Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early 70's convertible for sale?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busgurl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Early 70's convertible for sale? Reply with quote

Well I went to look at a 72 Super Beetle Convertible today but alas it wasn't the car for me so I had to let it go but I am still very interested in getting a super Beetle convertible (preferbly early 70's like 71/72). Anyone know of a car thats for sale that might match what I'm looking for or know of any good websites to check for one online besides ebay and samba? Hopefully on the west coast but I am always open. I'm not looking for a car that's a million bucks and mint but rather something that may need a little work and that has "personality"!

if you have any tips - let me know Laughing

Thanks!
Abby
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abby - Heres a tip...ever own a Beetle before? if your planning on buying a VW Convertible, first off all get a std. I have bought a few semi-auto's, what a pain in the ass. Also - I'd say get a Beetle, dont mess around with those Super's - Most of us in here will say Beetles are much better. I am neutral, but if I did have the choice I would buy a reg over a super anyday. If this is your first time, I would have someone look at the car that knows VW's well before you spend your budget. What is your Budget, and how far West side are you looking for? You shouldnt have much trouble to find one. Most of us will also tell you if you want a nice ride, get a earlier VW Convertible (that is most of ours dreams!) So good luck, and let us know what happens in the future!
JC
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good site is Oldbug.com. Very thorough descriptions of cars for sale. Always some verts on there and this is a good time to look as the season is winding down and prices will be lower.

IMHO it's less critical what kind of Beetle you get (standard or super) when you're talking a vert. First of all there's fewer of them out there because fewer were built. Second, the real fun of a vert is driving with the top down, and that feels the same whether it's standard or super. Third, if you're starting out and you want something to drive every day a Super rides better (when the front end is tight) and has more pep unless you're going to spice up the engine. Finally, just like when buying your first home, start with a less expensive one (like a Super), get used to the demands and expenses of it, and then move to the more expensive and rarer older models if you still want to.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79Super offers good wisdom- don't get caught up in the super vs. standard debate- the biggest thing is to buy the best car you can afford- no matter what it is. Then drive it and enjoy it!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early '70's flat-windshield Super convertibles seem to be rather few and far between. Probably because they were abused to death in the '70's before owners realized that the Beetle Convertible was going bye-bye. The later '70's convertibles seemed to get more respect earlier in their lives because of this, and are generally in better condition.
IMO

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: