Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My absolute FIRST VW...Ever!!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manOsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: My absolute FIRST VW...Ever!!! Reply with quote

Hey folks, well she came into Cape Coral, FL this week from Ohio and I can't get enough of just lookin' at her. It's so bad that during half time, while watching the Giants/Redskins game, I went out to the garage, sat on that front bench seat, cracked a frosty cold one, and then I just told her of all the plans I had for her and US. I know that sounds strange but I'm stoked about the new ride. Here in South FL we really don't see too many of these, so every time I go for a drive there is always people pointing, waving, and staring(I just hope for the right reasons).

Anyway, she's a '64 13 window deluxe. She's got a 1600 D/P that runs good. I haven't had her over 45mph yet, but the tranny seems to be in good shape also. She leeks a little bit of oil, nothing major. No original rear seats just a fold out from a westy, good enough for now. She has the typical problem areas, both rockers have bondo and are needing replacement and the rear corners have bondo and are pretty dinged up.
The part that really scares me is the ROT in the front wheel wells. I haven't seen replacement panels for these, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. The paint job speaks for itself(straight-up HIPPY) but the original paint still looks pretty good and when I get around to it I'll strip that hippy paint off.

My plans for her is to do tthe straight axle conversion with the dropped spindles and narrowed beem. I've been reading all of your posts and trying to soak up enough info to make a somewhat of an educated decision. Most of you guys and gals have some sweet rides!!! My biggest thing is I don't know where I should start. I need new seals all the way around, body work, oil leak, I'll probably start with the seals to make her water tight and then just go from there. Anyway, thaks for reading and let me know what you think or if you have any recommendations. Here are some pic's. Hope this works
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes...yes...it's a mermaid

Now that's some serious Flower Power.

COOL Indeed

She'll live....right Doc?

Last edited by manOsteel on Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus, even the hippy paint is pretty cool.

I would say do the importnat stuff first, good engine and brake servie.

Drive it and enjoy it before you fuck it up with all that straight axle bullshit. Wink

That welding you have to do is easy, you dont find panels for there because the so easy to make yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to talk with a bunch of other bus owners in FL, come to Bulli Brigade in Tampa on 11/12/05.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but first thing is first: Do a thorough inspection of the brakes and front end and replace whatever is necessary before attending to the body issues. Also, check the tires for cracks/unusual wear. Basically, if it moves, inspect and replace when questionable. Good luck and have fun.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manOsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doveblue3 wrote:
If you want to talk with a bunch of other bus owners in FL, come to Bulli Brigade in Tampa on 11/12/05.

I plan on being there, I just hope she'll be ready for the trip.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason they point and stare is because you have a naked mermaid on the side of your bus!

Any interior shots? Good luck with your project =)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool score! Cool

Now go ahead and start rubbing off all that cheesy painting so that the original paint can really shine! Razz
manOsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Kool score! Cool
Now go ahead and start rubbing off all that cheesy painting so that the original paint can really shine! Razz

I started a little bit with removing the peace symbol on the passenger side door, but I got a feeling it's gonna be a long proceess. I'm thinking about trying some of that easy off, but I'm afraid of damaging the original paint.
Hella Bro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God knows that's the condition I like to find buses in....OG paint with half ass paint over it!!!
Id use a mixture of laquer thinner/rubbing compound/ fine to medium steel wool and 6-pack and hit that baby. Looks like a turquoise or velvet green, cant tell by pics.
Good luck an have as much bus fun that you can bear!!!!
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manOsteel wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Kool score! Cool

I started a little bit with removing the peace symbol on the passenger side door, but I got a feeling it's gonna be a long proceess. I'm thinking about trying some of that easy off, but I'm afraid of damaging the original paint.

Kool! Cool I thought you'd react by going into convultions and twisting yourself into a pretzel, but it seems like you do have the right idea! Razz

Don't give up just yet! Keep at it and though it may take a long while you will be much happier with the results! Wink
grateful65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, reading your first post made me smile. I was the same way when I got my first split window. Of course I just bought my sixth one two weeks ago and I still had that giddy feeling. Very Happy
happydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that it made it down there alright. Also happy that you are happy god knows I'll miss her, treat her right and she will do the same in return. Keep me posted on what you do and how you do it, I'm kinda curious.

By the way it is turqouise with the blue white top.
manOsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happydriver wrote:
Glad to see that it made it down there alright. Also happy that you are happy god knows I'll miss her, treat her right and she will do the same in return. Keep me posted on what you do and how you do it, I'm kinda curious.

By the way it is turqouise with the blue white top.

Will do, and you likewise, keep us posted on that 15 window project you got. Just about time for an update?
happydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just picked up a tranny for it so now I am waiting on metal. Other than that it is a complete shell and ready to get fixed. Just been picking little odds and ends here and there for it. Glad everything went good with the transport.

Let me know if you see any 58' to early 62' 15 windows at the Bulli Brigade. By the way how far is that from you? Later
manOsteel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me know if you see any 58' to early 62' 15 windows at the Bulli Brigade. By the way how far is that from you? Later

It's probably a 2 hour drive by car and I'm guessing a 3 hour drive by VW bus. Do you think she'' make it?
happydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell ya what, I would definately get those vavles adjusted, grease everything, change oil (motor and tranny), and cross your fingers. I only stress these points because I just drove one about that same distance that should have made it without thinking twice and 15 minutes from home wouldn't ya know it something happened. Also make sure you get a fire extinguisher for that thing, not just that one in particular but I have heard enough horror stories that I wouldn't think of leaving home without one. Other than that do what you thinks right I know she always made a 45 minute trip going 60 -65 just fine.
Shifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to a fellow newcomer to the world o' the VW bus! I picked mine up Saturday and I know your feelings of wandering into the garage for no apparent reason, just to spend some time looking at your VW(s) and smiling...

Wink

Shifty's Spraywerkz / Parrot's Hot Rods and Kustoms, Oklahoma City, OK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmgbus wrote:
easiest way to get top coat of paint off without ruining orig vw paint is to use oven cleaner. (outside due to fumes) certain brands work better than others. spray on foam, leave for between 5 and ten minutes, keep an eye on paint, use plastic scrapper ie icecream lid etc to test paint to see if softening, then hit with high pressure gurney and repeat process, (dont try and scrape paint off, use pressure cleaner.)takes a while but you are left with orig paint, being enamel. if you leave it on too long it will eventually soften enamel too.

advice given to me, don't know havent tried it but maybe worth a shot
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations.

I just picked up a 64, 13 window myself 2 weeks ago.

Dave
DeluxeMike
Alligator Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet..............another splitty in SW Florida.

It looks good. Minus the hippie paint of course.

Let me know and we will go through it and make sure it is ready for Bulli Brigade.

Foreign Policy
www.fpvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: