Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kadrons- fuel pressure regulator questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: kadrons- fuel pressure regulator questions Reply with quote

I'm running a pair of kads on the stock displacement 1600, which is (finally) going into my 181, and want to add a holley fuel pressure regulator. where is the best place to locate it? i am currently running the stock ball-socket kadron linkage (yeah, i know, ditch the linkage, but it is working fine, so i am going to stick with it) which has the fuel supply line "t" fitting mounted to it. Should i eliminate the "t", bolt the regulator to the fan shroud, and run a line from the pump to the regulator, and then out to the carbs?

Of course, further to this question is another one- do i need the regulator? can i take the quick and dirty approach and simply shim the fuel pump with a couple of extra gaskets and achieve the proper pressure?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a mechanical pump, i've not needed a regulator.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a stock pump on a type 1 engine usually run, pressure wise?

Ronnie Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 0-12psi. You don't need a regulator because if you need to drop the pressure you simply raise the pump by adding gaskets, or shortening the pushrod, until the pressure is where you want it.

the problems are often from using replacement bakelite spacers, many of which are too thin, which kicks the pressure up (I've seen 12psi). Do not assume pressure is ok "because the pump is just stock".

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clayster89
Samba Pitman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you dont need a regulator with a mechanical fuel pump but if you want an electric there great i think, i have an electric fuel pump i love it you can get them at napa auto parts but dont forget the fuel regulator my regulator was about $75 now that i have both i love it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayster89 wrote:
i have an electric fuel pump i love it

What's so great about an electric pump?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clearsurf2001
Samba Vaccinator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with John on this one. Sears sells an inexpensive vacuum/pressure guage that you can plumb into your fuel line to verify what pressure you have. Many regulators are installed (if you go that route) without checking the pressure before the installation (and more importantly) after the reg is installed and "set". I've found that aftermarket regulators should be verified and that their settings should not be assumed accurate.
mharney wrote:

I think Glenn has an EMPI crank in his engine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, the chrome "regulators" with the dial on them belong in the dumpster, do NOT use these POS.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done the "gasket shim on the fuel pump thing".

Just for discussion purposes:

To go from say 5 psi to 2 psi how many would you probably need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myolbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On AJ Sim's site; http://www.lowbugget.com/help_section.html , he recommends 1.5-2.0 psi for Kadrons

I second what John said about the chrome fuel pressure regulators. Total Garbage!!! Not worth the cost of the metal they're made from.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

candyman wrote:
i broke my brain over ten years ago and its still dumb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third it then, those dial regulators are simply a restriction in the fuel line. They "might" work on a stock engine, but anything else they cannot keep up with the fuel demand.
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D.K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Holley fuel pressure regulator installed on my car. I used the bracket that came with it to mount the regulator on the firewall, and it also acts as the "T" fitting to supply fuel to the dual carbs. I'm also running a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do is simple.

If you have a stock pump, shim to achieve desired pressure.

If you have an electric pump and NEED a regulator, use a good regulator, we stock the Holley http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=fsp0009

it's worth noting this regulator doubles as the fuel line T, with 1 inlet and 2 outlets.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
mitcharvey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

myolbug wrote:
On AJ Sim's site; http://www.lowbugget.com/help_section.html , he recommends 1.5-2.0 psi for Kadrons

the reg at aircooled.net looks great but does it have too much pressure at 2-7psi?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
The Toolman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What to do is simple.

If you have a stock pump, shim to achieve desired pressure.

If you have an electric pump and NEED a regulator, use a good regulator, we stock the Holley http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=fsp0009

it's worth noting this regulator doubles as the fuel line T, with 1 inlet and 2 outlets.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

John, if I order the regulator from you for my dual 35's I bought a coupla weeks ago can you set it at the low setting for me before you send it? I don't have a pressure gauge available to me down here in the Ozarks to set it to.

EDIT--By the way, can you use regular pipe thread barbed firttings for 1/4" hose in this regulator?

Ronnie, The guy that calls all the time Laughing Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2psi is OK for K-dogs. There is no way to preset the output pressure without knowing the inlet pressure. You need a gauge to check the pressure to know IF you need a regulator, use that to set it after installation.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: