Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

050 Distributor timing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: 050 Distributor timing Reply with quote

I know the advance curve is different than the 009 so the 32 advance trick wont work. What would be the proper timing for the 050

1974 Rivera
T-4
Webber progressive
New Bosh 050
Rebuilt with 10,000 miles
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are refering to the strictly mechanical distributor, I used one for about 15,000 miles in my 1700cc Westy. As I recall, I just set it at 7.5 BTDC at idle, just like I did my 009. I figured I just got more advance from it than from the 009. My plugs always looked good, kinda whitish/tan. My mileage was what I consider to be a typical 21-24 mpg. It ran a little hot, but not from too much advance. What follows is taken from an article that can be found in the library at www.type2.com. (I'd like to credit the author, but I would lose what I typed if I tried to jump back, sorry!) There's other helpful distributor info there as well.

"Its advance characteristics are similar to the Brazilian manufactured "009" (there are some that were made in Germany as well, and they say "Germany" on the bottom of the can, and have different advance characteristics, too). The "050" has a smoother advance curve (flatter line on a graph of rpm/degrees advance). The advance kicks in at around a hundred RPM lower than the "009," making it more suitable for use in a van. The "050" also advances to a greater degree, around 26 degrees at ~3100 rpm, while the "009" poops out at ~2650 RPM with a total advance of about 21 degrees. These numbers are approximate, and will vary between distributors and reference literature."
Good luck,
Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BluBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I set it up just below what I set the 009 to and it works great nice low end pickup
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: