Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The ONE That Got Away
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four years ago, I looked at a 1955 kombi that was about forty miles from Chico. It actually belonged to the man's mother, hence, the color was pink (she had painted herself, inside and out)). It had been stored outside on her driveway for years and had a good engine but it was undriveable (brakes, battery). The body was in good shape and he wanted $2,000 for it or $1,500 without the engine. I talked to him about it a few months later and he had raised the price $500 and he said he was going to list it on thesamba.com.
Did someone out there buy a pink 1955 kombi?

Some 15 to 25 years ago, K&W Autowrecker here in Chico used to have three to six split-windshield buses at a time. I remember that some of them would have been worth fixing but there wasn't much of a demand for old buses back then and I was usually broke. Once, the owner told me that usually the popout windows hadn't been sold and they were on the bodies when they were crushed.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Old thread, but still relevant. I had an opportunity to pick up 2 split buses that were sitting in a friend's field around the year 2000, for free! Granted, they were motorless and had busted windows....but I was (and still am) a VW Beetle guy, and didn't have much interest in the buses. 2 or 3 years later when I noticed the crazy money they were going for (in almost any condition), I went back to this guy and he had sold them for scrap! Live and learn...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli

Last edited by sportin-wood on Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

One more that haunts me to this day was a "Thrifties" find in the San Diego Union Tribune Classifieds back in about 1990 or so.

In order to qualify for the Thrifties section back then, the asking price on any item could be no more than $500.

It was a 1958 Double Door Walkthru Panel Bus, dead player, 4 old bias ply flats, dirty, small amount of rust, but totally complete. It had both bumpers although the pressed rear was tweaked and sitting on the ground next to it, original 36hp, hand crank, tool roll, absolutely all of it was there, and my memory says it had an ambulance fan, too.

The entire exterior had been painted white and it had big black logos on it, "CATALINA ISLAND GIRLS CLUB"

I remember hemming and hawing and thinking that I didn't really have a place to stash it while we revived it.

Miraculously I left without even making an offer.

It went around and around in the classifieds and the guy eventually called me back and said something to the effect of "gimme $200 and get it out of here".

It was up north in the Valley Center/Escondido area.

I never saw it or heard another word about it since.

Back in that timeframe it was likely it went to Interstate VW junk yard and got parted out.

Anybody ever see or hear anything about it?

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

flipseat subhatch in the suburbs of Sacramento. I had went to school with the guy, friend of a friend, it was spitting oil out the center of the case, I asked why he didn't try a breather or something first. He or his brother also had a double cab front single cab bed they were working on. Some of you likely remember these 2 buses.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

I have had a few that I missed out on.

An original paint logo'd '62 turkis singlecab that was sitting in a garage since the '70s. You could see it if you peeked in the window. The old guy would always say that he would sell it, but he didn't have the time to get it out of the garage. I offered to do all the work, all he had to do was open the door. Alas, he never would sell it. He died and the truck got sold, and then sold again to a friend of mine who absolutely loves it, so I am happy it is in a good home.

A '50 panelvan, which I really should have bought for $8k in the early 2000s. But I got one that I like way better now, so I am not bummed out anymore that I missed the first one.

A '58 panelvan with a factory ambulance divider. It was parked in a driveway in Nevada forever. The lady would never sell, saying that she had given it to her son who lived in a different state. Last time I drove by, they panel was gone, and the house was for sale. So I called the realtor, explained my plight and told him that I would give him a grand if he could get his clients to sell it to me. He really liked that idea. He called back ten minutes later saying that it was definitely not for sale.

The buses that I cut up in the '90s when they were worthless would make a grown man cry. Sunroof standards, deluxes, westfalias, etc.

Now the ones that didn't get away, that list is a lot more fun.....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

In traffic, probably 10 years ago, I found myself behind a truck pulling a scrap metal trailer that had a complete barn door bus on it. Complete down to the little round tail lights! I followed him for about 2 miles honking, waving, flashing my lights trying to get him to pull over.

He finally pulled over when he took the turn into the metal recycling plant and didn't stop until the trailer was on the scales.

I jumped out and told him I'd pay him A LOT more than the scrap value. Went into the office of the recycle yard and pleaded my case. You CAN'T crush that bus! I'll pay you dearly for it. Do NOT crush it!

Response: Sorry, once it's been weighed on the scales there isn't anything we can do.

DAMNIT!
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

This is my story of the first 23 window I ever saw. At the time i lived on a small farm site in rural Minnesota ,the year was 1985 or 1986 . I was always working on my old 60 beetle and I knew what busses were but my knowledge was very vague. There was a very small town on my school bus route. The school bus that I rode on on school days would drive through this small town and on the south east edge of this town there was a pile of cars that were salvaged out and being prepared for scrap . On the top of the pile was this weird bus that had roof windows. The rear of this bus was very visible. It appeared that someone cut the hatch and moved the floor below the window upward.They did a really good job to because the engine cover was gone but it was completely enclosed around the engine.I eyed this bus every school day through the winter in to the spring. I was only 14 years old and wished I could or had a way to buy and extract this bus. Until one spring morning it was gone along with about three other cars. I was so bummed.Then about ten years later I actually realized the real gravity of the situation when I actually discovered what a barn door was. I thought to my self ,yes I have actually seen one before. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Busted-bolt on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Replying to the post above: After all these years, I've never seen a real 23 window. Been to plenty of shows in the southeast too.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Ran When Parked wrote:
Replying to the post above: After all these years, I've never seen a real 23 window. Been to plenty of shows in the southeast too.

Go to a Florida show like Bulli Brigade? I'm sure there will be one there
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, there have been a few ^^^^^^^^ that got away Crying or Very sad

The one that bothered me the most was a mid '60's Doublecab, white w/ a red vinyl interior, softball size hole in the rear floor, needed a starter @ a Denver dealership ($2500 asking price) in 1982 or so, they would not trade me even for my '73 Opel GT which I had paid $2500 2 years before, so I walked... Rolling Eyes a month later the wiring in the Opel GT melted down.
That barndoor was in Northern N.H. in 1985, couldn't get any contact info, never went back to hunt the owner down... Embarassed

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Lind knows about this one (correct where needed LB): A fully original, drivable that weekend, complete '56(?) or '57 blue Kombi- all the seats, crank handle and white beltline pinstripe. A well-known bus but I was the first one who went through proper channels when the owner passed in the mid 1990s. Waited several weeks for a phone call from the Good Samaritan home, a local non-profit who was declared(left to) handle the estate. They had my parents phone number as I was in college and changed phones/addresses every other month and wanted stability. They called, told my mom if I still wanted the bus I could have it for $250. Mom gave me the message about a month later...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

[spoiler]I've always been a ONE Bus guy, and fortunately that one never got away, I've owned that Bus for over 32 years now, got it for my 17th birthday - the blue and white in my gallery.[/spoiler]

But long ago... there was a guys house I'd go over to and play guitar, we'll call him burnboy.

A Bus makes an excellent bandwagon, you can carry the entire 4-man band, instruments and all (short middle seat sideways, L-shape), so I'd always drive my Bus over to burnboy's parents house, and it would sit out front of burnboy's parents house while we played loud music, many times in a month.

The kid down the street from burnboy, took a liking to the Bus after a while, and he and his Dad purchased a '66 or '67 all white Westfalia pop-top, probably the most dent free and complete OG Bus I had ever seen, that interior was museum quality. The original owner that sold this to the Dad and kid down the street, knew what it was and took the best care of it possible. This small court now had two Bus's in it.

One night while driving around that area, I saw that kid sitting on the curb next to the Westfalia, a couple of blocks from his house. The engine had stopped working, that's all I was told. He said he was thinking about selling it and was going to have it towed home. He told me $1800, this was in 1992 or 1993.

Now burnboy, whom had never cared about Bus's in his entire life, suddenly had to have this Westfalia after another respected musician in our area kept complimenting my Bus, and saying how much sense it made for how little gas they can use, and how much you can fit in them. Burnboy knew I had the ability and means to fix this Westfalia, but gave me this doe-eyed speech about he's always loved them, and he would fix it and take the best care of it, on and on - the wishy-washy dreamer type (like a lot of wanna-be musicians are). So I backed off, and said buy it.

Burnboy buys this museum level Westfalia, with the engine that doesn't work(?), but won't let me help him fix it, or even look at it, turn it over by hand even; only sits out in front of his parents house clam-baking the thing inside. Kind of guy who didn't want you to steal his glory by finding the problem and fixing it, even though he was entirely incapable of fixing - anything. Guy ruined more input jacks on amplifiers by stepping on his own cable, all thumbs and two left feet.

Fast forward two years, all burnboy has done is stink up the curtains inside, the engine is still an unknown, no one was allowed to look at it. His parents are making him move out, and sell this Westfalia, and now he wants $3500.

I, nor anyone else that knew burnboy and his story's, wanted anything to do with his BS, or his inflated asking price ($3500 in 1994 was steep), so that Westfalia went to SF, and that's the last I knew of it. Heard it was spotted on the streets of SF not long after burnboy sold it, lowered now, and with a $4000 price tag (can't confirm any of that).

My anticlimactic story hour is now officially over. Thanks if reading.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Two that got away (and two others that were in the stratosphere).

One was a factory sunroof non-walkthrough with an m-coded ambulance divider. The guy that owned it and wanted to sell it to me joked that it must have been owned by a family with a lot of rowdy kids. I think he wanted $5k for it back in 2003 or so.

Another one was a late split mostly complete Westy, completely driver condition for about $4k. I think that was in about 2006.

The other two were simply out of my price range - a '52 singlecab and a completely restored '63 Westy with the bumper mounted tent and Vacation Waterfarer fiberglass roof-mounted boat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

One was a factory sunroof non-walkthrough with an m-coded ambulance divider. The guy that owned it and wanted to sell it to me joked that it must have been owned by a family with a lot of rowdy kids. I think he wanted $5k for it back in 2003 or so.

Another one was a late split mostly complete Westy, completely driver condition for about $4k. I think that was in about 2006.

The other two were simply out of my price range - a '52 singlecab and a completely restored '63 Westy with the bumper mounted tent and Vacation Waterfarer fiberglass roof-mounted boat.

Sounds like 3 of those were Bob's and the Westy with the boat was a 1961, not a 1963.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
peecee69 wrote:

Sounds like 3 of those were Bob's and the Westy with the boat was a 1961, not a 1963.

Yep, you’re right. I was looking at pictures of it today. Definitely a ‘61. Bob has been a great friend for at least 20 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

abuspilot wrote:
Anyone else out there really regret not buying a particular bus (not buses but bus). I'm not talking about the one back in the 80's when they were cheap, but recently.

Our buddy Fielding offered us his cherry '66 13-window for a great price, right when buses were getting red hot. This bus needed nothing, and I regretted not buying it, but the planets didn't line up at the time. I have no photos (which is probably a good thing because it would make me cry).

After a false start with a turkis '62 Standard that we ended up flipping, we finally landed a '59 panel I was determined not to let slip away. I would have really regretted it.

Heinz Nordhoff
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

I was at Solvang in like '05-'06 and spied my Holy Grail- A Binz. Sure it had been hit on the nose. And, I think the Bulkhead was missing... And, overall it was rough. But, it was a Binz!! I believe it was for sale for 3.5-4K with a replacement Bulkhead and maybe a front clip. And, I had the $$. It just looked like a bunch of work..... Rolling Eyes Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, as they say.

I think Derek Greg stepped up. If so, it is in much better hands.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

I was at a bus show in the 90's with my 65' bus and an old guy comes up to me and says" I have one of those in my garage", he leaves me his name and number. I didn't really give it much thought as I have a lot of people that confuse splits/bays and vanagons as one in the same.

Anyhow I give him a call a few weeks later to arrange to have a look. I arrive and he opens the garage door and there amongst a pile of junk, stands an original paint 1953 23 window deluxe with complete interior, seats etc.. My jaw almost fell on the floor! Anyhow to make a long story short I wasn't able to get the deal done.

Since that time the bus has made its way to California and seen some of the best in the business make it is what it is today

Here it is now

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2480085
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I was at Solvang in like '05-'06 and spied my Holy Grail- A Binz. Sure it had been hit on the nose. And, I think the Bulkhead was missing... And, overall it was rough. But, it was a Binz!! I believe it was for sale for 3.5-4K with a replacement Bulkhead and maybe a front clip. And, I had the $$. It just looked like a bunch of work..... Rolling Eyes Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda, as they say.

I wonder if that is the Binz that was in Iowa for a while?
"Old Arnold" from Zearing had the Binz and two 1952 Porsches on a big trailer recovring them from eastern Washington ? when there was an accident and the Binz went off the trailer and down the mountain. A couple years later they went back after it. And it sat for sale in Iowa for approx $4000. It was bent but not horribly. missing the Binz tag tho. Should, coulda.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: The ONE That Got Away Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
cru62 wrote:

I wonder if that is the Binz that was in Iowa for a while?
"Old Arnold" from Zearing had the Binz and two 1952 Porsches on a big trailer recovring them from eastern Washington ? when there was an accident and the Binz went off the trailer and down the mountain. A couple years later they went back after it. And it sat for sale in Iowa for approx $4000. It was bent but not horribly. missing the Binz tag tho. Should, coulda.

I wound up with the Binz with the bulkhead cut out from DG.
It did have its Binz tag included.
Its on hold but will get finished when I move back to the USA.
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: