Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More horsepower on a fuel injected Super Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marius K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: More horsepower on a fuel injected Super Beetle? Reply with quote

I have asked a couple of mechanics what options there are to increase hp on a 1600 FI Super Beetle. One tells me the only thing you need to do is to put on "bigger jugs," and that the Bosch Jetronic automatically will do the rest of the job and deliver enough air and fuel. He estimated about 80 hp after the job being done (1900ccm). Another guy tells me I'm stuck with my 48 hp if I want to stay fuel injected, and that I will have to rebuild to carbs if I want more power. Do any of you gentlemen have experience in increasing the power on a fuel injected beetle? Is it possible? How many parts will have to be replaced, and can the stock muffler be used?

I live in Norway where the hills are pretty steep, so I need the extra power, but I want everything on the car to look as original as possible, including the engine.
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much you can do to increase HP with the stock FI system. There are however a few things which may help your bug "feel" quicker off the line.

Obviously, make sure the engine is not "tired" (do a compression test) and is fully tuned up. Advancing the timing to a max of 32 degrees, assuming you're using premium fuel, will help a bit. Be sure to listen for pinging afterwards. Carefully loosening the AFM flap spring a few clicks may help too. This will enrichen the fuel mixture a little bit earlier.

I've done these mods on mine and it definetly "feels" faster. Not sure if there are any additional horsepower benefits however.

JP

79' Vert
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Advancing the timing to a max of 32 degrees, assuming you're using premium fuel, will help a bit. Be sure to listen for pinging afterwards. Carefully loosening the AFM flap spring a few clicks may help too. This will enrichen the fuel mixture a little bit earlier.

Sorry but I have to call this "bad advice".

If you decide to put in big bore P&Cs, improved heads, big cam or something like that you may need to do something to your FI system to keep it from running to lean.

Until you do stuff like that, keep the FI system completely stock and make sure it is running as it did from the factory. 87 octane gas in the US or 91 RON in Europe is what you want. Timing right on the money just like it is supposed to be.

If you decide to make some changes, the person to tune this thing would be someone who owns a exhaust gas analyzer and knows how to tune them correctly.

Improvements and performance tweaking are possible to do with the L-tronic and I would suggest that you buy the Probst Book on Bosch Fuel Injection. It is interesting and will give you some ideas. There are ways to do it correctly and safely for you and your engine.

My 2 cents, your money, your car.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marius K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions. I am still a bit confused. Does this mean that the L-tronic and the injectors are incapable of delivering a sufficiant mixture if I were to replace the cylinders and pistons with larger ones? The Bentley VW Service Manual describes a screw underneath the intake air sensor that can be adjusted to enrichen the mixture, but will there be enough air and fuel flowing through? The manual also says the same control unit and system is being used on several other engines, but not how powerful an engine it can serve. Were there ever made fuel injected engines for eg the westfalia or other vehicles with a more powerful engine, and if so, was the same system used?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a 2.0 L type 4 engine in my bus but I am not sure about the difference in things like injector flow rates with a 1600 type 1 engine.

I was thinking that the stock type 1 FI system was pretty good as it came from the facotry and could be "adjusted" with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, another fuel pump, and some CIS adjustments for up to about 2.0 liters+ of engine. I think a pretty good 1776 engine with some low end torque could be made just by use the stock FI system. There are a number of other systems out there also that may prove worthwhile.

I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV. I would pose that question to Ray Greenwood over here http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=23

I would also search around in there as someone has asked that very question I am sure.

Also that by pass screw just allows a certain amount of unmetered air past the AFM without counting it and has more effect on the total mix when the engine is at idle. In my 79 CA model bus so when I am hooked into the 5 gas EGA and with my O2 sensor unhooked (I don't have an idle stabilizer) at the catalitic converter, I can adjust the AFM bypass mixture screw to bring the system back into the correct CO range with that screw. In the states that is one of the numbers they are looking at for emission testing.

If you look inside the AFM are 2 "wheels" that the other guy was talking about. One adjusts the mixture for a "static map" condition and the other adjusts the mixture in a "dynamic mapping" process to allow for a richer mixture at a higher speed.

When you go to "tweak" things you must be very careful and have access to a gas analyzer along with a pretty good plan. Too lean or too rich of a condition and it will make short life of your engine as well as not giving you the HP kick you are looking for or any kind of fuel economy.

good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Quote:
Advancing the timing to a max of 32 degrees, assuming you're using premium fuel, will help a bit. Be sure to listen for pinging afterwards. Carefully loosening the AFM flap spring a few clicks may help too. This will enrichen the fuel mixture a little bit earlier.

Sorry but I have to call this "bad advice".

<snip>.

Randy, I can't imagine that advancing the timing 2 degrees from stock and changing the AFM spring action a few clicks toward richness would cause any harm. These two minor changes got rid of the a general "flatness" on acceleration, which seems to afflict the FI beetles. The car now drives like my old non-FI 74' did. Did my fuel economy suffer? Haven't really noticed and don't really care. Emissions? Don't know, don't care; it's exempt. There is no increase in engine temps, no pinging and a plug pull showed them to be nice and tan. Yes, I do us good gas (93 Octane) and I definetly don't lug the engine.

VW tuned these engines to meet emissions and maximize fuel economy. They also set them up to make sure engines wouldn't die a premature death due to crappy gas and high school cheerleaders lugging them around town all day long.

Not sure if I see any issues here but tell me if I'm missing something, as I appreciate your input. Thanks.

JP

79' Vert

Last edited by rzepko6194 on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Marius K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Is there anyone out there who has replaced cylinders and pistons on a FI with larger ones, and who is willing to share their experience? Surely I can't be the only one who has wanted a few extra horsepowers out of my stock engine? My Super Beetle is an all original 79 convertible with less than 20k miles on it since new. It is important to me not to make any visual changes, just as few alterations as possible to get a little faster up the hills to my cabin...
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call or email Dave at Bug City; www.bugcity.com. He may be able to help.

Good luck!

JP

79' Vert
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that advice really was not all that bad I guess, I just hate to see people futzing around in the AFM unit with out a exhaust gas meter since it can do real harm to the engine. Sorry. I get cranky sometimes.

Another thought. You have a 79 car with 20K miles on it means that it has sat for periods of time with gas in it or driven on very short trips.

I have found both of those conditions to be very capable of clogging up your fuel injectors. If you lived here, I would suggest pulling out those injectors out (since you should change out your fuel lines anyway) and sending them off for cleaning and calibration.

I use this guy www.cruzinperfomance.com but there is somebody like him in Norway I would assume. For me it was $60 or so well spent. When he did the injecotrs in my jeep 2 of the injectors were not flowing very well and were not spraying in that cone shaped pattern that we want to see due to dead gas (as it had not been driven in about a year when I got it). Big improvement in power after the cleaning.

Here are some of the injectors that came in a bus engine that I sent in since I will be overhauling it this winter. Dancing They were actually pretty good but I wanted them to be 100% going in. He replaces all the hoses and seals also.

Test pressure = 43.5 psi Injector No.
1 2 3 4
Test 1. Injector Resistance 2.5 2.5 2.5 2.5
Test 2. Leak Down Test (Pass / Fail) P P P P
Test 3. Spray Pattern (Good / Fair / Poor) F F F F
Test 4. 90 Second Pulsed Flow Delivery (mL) 74 74 73 73
Test 5. 100mL Pulsed Volume 100 100 99 99
Test 6. 20 Second Static Flow (mL) 75 74 71 74
Test 7. 100mL Static Flow 100 99 96 99

Test Results After Service
Test pressure = 43.5 psi Injector No.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Test 1. Leak Down Test (Pass / Fail) P P P P
Test 2. Spray Pattern (Good / Fair / Poor) G G G G
Test 3. 90 Second Pulsed Flow Delivery (mL) 76 77 76 77
Test 4. 100mL Pulsed Volume 99 100 99 100
Test 5. 20 Second Static Flow (mL) 76 76 76 75
Test 6. 100mL Static Flow 100 100 100 99
Approximate pound-per-hour flow 19.5 19.5 19.5 19.24

Parts Replaced
Pintle Caps Seals O-Rings Screens Hoses Clips
4 8 0 4 0 4

Comments
Install customer supplied hoses.

Here is ratwell' report http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/122556.html

Also I don't know if it is the gas formulation that we use here or what, but short trips where the engine gets hot and then cools down seems to make the problem worse in air cooled VW than other water cooled cars as the oxidized gas sort of cakes on the tips of the injectors. That also will diminsh flow and create a poor spray pattern.

Once more thought before you spend any real money, would be to do a compression test and a leakdown test if required to ensure the engine is all that it can be right now. Engine warm and with and without the "oil squirt" in there.
Marius K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all your useful info. I never would have guessed that the injectors can be calibrated. The engine is really not bad. It has been well maintained by the first and only other owner. Compared to other beetles I have owned it actually feels more powerful. It always starts the second I crank it, it idles a lot smoother than my earlier carburated ones, and it doesn't use or leak a single drop of oil. Even the push rod tubes are perfectly dry. Compression is excellent.

Part of me says it's stupid to start messing around with an engine that practically is a virgin. Another part of me is probably hoping there is a simple way to just bolt on bigger pistons and cylinders and then zoom away. Best thing is obviously to do as you suggest, and have the injectors, and maybe the AFM adjusted by professionals and see if I notice a difference...

By the way, how fast is an original Super Beetle supposed to run? And how quickly should it reach that speed? I'm not planning to take it to the race track, I just wonder what I should expect from 48 modust horsepowers. When my throttle pedal hits the floor I rarely see the needle above 80 mph (unless I go downhill.)
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any modest modification will hardly be noticed. Even increasing the output 25% is only going to yield 12hp. Will you feel it, sure, will it make that much difference on an freeway onramp, probably not. Drive it awhile and you'll get used to its limitations. I've owned my '79 for 22 years. It's bone stock. 230,000 miles on the clock [rebuilt once at 191,000]. Is it fast? No way but it has always performed well enough to get me where I want to go safely. One side benefit, I've never received a speeding ticket while driving it.

One other thing, no matter how carefull you are, if you crack it open to swap barrels, it'll leak. Murphys law.

-jeffrey
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marius K wrote:
<snip> By the way, how fast is an original Super Beetle supposed to run? And how quickly should it reach that speed? I'm not planning to take it to the race track, I just wonder what I should expect from 48 modust horsepowers. When my throttle pedal hits the floor I rarely see the needle above 80 mph (unless I go downhill.)

How fast? Not very; zero to 60 in the 16 second range and top speed of not much more than 80.

My 79' Vert is the slowest vehicle I own but it's the most fun to drive. It takes some concentration and anticipation to keep the speed up, especially when there are hills!

JP

79' Vert
Mike J. Goode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think VW claimed a top speed of 82mph for those. Consumer Reports in '76 listed a 0-60 time of 16 secs, highway fuel mileage at 34mpg, and a top speed of 81mph. The fuel mileage was amongst the best of all the cars in its class. Performance was about average, maybe slightly below but not that bad for the day.

Use a search engine for Custom and Speed Parts-I think they offer hipo exhausts for Fuel Injected Bugs
convertible79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, my convertible runs over 90 miles per hour, sometimes almost 95 and engine is bone stock, but rebuilt once. tires are stock radials, so odometer shows speed correctly.
Marius K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a stupid question, but how do I tell how many degrees advance timing I have on my beetle?

And another stupid question:
Did VW ever produce a special tool for replacing spark plugs on the FI engine? When having AC installed in addition to injectors, side mounted air cleaner and a bunch of hoses and wires you really need a few extra sets of joints on your arms to be able to reach them...
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: More Horsepower from a Fuel-Injected Super Beetle Reply with quote

Marius K wrote:
I have asked a couple of mechanics what options there are to increase hp on a 1600 FI Super Beetle. One tells me the only thing you need to do is to put on "bigger jugs," and that the Bosch Jetronic automatically will do the rest of the job and deliver enough air and fuel. He estimated about 80 hp after the job being done (1900ccm). Another guy tells me I'm stuck with my 48 hp if I want to stay fuel injected, and that I will have to rebuild to carbs if I want more power. Do any of you gentlemen have experience in increasing the power on a fuel injected beetle? Is it possible? How many parts will have to be replaced, and can the stock muffler be used?

Question Are there any good aftermarket exhaust options for the fuel-injected engine in a late-model Super Beetle?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out this site for FI info and products:

http://www.cbperformance.com/default.asp
TiredandWornARTifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: More Horsepower from a Fuel-Injected Super Beetle Reply with quote

Bugs'n'Pugs wrote:

Question Are there any good aftermarket exhaust options for the fuel-injected engine in a late-model Super Beetle?

Vintage Speed now selling 2- a "sport" and a "superflow". Jut ordered, and can't wiat to see what difference if any, it makes.

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/Pre-1979-Injection-Beetle-High-Performance-Muffler-c33978116
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: More horsepower on a fuel injected Super Beetle? Reply with quote

Wow!, for that kind of $ it better be dramatic! Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: