Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 ball joints
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: 69 ball joints Reply with quote

I just picked up four new ball joints for my 69 camper. When it came time to have the new ones pressed in, the guy at the garage said that he couldn't do the tops because they are not the same as the lowers. The uppers ( old ) do look diffrent, they do not have the oval looking shaft for adjustments. I looked through all the catalogs I have, and they all list the same ball joint for uppers and lowers. Anybody else have this problem? Can I just have the same balljoint pressed into the upper asrms too? Will this cause a proble when it comes time to adjust? Any help would be appreciated. My whole project is stalled because of this. Looking forward to any and all help! My e-mail address is [email protected] Thanks again!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: 69 ball joints Reply with quote

I owned a '69 Westy for many years and yes the four ball joints should all be identical. Perhaps a PO has changed them in the past with the incorrect ones?! It is rare to have to change the upper ball joints, as usually the lowers take the most pounding. The torsion arms can be removed in order to make it easier to re & re the ball joints. I've always found it best to have a veteran German mechanic, who really knows the older VWs, do this type of work.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: 69 ball joints Reply with quote

Sounds like your talking about the eccentric adjuster.... it should come off using a "pickle fork or a puller of some sort if neccesary and be put back on when putting the spindles back on....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: 69 ball joints Reply with quote

Thanks. I will check the eccentric adjuster on the upper joints. The garage I took the arms to is definatly not a VW garage, but noot quite "shadetree". I had the arms off, and figured that any garage with a press could do the work. I have the arms and two remaining joints at work, so I will let you know what I find tomorrow night. Thank you for the info!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: 69 ball joints Reply with quote

Look in a decent manual like the Bentley Factory manual... geez.. I hope they lined the nothces up on the first ones..... a common mistake when taken to a 'non-vw" type shop for this procedure....good luck....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: