Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A clangy sharp clinking noise...?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDeathMarch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: A clangy sharp clinking noise...? Reply with quote

I just bought this 1970 bus. It broke down on the first day and it turned out being junk caught up in the fuel lines. We cleaned that up and it ran strong for a few days and I took it around today and it ran strong except I noticed a clanging type of noise coming frrom the engine. Enough to make the engine sound louder. The bus sat for about 8 months but the owner told me that it was serviced and will do fine for a long while. Ha i doubt that but I love it. The engine also started backfiring a bit. Do you know what the problem could be?

Possibly the valves or distributor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my bus after sitting for 2 years. the engine was a mess so i took it appart. Lets start by checking the oil. never thrust the word of someone selling .They will do anything to get you on the deal. Not all are bad , but most are. If you know that the bus was off use for some tiome, you shoulded changed the oil,filter,spark plugs,condenser( if any) and checked all the wires from the sparks to the ignition.If the engine is equippd with electronic ignition ,check all conecctions. See if there are any wires that look bad and replace them.Is the engine original, or is an exchange?. Are the valves and rockers properlly adjusted?. What have you done so far to it?. BACK FIRING IS DUE TO POOR GAS QUALITY, TIMMING IS OFF OR IMPROPERLY SET. A spark plug failed and this can cause the engine to work on 3 but it will burn the gas on that cylinder and make a back fire and can brake the heads and /or pistons and rings. if the spark doesn't work at all, it might make the engine stall and even sound like clanking.Do you have a manual for your bus?. if so, fallow the tune up recomendations and the maintainace tips. If you need any , you can search this site for some manuals.Maybe yours is in there. There are alot of sites with technical help and advice, such as www.type2.com, www.germanlook.com, www.shoptalkforums, just to mention some. I want to help , so feel free to e mail me at [email protected]. Good luck;Danny,papun, allwaysapain,tortuga78,papun5880pr,danny70,daniel58,careeyblanco( just to mention some.Don't trust all you read.Take your own descicions and enjoy your bus, your life and your time on this earth to the max!!. Twisted Evil
nothereanymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, if you can't figure this out pronto, you risk cratering your engine. If you can't figure it out, get the bus towed to an aircooled mechanic. Kling Klang = stop driving, get fixing.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Christ, if it's been sitting for 8 months PLUS you don't know the history of this bus then you ought to start with the basics, (timing, new points, rotor, cap, check the plugs, re-build the carb & replace the fuel filter if you haven't, (if the fuel lines were gunked up, imagine what the carb is like inside). With the backfiring, I would check the exhaust for leaks 1st. Did you check ALL the fuel lines or just replace the one section? Replace them all if you haven't. If not, your next post on here could read something to the tune of:

"My bus burnt...HELP"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: