Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow oil?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seth25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Full flow oil? Reply with quote

I am building a 1776 engine for my 72 super. I got the case bored for full flow oil but I have never installed one before anyone have a diagram or anything to walk me through this?

I am planning on using the oil pump with filter.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have the case tapped for the return fitting, then you don't need to use the filter-pump.
seth25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: full flow oil pump Reply with quote

Can I use the filter pump and with a return line off the pump to the case? Or do you suggest getting the set up that is shown in the picture?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your case has been tapped... get a remote filter setup.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seth25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: full flow oil pump Reply with quote

where should i get the setup and I know there are a lot of different kinds. Are there better brands than others?
TWD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berg sells a very nice kit. Make certain that you have your pump modified.
3rdfunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWD wrote:
Berg sells a very nice kit. Make certain that you have your pump modified.

What modification has to be performed on the pump? I have heard this before and I was curious since I'm planning on building the motor on my beetle.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to tap and plug the outlet in the body of the pump so the oil is forced out through the cover.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
seth25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: full flow oil pump Reply with quote

Where can I get this done? or is it easy enough to do myself. Also what size plug will I need? is there a place that shows how to do this?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but a oil pump already plugged. Or you can tap the passage and plug it yourself. Just use red locktite so it doesn't come loose.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
kombi211
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: type 3 full flow set up Reply with quote

in my searches i have found a post where someone is taping and plugging a case for full flow a little different. Its being used in a type3 which is a little tight in there with the full flow plate to start. but with this set up looks like there is no need for the oil pump cover upgrade and even having to block off the oil pump. By what i see is it flows threw normal oil passage and when it get to the blockage in the block it is forced out to the filter and the back in the the case on the other side of the plug in the case. Looks nice and clean to me and you could end up saving your self some cash that you can invest some where else in the motor build.

[/img]
tkmwaters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: full flow Reply with quote

Can you drill and tap a type 1 at the same locations? Thanks
wjoef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I have read the blog about pulling the oil gallery plugs and installing threaded plugs. The author says you can use steel or aluminum plugs. How about brass plugs?

2. When setting up for full flow oil filtering, do you plug the outlet in the oil pump AND the gallery it leads to, or just install a plug in one of those locations?

Karmann Ghia - a German Alfa Romeo or an Italian Porsche?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full flow set up Reply with quote

kombi211 wrote:
in my searches i have found a post where someone is taping and plugging a case for full flow a little different. Its being used in a type3 which is a little tight in there with the full flow plate to start. but with this set up looks like there is no need for the oil pump cover upgrade and even having to block off the oil pump. By what i see is it flows threw normal oil passage and when it get to the blockage in the block it is forced out to the filter and the back in the the case on the other side of the plug in the case. Looks nice and clean to me and you could end up saving your self some cash that you can invest some where else in the motor build.

[/img]

I've looked at that photo in the past (I used to drive a Squareback) with some interest, but...
1) The wall thickness of that area looks a little skinny.
2) What separates the two holes inside that bore to guarantee that oil flows through the filter, not bypassing it? What is the "blockage in the block"?

If you end up using the filter/pump combination, check your muffler's heat riser tube. You'll need a muffler with the heat riser tube on the right (passenger) side to clear the filter, without serious modification of the filter pump.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: type 3 full flow set up Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
2) What separates the two holes inside that bore to guarantee that oil flows through the filter, not bypassing it?

A brass plug.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn-
I've seen that photo before, but I've never seen that setup "in person".
It seems to me that if you need to drill and tap that bore for the brass plug, the best way to plumb it would be the traditional way, like in the first illustration.

Seth-
Take a look at Canton/Mecca filters before you make your final choice.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wjoef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I have read the blog about pulling the oil gallery plugs and installing threaded plugs. The author says you can use steel or aluminum plugs. How about brass plugs?

2. When setting up for full flow oil filtering, do you plug the outlet in the oil pump AND the gallery it leads to, or just install a plug in one of those locations?

So you can use brass plugs?

And then the second question about whether you have to plug both the gallery at the pump outlet side and the pump outlet also? Do you have to do both, or is one ok? And which location is preferred?[/quote]

Karmann Ghia - a German Alfa Romeo or an Italian Porsche?
robclark63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking through some old posts...my advice to you is to get the Gene Berg kit, read the directions, find a place that makes braided lines and measure out from your taps and buy new lines cause the ones berg sells with it are too short. When installed correctly it makes a very nice application!!! Let me know if you want some pics posted...

1972 SB
2011 Ram 1500 Sportsman
04 Corolla
67 Shane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjoef wrote:
Quote:

So you can use brass plugs?

And then the second question about whether you have to plug both the gallery at the pump outlet side and the pump outlet also? Do you have to do both, or is one ok? And which location is preferred?

I have the same question. Old thread but the question wasnt answered. I have seen advice on both ways. Do you need to tap and plug the passage in the case or just the pump itself only? Im getting ready to do this so knowing wether to tap and plug the case and pump or just the pump is some much needed info.

Case is machined for full flow already just getting ready to build it and want to know so I can plug the pump. Wanna make sure if I need to do the case galley also I get to it and not just do the pump.

We can put this topic to rest so people using the search will find their answer from now on...... pump plugged only or what?

67 Euro Type 1.
67 SO-42 Westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: