Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heat and a/c options?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: heat and a/c options? Reply with quote

Last edited by PooMaster on Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, can you translate your post into English? Your post(s) are often difficult to understand and answer due to the poor spelling and grammer. I'm not trying to be overly mean, but I generally skip reading anything you post because of it and I'm sure others do the same. This severely limits the amount of information you will get back.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you are asking if the heat is sufficient and can you add air conditioning. If the heater parts are in good shape and functioning properly and you insulate the bus it will get hotter than you can stand. You can add an auxillary gas heater if you want; they were a factory installed item on some buses shipped to colder climates and avavilable from some dealers. Air conditioners were sometimes installed in the Bays, but it seems rare to find a working one these day. They weren't very efficient and drain much needed horsepower from an already underpowered vehicle. You can certainly get the parts and retrofit one, but it's a lot of work according to what I've read. I never tried to get the one in my '79 working and would have removed it if I had kept the bus since I kept bumping my head on it. If I were going to add one I would most likely look for the control unit from a Westy- they mounted under the passenger side dash. Swamp coolers only work in dry environments like the southwest; they are pretty worthless in the humid southeast.

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Mad
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no my question is: do the late buses have more heater blower options that dont require to much alteration to the bus ( so someting stock )? And also im wanting to get a 68 -69 bus and im wondering if there will be much of a diffrence between the late 60's split windows and the early bay's ( in heating )? sorry if this is still hard to read, i tryed to sound like i knew what i was talkng about Wink

Chase
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus man, for the fifth time go to www.type2.com and READ IT! EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know is THERE.

Here, I'll even do some work for you on this:

http://type2.com/library/heating.htm#1
Bajatacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW added a blower to help push air through the system (the fan attached above the motor with hoses leading to the heater system) in the later 70s buses. Of course it's pushing air from inside the emgine compartment so it kind of smells funny (but don't all buses).

Split windows ended in '67. If you want a '68- '69, why not look for a '71 and get disc front brakes.

You can install a bilge blower (here is an example- http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/ATT/ATT17314.html) into the heater tube under the bus to increase the air flow significantly. This is also discussed on type2.com. You can also add fans under the dash (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2431509379&category=6755).

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
Hunter S Thompson
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais. please read the "heating" section on typetwo.com and tell me if any of that answers my question. thanks for the replys guys

Chase
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, see, now that's just not the way to get results! You're confirming his suspicions that you're too lazy to find an answer for yourself, and you want it handed to you on a platter. Did you read any of the articles Chab. linked to? Try the Andersen one to start. If you really want a nice toasty van, search the forums here to find the articles about how to insulate your van. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read EVERY heating article in the link that cabeanais gave me ( i also read some of the blowers articles) and non of them said anything about what i was asking. im not looking for any hand outs i just want to get some feed back that is all. Every body comes to these forum to get answers and the only ones i am getting are " go to www.typetwo.com" i have been there!!!!!!! im not trying to be a smart ass its just getting frustrating. Thanks

Chase
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the pleasure of driving a split yet, so I don't know how they'd compare to a bay. I think there probably pretty similar in a narrow range of years like you're talking about. They have the same powerplant generating the heat, and a similar method to transfer the heat into a cabin that's reasonably close in size. As to easy mods, the easiest is to wire in a bilge blower into the heat tube under the van, and wrap the tubes in insulation. Follow the directions in the Anderson article to get your stock system up to snuff, then find some of the older info on this forum about insulating the van, and put the effort into applying it, and you'll end up with a van that's so warm in the winter, you'll need to roll the windows down! I can't recall the username of the guy now, but there's someone on here from idaho I think or NE Washington who started a couple threads about heat in a van that had great info in them. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PooMaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! thats all i was wanting. Very Happy
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tightened up all the heating channels on my 72 Westy. The system is stock with no leaks that I am aware of. Tonite for the first time I had heat from both heat exchangers going to my defrost vents with the blower fan running. It was 75 degrees out and I was traveling at 55 miles an hour. Some areas have something like a heavy leather like welding gloves wrapped around them. I could not hold my hand over the defrost vents without them burning. If there is a significant drop when it is cold out, then I will know that insulation will help, but it is plenty hot right now. No additional fan or pump will be necessary if the heat can be kept in the stock channels. Variance in the engine temp could have alot to do with it, though.

BTW, did VW ever make insulation for the heating system as an option? The stuff wrapped around my heating ducts looks tailor made! Like, the "Y" is wearing leather pants that snap down the side of the legs! All very neat!

I think this sight is more user friendly and more interesting than Type 2.com , and therefore appreciate it when the people with knowledge share it on this site even if the info is already on type two.

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Nomad Hatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure those little leather "pants" you're talking about are stock...both of my buses have them...

78 Bay
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: