Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

speed-o Q!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: speed-o Q! Reply with quote

so now that its cold up here in New England i noticed that when i'm driving there is a painful high pitched screaming noise coming from my front tire on the drivers side. now i know its not the bearing or anything like that because when i put my hand on the speed-o i can feel it vibrating along with the high pitched noise. it also comes and goes and when that happens the needle jumps back and forth. so how do i greese this bad boy up? is it hard to do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess. But I've seen problems with the speedo cable, where it needs to be greased and it should be good to go.

Just remove the cable and lube it up real good and re-connect it.
Matt Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may not be the right thing to do. when this happend to me, i disconnected the speedo cable from the speedo and squirted a little bit of wd-40 into the speedo through the hole where the cable attaches. it smoothed right out and has been doing fine for the last 4 years.
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the previous posts, I'd do both of them. But I'd lube the cable first, try it and then lube the speedo. That way you'll know which is the culpret. If it's the cable and it breaks, it's no big deal, however getting a speedo repaired is a little more costly.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the spedo needs lubing when this happens, but I'd do like the man above suggested as doing both wont hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say use grease, some graphite. The WD-40 method works as does any kind of liquid lubricant. Just spray or pour it down the speedo cable conduit.
bluesharp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spraying WD-40 into the back of the speedometer where the cable attaches did the trick for my 67's noisy speedometer. Had to do it several times before the noise went away for good. It's been almost 2 years and the speedometer is still doing fine.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wait on lubing the speedo! The little gears are notorious for seizing up after so many years. If you lube them in time, problem solved. If they seize up, they break the cable and it might require a speedo rebuild or a replacement (whichever is easier for you). I know from experience. I had the all the same symptoms. When I finally decided I really should hurry up and do it, the gears froze up on the way home. DOH! d'oh!

I guess it was meant to be, because I had my speedo rebuilt and all the jels replaced. It looks like brand spankin' new! Very Happy

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: