Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'60 Repair panels........
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shifty6d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: '60 Repair panels........ Reply with quote

My '60 Hardtop needs a front clip, front hood and rear apron. Does anyone make these aftermarket? All the ads I see show a clip and hood that only goes back to '61 or says '67 down. How interchangeable are they for those years? I'll buy the repair panels individual and weld them up if I have to. I really want to do the clip and apron right since that is all fab/welding repair, I could deal with an "almost right" hood for now and find a better stock one later. If none are made, is there a good source for stock parts anywhere? I've had little luck in the classifieds so far.
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were mine i would find a donor car and get german metal. I have never bought repair panels , but a lot of post on here say it's not as thick . Also the stampings are not correct , the new parts may not fit as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airhead22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to buy German metal and I too recommend it there are a few real good salvage yards here in Arizona so it's rust free, if you need any help locating parts let me know.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna need all used stuff. Your '60 has the early style brake res. shelf, and tank hole, a 4-tab, crest hood, and an "H" rear apron. None of these are available aftermarket. Depending on how bad yours are damaged, you might be able to use pieces of the new stuff to repair yours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shifty6d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense. If I need use stock parts from other early bugs so be it. The rear apron isn't so bad, it just got pushed a little towards the driver's side and has a tear on the right hand lower corner. If I'm understanding others posts on here, the "H" aprons are a little hard to locate, so KantDriveFasts suggestion will probably be the way to go on that end. The front (apron, tire well) isn't beyond repair, but the two inner fender side panels (wheelhouse?) are pushed back to the point that the fenders leading edge and hood front third don't line up. I suppose the only way to fix this would be to have a salvage yard cut off a clip and I'll rob those panels, or just use the whole clip? If this is the case I'll be getting in touch with airhead22 probably, unless there is a place closer to Nor. CA?

-Thanks for all the help. I'm used to classic American metal - this bug stuff's a little different...........a little addictive.....
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just the sides of the front clip you need, the new panels might work, or you can cut the front clip off the '64 I'm parting out, and use the sides from it? I'm in Nor-cal too. Let me know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: