Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 questions.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: 2 questions. Reply with quote

1. Question i am trying to change my fan belt on my 78 bus because my old one is squeaking. i take off the pulley and cannot get the pulley off the bolt it is on Mad ????? any help here would be most appreciated. peace.

2. Question Do i have to remove the 46mm axle nut in order to build the rear brakes on my 78 bus?? help again would be greatly appreciated as i can tell my rear brakes are shot to heck. Confused Embarassed

peace

justin Shocked Laughing
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoaaaa there Freak! Don't remove the pulley. You need an allen wrench (6mm I think) to loosen the hex head bolt behind the plastic cover just above the alternator. The plastic cover is about 3-4 inches long and plugs into the engine tin. Loosen this bolt, but do not remove it. Now climb under the bus and look for the bottom bracket that holds the alternator. It should be obvious. Use a 14mm or a 13mm (I have seen both) nut with an open ended wrench and loosen, but do not remove this nut. After loosening these two nuts/bolts the alternator should slide back and forth enough to remove, replace, and adjust the belt.

You do not need to remove the axle nut on the rear drum to service the brakes. Remove the two 11mm bolts from the outside of the drum. Access the adjuster wheel through the small hole in the bottom backside of the drum and and back the shoes off by loosening the adjuster wheel. The drum will now come off, but it may take some work. Now go buy a Bentley Manual with the money you have saved by doing your own work. Good luck.
In a chartreuse micra-bus."
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man i appreciate it. i have a bentley manual. take care. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: