Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tilt Steering, anyone?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawkhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Tilt Steering, anyone? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever added tilt steering to their beetle? I have a VW based Sterling and tilt is almost a necessity. Is there an adapter kit available or do you need to replace the entire column? Any help would be most appreciated.
bajaherbie
Samba Sooner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never seen a tilt adapter thingy, sounds like its time to swap the entire steering column...........

take some basic measurements with you when you go to the junkyard. might me a bitch to hook up the signals, wipers, and cruise control, though. Wink
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old GM tilt steering column in my Sebring, pretty much the same kit as yours. I don't have any picts of the linkage handy, but it shouldn't be hard, just attached the donor tilt column and mate it to the steering box. Search eBay for "tilt column", "tilt steering" or the like. Early (70-80s) GM coumns are popular for street rods and kit cars.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the mags ran a series in the 80s on retrofitting GM parts to your bug.

The common easier method is to get a removeable steering wheel adaptor for about $20... it also serves as a theft system.... just don't knock your nuggets with the splined shaft.

T.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a tilt unit from a Chevy Chevette in my Sterling. Used a Borgeson vibration dampening joint to mate the two (http://www.borgeson.com/VibrationDamp.htm). Worked like a dream, and eliminated the need to rotate the box (bump steer). It is a little tough to find the steering columns from those Chevettes, so maybe one from www.ididit.com or www.flamingriver.com would be an easier albeit more expensive, option.
hawkhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. Ugh!
hawkhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Best Bet is Chevette Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
I used a tilt unit from a Chevy Chevette in my Sterling. Used a Borgeson vibration dampening joint to mate the two (http://www.borgeson.com/VibrationDamp.htm). Worked like a dream, and eliminated the need to rotate the box (bump steer). It is a little tough to find the steering columns from those Chevettes, so maybe one from www.ididit.com or www.flamingriver.com would be an easier albeit more expensive, option.

I think you're exactly right. The best bet is the GM (chevette) tilt column. I didn't realize my 500K replica also uses GM tilt column, Really thought someone would manufacture a bolt on tilt adapter, guess not. Thanks for your help.
hawkhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim10 wrote:
One of the mags ran a series in the 80s on retrofitting GM parts to your bug.

The common easier method is to get a removeable steering wheel adaptor for about $20... it also serves as a theft system.... just don't knock your nuggets with the splined shaft.

T.

Those are nice, but I can get in and out okay, it driving the car that creates the problem. The steering wheel touches my thighs (and not in a good way!) when driving. Need to tilt the wheel up, or let my legs atrophy for clearance!
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller diameter wheel?

Our MiniT has a 10" wheel...

Dumb question... wouldn't tilt only make your "hitting the legs" issue worse?

t.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... umm... they usually tilt up to add knee room Wink
Nova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Sterling, Sebring, Bremmen Cimbria etc Reply with quote

Hi Guys

If anyone has a Sterling, Sebring, Bremmen Cimbria etc and would like more information or ideas come on down to

www.nova-international.net

Register on the Forum and discuss your car with other guys from the USA, UK and Australia.

Also if anyone has any pictures of these cars, wether your own or someone elses then send them on to me at

steve at nova-international.net
( change 'at' for @ )

for inclusion in the galleries.

Thanks
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to your site plenty of times, good stuff. I just tried the forum but says unavailable. I just started on my sebring currently being customized, here's my project webpage:

http://www.runtrod.com/project-sebring.html
dezertduner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at this it will give you an idea may not be pretty but its a good strong design as they use it in alot of off road race cars.

http://kregerfab.com/othrprod.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: