Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmisson whine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Transmisson whine Reply with quote

My transmission is sounding rather noisy. The bus sat for a good amount of time before driving again recently. It is a growling nioise kind of sounds like gerrrrrrrrrrrrrr, errrrrrrrrrr. How do I go about having the fluid checked out. It does not pop out of gear or anything like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would take it to my local garage or fix it guy and have him change the transaxle fluid. I think you can use something around 80 or 90W. I think I used 85-140 or something like that. Even if that doesn't help at least you will know when it was done last. Sometimes they get water in there for some reason. Don't let them overfill it.

Here is another thought....

sometimes the shifter will produce a vibration if the bushings are all worn out in there. VW spared no expense in coming up with the cheapest bushing they could find and they are just a little pathetic plastic thing. I bought a new kit from either the busdepot or busboys. Mine had a vibration in mostly 3rd gear and the new kit fixed it. There is a bushing that is always gone in the front and another one further back that you can get to. The other ones you can't get to without real work.

I think there is a better description of the fix if you go to the Archives section here or over to Type2.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pogolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your bus fuel-injected? I mistook the sound of my electric fuel pump for a growling transmission. Otherwise....it's easy enough to drain the fluid. You just need a giant (14mm?) allen wrench.
nothereanymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 17mm allen. Thje grrr noise: when does it happen? At idle in neutral? Driving in a particular gear? It could be a multitude of things from the shift linkage to worn gears, bad syncros to dry/worn cv joints. More info needed.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs when I am accelerating and if while I am accelerating I let off the gas it kind of jerks while slowing down makes a sound like "gererrrrrrr errrr errrr errr errrr with spaces in between the sound just like I said. Like its slipping and catching on and off. But the transmission responds and operates perfectly. I can definately feel the sound in the shift rod though. The transmission just sounds a little grumpy I dont feel it is bad for some reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nothereanymore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. That could even be a lumpy burned flywheel/clutch scenario. I wouldn't like to steer you in the wrong direction, so maybe it would be better to have a mechanic to have a test drive. Good luck.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doubt it. I just installed a new flywheel and german stock bus clutch. The sound is coming from closer than the flywheel
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you change your transaxle oil ( GL-4 but NOT GL-5 ) adjust the nose cone mount. Loosen the 17mm bolts that hold the big metal plate and watch to see how much the transaxle drops as you take the plate off.
Loosen the 17mm nuts on the front of the transaxle and lower the mount assembly about 1/4", you'll see the old position "dirt-scribed", retighten and reassemble. As you tighten the 17mm bolts/plate, the transaxle will rise about 1/4" higher than it was. Now your shift rod will be stress-relieved and transmit less gear noise. You will also have a little less longitudinal movement when you back off the throttle. Try it. 10 minute job.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: