Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine tin
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: engine tin Reply with quote

I have put on a left side(driver side) heater box that is non-emission as my Westafalia was a Calf. emission bus. I thought I could get away with just replacing this and getting a muffler that would fit.
Now the lower tin does not fit. Any ideas out there on what years I could look for that will fit this left side. I am doing away with the cat. coverter and have put on a EMPI muffler. Thanks.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: engine tin Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a 75-78 bus and you put on a one-piece 72-74 heater box?
How did you get any type of muffler to bolt on?!?
The 72-74 heater box has two exhaust ports and 3 bolt holes for the muffler. The 75-78 heater box has a single port with a 3 bolt triangle gasket.
I have the correct lower tin for either heater box. P-mail me.
abacab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: engine tin Reply with quote

It is actually a 79. The muffler was bad and I wanted to put a different muffler on it. The original was a strange setup. The drivers side(which I replaced) had the cat covertor running along side of it. The port that contected this to the crossover was round. The passenger side has a 2 port box. Now all matches up, sounds good but a little worried about the tin. I need the whole left(drivers) side. The left(drivers) side box has 2 tapped screw holes that I suppose is for the tin.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: engine tin Reply with quote

OK now this makes sense... your email lost me:) You turned a 79 Cal engine into a 79 Fed. The left heater box you put on had square flanges, correct?
There is no smog laws where you live?!? What did you do about the O2 sensor?
You need the left lower tin from a 72-74 bus or 411/412.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: