Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with unlogical idle problem please!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Help with unlogical idle problem please! Reply with quote

I have a 1972 karmann ghia that i use as a daliy driver to school-1.3 miles away, then to work-10 miles away and everywhere else i need to be which is never more that 20 miles from home. the engine is a 1600DP with stock 34pict-3 carb, 1:25 rockers, mild ported heads and end casting, gt exhaust, aluminum intake, brazilian fuel pump, 009dizzy w/electronic module and thats about all on it but the other day coming home from work the car started missing between 1500-3000rpm at steady speed, a very light missing that almost felt like just a bumpy road but it wasn't Confused. so i push the clutch in and the tach goes down past 850 to 500 then dies. i restart it easy but it still misses and won't idle so i have to jiggle the pedal to keep it alive. tying to keep it at 2000rpm or less won't work so i pull into a parking lot to see WTF is up and i can't get it to work Question Exclamation . get home and everything works-fuel cutoff-ok,fuel ok,mixture screw ok, idle mix ok,choke open,no vacum leak, no bad valve noise,plugs great,timing at 30 full advance, dwell at 50, good connections, i got no idea Mad. unplugging the choke wire helped barley which made the choke stal on alittle. today i try it all again and swap fuel pumps with a nicer brazilian(that possible?) and perform two $1.98 tune ups- putting hand on carb and reving to suck out crap- nothing works! ANY IDEAS!
ps the engine oil was at 195'F that day and 175-185 today with 70 degree weather
FASTERFRED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWDMC....Always somewhat difficult at a miss to determine wether or not it is a fuel or ignition problem....First guess would be fuel, but a richer mixture (choke on longer) can disguise an ignition problem....Do you have a filter in the line going to the carb....Even if you do the carb can still get crapped up as the filter media goes bad, can't expect too much from a $1.00 plastic filter....Would remove the carb and blow out all the passages with carb clean and compressed air...Take the top off and see what's up in the bowel....I had kind of the same problem and turned out to be the 009 dizzy...Is the dwell really steady at all RPM?.....Is the timing advancing smoothly with increased RPM and then dropping back as idle approaches?...Should be able to get an idea using the timing light....Plug wires may also be bad or burned at ends....Look at the inside of the dizzy cap....Start it up at night and see if there is any spark jumping business with the wires....Would hurt to check the valve clearances too....Had a coil that went bad and gave the same missing problem when it heated up....My ideas, hope you get it..... Razz ....The Lizard....
sickbug19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my baja I had a similair problem when I was off-roading in the middle of nowhere in the rain my baja started to run rough and it wanted to die. In order to keep it going I had to keep giving it gas but it kept on dying on me. So I ran around to the back and looked at the carb which is a single 36 Dell and saw that the throttle shaft arm had came lose or should I say striped. So I tighted it and made it home. I'm not saying it might be your linkage but hey, you never know!
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for vacuum leaks too.
MikeLsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 74 super when I got it. It was carb related. Mine was worn, bent and fairly well abused so it needed to be replaced. It idled and ran great with a new 34 PICT-3 installed.

If yours is still ok and not worn or leaking, you chould be able to clean out the passageways and do a simple rebuild.

Mike
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

thanks for your input guys but still the problem prevails-the car is nw with just 800 or so miles on it, the fuel pump has only 2k miles on it the fuel filter was replacce 2 weeks ago and it was one the first things i checked and it was very clean- only a pen tip size bit of dirt. the valves have .002" clearance cold which should be fine with my chromoly push rods- they have never complained ever about that clearance, and all my plugs and wires have 1200 miles on them and look great. the engine can't be running on 3 clyinders because i've driven around on 3 on purpose before to learn how it feels. the car still has the same amount of power as a week ago.
my only remaining idea is that the fuel lines or gas tank screen is clogged some where- the lines are new also.
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a pic of the motor w/o the aluminum manifold. also you may say the copper lines are restricting but they don't- worked last week
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/249526.jpg
ps i meant to say carb is new not the car :lol:
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/249526.jpg[img] Cool [/img]
trents72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the image link for you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive dug in alittle more and i believe the problem must be the fuel delivery so i pulled the tank and it had a good bit of crud in it so maybe that helped but it's still no runnimg champ. another wierd thing i heard was the starter surging when i started it and it took five second to start running. this sounds like a cylinder may be low on compression so i'll look into it tomorrow Confused
RonR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the idle jet and blow it out.
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again thanks for your help guys, my compression goes as follows #1-120,#2-122,#3-125,#4-140psi, that #4 is a weird cylinder because it has a bad intake valve guide only when you turn very hard and long to the right-it sucks oil form the valve cover in the cylinder and makes a great james bond smoke screen for about a minute Cool which is rather unsafe to all other secret agents and the public Laughing . anyway i re-adjusted my valves and they were very tight so corecting them might have helped to. the car is almost like it was, just alittle missing so i will blow out that jet and that should do it. thanks again to all. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: