Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new engine but now will not turn over
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: new engine but now will not turn over Reply with quote

have got a new engine 1914cc had it running the other day for 10 mins but seemed very hot so turned it off it was firing twice to-day but now will not move all i get is a load click from the starter motor which is new.have tried cranking it over by hand but nothing it does not move,have tried rocking it in gear but will not move.if i tow it and then on a hill bump it will it cause any damage to the engine.please help have now spent over 5000 euros but not working
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound crazy, but does it have oil?
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: new engine but now will not turn over Reply with quote

yes has best quality oil plenty of it ,but it feels like its seezed the crank will not move when you rock the car or try to turn it by hand.put on new starter motor today turned over twice but now i just get a load click and nothing else
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot turn the engine by grasping the generator (or alternator) belt, you have a problem....Does this new engine have any type of warrantee?

Try a socket and rachet on the crank pulley and see if it will turn. Remove the valve covers and see if any of the valve stems appear lower than normal (indicating a valve dropped into a cylinder). On this "new engine", were the heads checked and gone through too?

If you cannot easily turn the engine by hand using the belt, something seized, or a valve is stuck, or a starter is locked up against the flywheel.
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: new engine but will now not turn over Reply with quote

starter motor not jammed have not dropped a valve.bought engine from mr chico at steelbuggin paid over $3200 and shipped to tenerife so i hope it still has a waranty .the engine has seized but dont know how bad.why it was not run to make sure all is ok before shipping i do not know.if any one has any ideas please let me know
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the performance motor forum. You'll get much more feedback there that may help you to alleviate your problem.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also post this question on Shop Talk Forum Engine list.. Those folks are the best at this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake UP.

Ship it back if it was DOA.

If they don’t take it--Get a lawyer!!!
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: new engine but now will not turn over Reply with quote

travelingtoad wrote:
have now spent over 5000 euros but not working

Quote:
Wake UP.

Ship it back if it was DOA.

If they don’t take it--Get a lawyer!!!

Easier said than done - he appears to be in Europe.

Mark

Last edited by markie61 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: new engine but now will not turn over Reply with quote

Quote:
shipped to tenerife

Tenerife: An island in the Canary Islands of Spain in the Atlantic Ocean. It is the largest island in the group.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I’ll be serious. Pull all 4 plugs and see if it will turn over should be quite easy with no compression.

2. Squirt fogging oil in holes and try again if not.

3. Remove rockers then Pressurize cylinder, and use tool to remove keepers and retainer. Spring and parts see if all valves fully close and attempt to turn it over again.
, ( http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=TZE0013&cartid=1007200518108422 ). This can be done with engine in car!!

4. What dose the Chico man say when you email him or call him on the phone. If he sent you a stinker he should pay freight to get it back.

5. Consiga a abogado
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alsehendo34 at last got a reply from mr chico at steelbuggin he says i put wrong clutch in which in turn smashed main baring in crank and seized the engine.i told him i had it running for ten minutes but never drove it.anyway he said if i take the engine out will find lots of bits of metal where clutch is then to take pics and e-mail him so i will keep you posted on what happens.
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to say thanks to all replys took out engine not seized just clutch and thrust bearing gone.was not told i needed a new style clutch untill i had problems even though i bought new gearbox and engine but finally sorted it out with mr chico but cost me $240 more.hopefully all will be will be fine let you know
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelingtoad wrote:
just to say thanks to all replys took out engine not seized just clutch and thrust bearing gone.was not told i needed a new style clutch untill i had problems even though i bought new gearbox and engine but finally sorted it out with mr chico but cost me $240 more.hopefully all will be will be fine let you know

If you bought the engine and transmission from the same person he should have told you of the new clutch. If that is the case he should eat the $240 not you.
annette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh i was just about to order an engine from steelbuggin please tell me what problems you have had with them.has anyone else had problems with this company

If you bought the engine and transmission from the same person he should have told you of the new clutch. If that is the case he should eat the $240 not you.[/quote]
vwmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he send you a Late trans then that's what should of been in the 73-74 Thing.You did specife the year right? Now if you installed the wrong pressure plate that was your fault and I don't see how you can even think that this is your builder's problem.Has he worked with you for other thing's I heard nothing but good thing's about Chico and don't see why he would not work with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused here, aren’t all 200mm clutch kits the same?

Glad you didn’t spin or crush a bearing like Chico was worried about.
I’m surprised he did not try and sell you a clutch kit with the transmission he supplied.

Can I ask is there economic reason to source an engine in the U.S or is it a quality decision that you made?
travelingtoad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwmotors wrote:
If he send you a Late trans then that's what should of been in the 73-74 Thing.You did specife the year right? Now if you installed the wrong pressure plate that was your fault and I don't see how you can even think that this is your builder's problem.Has he worked with you for other thing's I heard nothing but good thing's about Chico and don't see why he would not work with you.
vw motors is you mr chico what a fraudster,talking about fraud sent mr chico the 240 dollars but never recieved my new clutch and pressure plate have rung and e-mailed mr chico for tracking number but never received that ether contacted usps but they never sent a parcel to tenerife in october when mr chico said he sent it.so every body watch out for steelbuggin,vw motors or what ever name mr chico uses he is a fraudster ,conman,rip off merchant my new engine what a joke just like mr chico
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: