Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! Sounds like my engine is going to shake out of the car
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrklaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: HELP! Sounds like my engine is going to shake out of the car Reply with quote

To start, I have a 74 Super, I'm not sure that my engine is the same year.

Ok, So I really need some help figuring out what to do here. About two weeks ago my engine strarted making an odd rythmic squeaking noise while idling. When I would start or stop the engine as well as when I first started out it would make a strange noise (almost like grinding, but not quite).

Yesterday, my Gen light started flashing, then came on solid and has been on since. When it went solid there was an odd smell in the cabin of the car. It smelled a little like a clutch burning or someone in front of me riding their brakes to much. When I looked in the engine bay, it didn't have the same smell, though the smell persisted inside the car for a short while afterward. When I looked at the engine while running, the gen/alternator (I'm not sure how to tell which) is shaking a whole lot more than it should be. There is a ring around the front (towards the front of the car) of the gen that looks like it should have a bolt through it, but doesn't.

Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated as this is my only means of transportation and I'm really scared to drive it again.

Thanks
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That generator strap needs to have a bolt run through it. It's what holds the generator to the generator stand/oil filler. If it's not there and your fan isn't perfectly balanced, it can wobble around.

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
mrklaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. That was my first guess.. Any guesses as to why this would have just started. I'm not positive, but I don't think that bolt has been there for a long time.

thanks
57bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably has been missing for a while. but old crap bonds itself together like you wouldnt believe. probably rattled itself loose finally would be my guess???? the bolt should be there and its a good place to start.....good luck josh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrklaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.. the more I look at this, the more I think (hope and pray) that this is my problem. Otherwise, I don't know how I'm gonna get home from work, as I definitely don't want to drive it anymore.

One more question, how do I tell if I have a generator or an alternator?

Thanks
Jeff H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrklaw;

My guess is with these guys. That generator strap definitely needs to be there and bolted in. Fix it quickly before you do damage to the fan - which is the heart and soul of your air cooled VW.

One tip about securing bolts: Put a drop of lock-tite on it and it will not vibrate loose. If you don't have lock-tite, use a little dab of silicone gasket maker. Same effect.

JSH
mrklaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've got an update. I just put a bolt through the gen strap its not shaking any more, but it still sounds pretty bad, and the Gen light is still on. The noise seems to be coming from the cooler fan. What is the best way for me to check this out. Do I need to remove the whole fan.

Thanks
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would. this can be a tough job with the engine in the car, but it can be done. You'll need to reach around behind the fan shroud to undo the BAN (big ass nut) holding the fan to the gen/alt shaft, undo the retaining strap, take off the fan belt, unbolt the cover plate and slide the gen alt off of the fan. (When you take off the BAN and the fan, be careful not to lose any of the shims back there.) Sounds like the gen/alt has seen better days, or it's possible that the connections may just be loose from all that vibrating. in any event, you will want to check on the fan and the shaft for any damage- this is critical.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Jeff H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more thoughts...

If this engine is in a 74, and IF it is stock, wouldn't it have an alternator rather than a generator?

Anywhoo, I think a damaged fan is the most likely culprit. However, you may also have a bearing shot in your generator. That would definitely make noise, and could result in no charging.

JSH
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: