock rod ratio with low stress angles. cb2236 cam and 1.25 rockers with aluminum pushrods and stateside/oteva single springs, idf 40's or a very careful single carb choice.

you suggesting i build a 1904? I do have abrand new aluminum case I snagged ro 500 buckaroos I bored out for 90.5, I think I will build a 2110 out of it when I collect the right parts
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Use thickwall 92 pistons/cylinders…
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Use thickwall 92 pistons/cylinders…

how much would I need to bore out the heads? would that break into the holes on the heads for the head studs?
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

A modified engine makes no sense for a survival vehicle. Everyone oughta know that. You want to stick to as stock as you can so spare parts are easy to find and have. The more you complicate things the more pressure on YOU to be able to maintain it. Meaning, if you take a bullet and your buddy has to drive and something needs to be fixed along the way he won't know how to fix it. I mean you can say your making a bug out vehicle because you really just want attention and because it never goes out of style, or you can get serious and truly paranoid and realise, the wolves don't care how big your engine is or what it looks like. So stick with stock or get a 1.8L or something made bigger stock.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Not to mention, it seems like you have quite a mountain of learning to do before you can ever "build" an engine. Better start reading old posts like I've been doing for 20 years. Eh?
Triariicat422
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Not to mention, it seems like you have quite a mountain of learning to do before you can ever "build" an engine. Better start reading old posts like I've been doing for 20 years. Eh?

!!! send me the links, daddy!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stroker motor for my "bug-out" apocalypse bug Reply with quote

Nah, you don't want my help. I'm a dummy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: