Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One more thread
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: One more thread Reply with quote

and the bays will be 1000 ahead of splits......

I will be converting my daughters 77 Westy rear brakes over to Vanagon self-adjusting brakes today.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no idea on what is involved, but me thinks that having self-adjusting brakes would be a swell idea.
(As possibly the world's worst mechanic, I always turn the stars the *wrong* way) Please let us know how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dingo
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this accomplished ? as hort description would be appreciated.

D
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would she need self adjusting brakes?

She has you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a direct swap from 80+ Vanagon...... but you have to get all the parts.

I did a write about it a year ago on the type2 list.
http://www.type2.com/archive/type2/134242.html

"Vanagon self-adjusting rear brakes on a late bay!

People have asked if this will work. I said I would try it on my 77 Westy when I needed new rear shoes. Well,
my bus let me know it was time at the beginning of the week. And this weekend is half-price at my local Pick a
Part.Smile So I went down and I had 4 Vanagons to choose from. I picked the one with new-ish looking FF shoes and
new fag wheel cylinders. Removed the hubs. Unhooked the emergency cables, they just slide out. Disconnected
the brake lines. Removed the 13mm headed bolt from the back side of the cylinder. Removed the 2 17mm headed
bolts at the bottom. Drove out the alignment pin from the bottom backside. Backing plates were off, complete
with shoes, springs, and cylinders. I did not like the drums that came on this van, they had been turned when
the brake job was done and looked a little thin. So I picked over the others til I found a pair that still had
the original bevel and very little wear. All the pieces, 2 backing plates, 2 wheel cylinders, 4 shoes, 2
drums, and all the springs etc cost me $50.

I went home and cleaned up the complete backing plates with soap and water and brakekleen.

Removed what was left of my rear brakes....the right side was wasted, along with the drum.

Took me an hour total to convert over to self-adjusting brakes and I was out driving the bus! It is a bolt-on
swap; as long as you get all the pieces at once. People have been saying the Vanagon center hole to reach the
self-adjuster star wheel is in a horrible place, it is on a Vanagon. But when you put the backing plate on a
bay, it is easy to reach and see above the CV joint. The Vanagon lower control arm is different and bigger.

The only reason I got the Vanagon drums was because I knew the right one was wasted. The bay and Vanagon drums
are different along with the part number. Bay is 211 609 615, Vanagon is 251 609 615. I did a bunch of
measuring on both drums:
Both drums have the same wear limit: 9.980"
Both drums have the same width shoe surface: 57mm.
Both drums have the same outside diameter on the wheel side: 10 3/4".
Both drums have the same outside depth: 3".
The only difference is the diameter of the 1/2'' wide additional material at the bell edge.
Bay diameter is 11 1/16"
Vanagon is 11 1/4"
The matching difference in the backing plate is the width of the space between outer and inner raised lips.
You can use bay drums on Vanagon backing plates; but you cannot use Vanagon drums on bay backing plates. Make
sense? The Vanagon drum outside bell diameter is bigger and it will not fit inside the lip of the bay backing
plate. I don't know why you would do this unless you got a deal on the Vanagon drums.... but at Bus Depot, the
bay and Vanagon drums are the same price, 49.95 each. Both bay and Vanagon use the same wheel cylinder. 211
611 047 F _at_ $15 each."
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this a few times on the T2 list, and have been trying to visualize it...

You remove the backing plate, hardware and shoes and all?

You said the drums are interchangeable, but are the shoes? Cylinders? Any problems with the parking brake cables?
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to go 100% Vanagon on the shoes, backing plate, and hardware to make the self-adjusting system work.

Bay and Vanagon wheel cylinders are the same:
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211611047F

The bay drum fits the Vanagon backing plate but the Vanagon drum will not fit the bay backing plate.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you feeding your cat, Don?

Holy shit!!!
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
I was thinking of doing this but never got around to it. I'm glad someone confirmed that it works.

DurocShark; Go to the wreckers and compare vanagon and bay brakes. You will get it. Shouldn't be too difficult in So.Cal. The vanagon brakes are essentially a self adjusting version of the bay brakes.

My idea was to take the entire hub and brake assembly. That way I would be sure to have all of the parts. It's quite possible that the wreckers would charge less for the assembly than for some of the parts. Hard to tell with wrecking yards.

One of those things I've just never gotten around to doing.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
What are you feeding your cat, Don?

Holy shit!!!

Look here!

Josh, I'm not in SoCal anymore. A couple weeks ago I found a bay at a junkyard here and nearly crapped I was so shocked. Shocked

Busted Bus is nearly ready to fly again. Can't wait...
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this works with 71 and up brakes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamSpatula wrote:
I assume this works with 71 and up brakes?

Should work fine as long as you use ALL the Vanagon parts.

Bay backing plates are the same 71 to 79:
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211609425PR
Only difference was the 71-73? used retaining pins and springs and VW dropped them in 74 [I believe, off the top of my head].

71-79 rear drums are all the same:
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=211609615
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:

Look here!

Do these people ever leave the house? 36 THOUSAND posts??? Laughing
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steponmebbbboom wrote:
DurocShark wrote:

Look here!

Do these people ever leave the house? 36 THOUSAND posts??? Laughing

It's all about technique.

Look at us. Karl has been here longer than you and I, contributes much more than we do, yet he only had 1500 posts here. I don't know about you, but I just babble I think... Embarassed
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Brakes are self adjusting but you can't just forget about them.
They have to be checked every once in a while. They have a tendancy to just wear on one spot of the shoe if they are left on their own. On vanagons it's sometime called the "double pump" or you get better brake presure if you give your brake pedal a pump before you stop.
I don't know if this would happen the same on a bay, I would think so since you are using all the parts. Not saying it's not a good Idea to convert your brakes. Just remember to check them like yearly or so and you should be quite happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: