Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

For those with an El Lobo and LP front suspension
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: For those with an El Lobo and LP front suspension Reply with quote

Does anyone using the link pin with an El Lobo tub have any clearance issues? My chassis is ball joint front but I want to swap obviously but it looks like a tight fit already. I don't know that the link pin would fit under there. Looks like it might be to narrow and hit the underside of the tub.

Anyone have any input? Or could supply me with the tower width measurement, strut to strut?
TIA

Dave
Street Buggy currently under construction.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ellobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The l/p shock towers fit right into some pockets moulded underneath the front fenders. I don't know if the b/j front end will clear. You could always add a body lift and that will solve all your problems....
DSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellobo wrote:
The l/p shock towers fit right into some pockets moulded underneath the front fenders. I don't know if the b/j front end will clear. You could always add a body lift and that will solve all your problems....

You must be talking about this thing here. I was wondering if that was there for the link pin. I can tell you that a standard width ball joint does fit although there is not much room to spair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jedrattle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a 3in body lift with a 6in wider beam and lift spindles. The beam has no towers. You are going to have a problem the l/p won't bolt in place on the b/j front end. I cut the frame head off and plan to tube it out.
`87 Toyota 4runner-built to wheel
`04 Neon--wife's
`05 Dodge-A 3500 cummins 6 sp 4wd tugboat
`07 KTM 525-Dual sport!
A house, 1.5 dogs, no kids, and no $$$$
DSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedrattle wrote:
I am running a 3in body lift with a 6in wider beam and lift spindles. The beam has no towers. You are going to have a problem the l/p won't bolt in place on the b/j front end. I cut the frame head off and plan to tube it out.

Yea I knew that and was already planning on swapping the frame head to LP style. Thanks for watching out for me though.
dr. awsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is clearance issues between the shock mounts and the body just ad more body lift. This will also make it so you can run bigger tires and have more suspension travel with out hitting the body. Also where did you get your body and for how much?
DSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr. awsome wrote:
If there is clearance issues between the shock mounts and the body just ad more body lift. This will also make it so you can run bigger tires and have more suspension travel with out hitting the body. Also where did you get your body and for how much?

I could do that but I live in southern Maryland and we have no sand dunes or much of any off roading to speak of. I am building it for the street and strip.
I really don't want to lift up the body, I was hoping to tuck it in low over the wheels.

I bought the body on a rusted 66 Ball joint/Swing arm chassis for $200
Since then I have been doing my homework to see what to do with it. I was able to get a IRS chassis that I bought yesterday for another $200 That is the chassis I am going to build. Anyway..
Here is was the day I brought it home last winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dr. awsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to using this mainly for street use why do you want to put a link pin beam on it? A ball joint beam gets just about as much travel as a stock l/p beam and it will handle better on the street.
scott the viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, if this is a street car (mostly) stick with the ball joint front, you will be happier with the way it handles.

Play an accordion...go to jail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: