Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you use for heat while camping AND driving?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: What do you use for heat while camping AND driving? Reply with quote

As fall sets in (wet and cool) here in NWPA, I am starting to think about putting my 76 Westy to bed for the winter. I would like to go a few times in October before I put it away. I'm wondering what people do for heat while camping. I've read some people wake up and boil water- water heats air and radiate heat+ make tea.
I've thought of the little coleman propane ones. They look like they'd heat the place right up. I'm usually at a place with electric, so I guess I could get a little electric one.
I've seen some people with a modern mounted heater (propane I think) I'd like to know a little more about those if anyone has any info.
Any other tips/suggestions?

I'm also wondering about while driving. I have heat ducts in place, but the cables don't open the valve. It doen't look like the cables are connected properly. One isn't connected because it's missing the bolt to hold it on. Are these available? Any other options?
aross229
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: How do you heat a bus Reply with quote

I used to use a small coleman propane heater that had a plastic base. I have a bench seat in my 69. So I hung a curtain up to help keep the heat where I needed it. It had a handle on it so I could (carefully) pick it up to defrost or deice in some cases the window. When I lived in PA I would often take trips in cold weather. I remember that my right leg was nice and toasty while the rest of the bus was quite frigid. I move out to the NW and now my heating system is connected and work??????? Only young once. I think the coleman was ok but the heat control know was very porly designed. It seemed to be either full on or off. While I am sleeping in cold weather I crack the little popwent in the roof that the previous owner cut in??? and use a small back packing candle latern as a heat source. I have it hanging on a string safely so danger is at bay. This will keep the windows from gather a ton of condinsation. Best of Luck
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to stay in a campground in the Canadian Rockies on ski trips, with an electric heater and some sleeping bags. Not bad really. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a coleman catalytic heater overnight. I have a carbon monoxide detector in working order, and I place that above the heater. It has never gone off and I am still alive, but I can't swear it's safe. I hear the propane heaters create a lot of humidity inside the van and the windows will fog and frost up.

You can wire open the flaps that allow heat to go to the inside of the van. I have used electrical wire ties. I have also used a spring with a hook on the end so I could just hook and unhook the heater flaps open and closed. I also just ordered a heater cable, but I know I have a problem with the tube that the cable goes through, the old cable is stuck inside. If you mean the bolt at the heater control box, you probably mean the barrel nut that the cable goes through, and these a readily available at any VW parts distributor.
Rich
72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Nomad Hatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a cheapo power inverter from Wal-hell and one of those little electric space heaters...it's not really cold down here in the south yet, but it feels like this should warm the place up pretty nicely. Plus, if you're camping somewhere with electricity, you just plug the heater in!

Of course, the inverter will probably wind up torching my electrical system somehow, but at leat my ass will be warm when I start trying to hitch a ride on the interstate! Wink

78 Bay
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine an electric heater could suck your battery dry pretty damn quick! Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beset thing to keep you warm on those cold morning drives is some good ol' jack daniels. no having to deal with the dangers of fire, or hot boiling water. unless of coures you want to turn the heat on all the way have a good hand rolled smoke, used from quality tobacco like TOP.
just kidding of course

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone worried about heaters? Smile

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coleman Blackcat heater is a propane fuel catalytic heater that is safe for tents and other enclosed areas. Do not use any other type of propane device to heat your bus or you may wake up dead. I have used a Blackcat heater for several years to heat my bus and they work very well. I think they are around 5000 btu. I also have a small ceramic heater I use when we have electric hookups at the campsite. I purchased it at Home Depot for less than $20 and it also works very well. Be Very Happy sure to follow the directions that come with the heater and you should be warm and safe! Happy camping!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Coleman Blackcat heater is a propane fuel catalytic heater that is safe for tents and other enclosed areas. Do not use any other type of propane device to heat your bus or you may wake up dead. I have used a Blackcat heater for several years to heat my bus and they work very well. I think they are around 5000 btu. I also have a small ceramic heater I use when we have electric hookups at the campsite. I purchased it at Home Depot for less than $20 and it also works very well. Be Very Happy sure to follow the directions that come with the heater and you should be warm and safe! Happy camping!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real funny Mofo! You may not be cold but how's the rust treating you! Very Happy

I run BN4's in my buses for heat. They work great.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the dayzwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweatshirts and sleeping bags

TOUGH IT!
llamas1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Texas and am looking forward to winter camping. But when It does get cool enough to require heating I'm going to use a small AC box heater.

As for driving I do have a question. If there is an exhaust leak into your heater boxes wouldn't you smell it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: