Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle Engine Tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1975sunbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle Engine Tin Reply with quote

I've recently saved a 75 Sun Bug from the scrapper and the previous owner replaced the FI engine with a 1972 AE carbureted dual-port. There is quite a large gap, 2"-3" on left and right sides of the cylinder shroud tin. The rubber engine bay seal is in place, yet this gap remains and doesn't allow the top of the engine bay to be separated from the bottom as it was engineered. Is there a difference in engine tin between dual-port engines? I've looked on earlier beetles (all I could find) and there is ribbed steel (integral to body) on the left and right sides that juts out 4'"-5" from the inner well and butts up against the cylinder shroud, whereas my 75 super seal follows the curve of the engine bay until it meets the firewall. Any expertise is welcome, as I have scanned the net and have only come up with lovely pictures of people's powder coated engine tin.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 75-up cylinder tin IS different. your best bet would be to find the right tin for the year of the car, rather than trying to fab something. Unfortunately, it maybe impossible to find it aftermarket, so you may have to scour junkyards for FI tin.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Jeff H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones;

Is the configuration of the 75 different because of the fuel injection?

JSH
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the tin was wider by about 3" and even alittle wider on the flywheel side on 75 standard (my experience) and on supers. The way I fixed it years ago was to cut out the side panels that the engine compartment seal is in from an earlier donor car and reweld them in place of the 75 panels. Or find the correct tin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry jeff, i completely missed your reply earlier. Timgud is right. I think the thinking behind the wider tin is because of the added width of the fuel injection lines- so, they widened the opening for the engine, and therefore the tin is wider.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
1975sunbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle engine tin Reply with quote

All,

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks for the insight. Show me in the breaker yard.

Todd
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI,

The Sun Bug was a 74 only car. In 75 they had the La Grande Bug.

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: