Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw h-beam rods chevy journal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: vw h-beam rods chevy journal Reply with quote

hello,I just bought a 86mm scat crank with 411 cm and chevy journals for a decent price(used),it needs the rod journals turned down so I took it to the machine shop today and they measure the journals and say yes it is a 2.0 inch chevy diameter journal but the letter next to the 86 on the crank reads "p" which they say means the crank was origionally porsche journal,I want to know what the width of the chevy rod journal is on the big end just so ill know if I have to modify some Yellow Ghia Yellow Ghia chevy rods and would this situation cause me a problem,Im definetely going over 200 horsys,also is 5.5 lenght too short for the 86 crank on the street?? please get back at me!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
FASTERFRED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWGEARHEAD...Here is what I think I know about you rod journal questions....Stock VW and Chev journal width at the big end is about 22.7MM or 0.895 inch...The Porsche journal width is about 20MM or 0.790 inch....So it seems if the orginal Porsche journal size (diameter) which is 53 MM which is 2.0866 is ground down to the 2.000 inch Chev there is also room width wise, to widen it from the narrower Prosche width (.790) to the the Chev width (.895). Widening probably involves taking material from both sides of the journal to keep the rod centered, proper filleting/radius at the corners and proper finish on everything....You can probably measure to see if the jounal has been widened....The question of rod ratio (what rod lengths with what stroke) is one of the bigger debates with VW engine performance and longivity....Most seem to feel a ratio of about 1.65 to 1.70 is a good compromise for a peformance engine....Your combo (5.5 rod X 86) would yeild a 1.63 ratio...Stock engine was a 1.98 ratio....A 5.7 rod would bring it up to a 1.68 ratio....Others will have some comments, but for a street engine the shorter rod is probably OK...Generally the shorter the rod the more torque will be produced at lower RPM....Longer the rod (higher ratio) the higher the power band will be moved up in the RPM range, so take your pick....I am sure you will now get other responses to your questions as there may be errors in my opinions.... Razz ....The Lizard...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: