Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hiback to lowback mod
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: hiback to lowback mod Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has modded a hiback type 3 seat in to a lowback. I need to recover the seats anyway and I was wondering if the lowback seat covers will fit after cutting the frame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen and been told, it will. You just lop off the top part and the covers should go right on. I would think that the upper half of the seat may need some sort of extra support though after it is chopped off. You also have to worry about that knob on the side of the seat for tilting the seat.
nik
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20597&highlight=lowback
69sqbck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: seats Reply with quote

Just cut the top off and cover it with lowback covers. No need for added support. We did this on bug seats 2 years ago and they still look and support great.
1969 Type 3 Fastback
(o)\|/(o) Sole Designs, VW Restorations, Savannah, GA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vweater1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that did it on his 70 sqbk, But he added a piece of tubing on the rear for more support and it looks like any other lowback seat would. I say go for the cutting and get that nice lowback look.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you take it apart check out the fold forward mechanism and make it work on the lowback. Someone made lowbacks on my 69 square and did away with the pull knob, boy is it a pain in the ass to fold forward now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we did this mod on both Roadsters, as the first Roadster didn't have any seats in it, and I had a couple of sets laying around. Very Happy The first set we built didn't get the upper bar replaced (we tack welded the seat springs to the uprights), and it's like the earlier style framework. On those seats, I used the old covers off my 65 seats, and they fit like they belonged. The second set of seats we modified, we added the cross bar (removed from the lower part of a set of ghia seats that came with my 69 Square), and welded it in place. We left the side release on the frame, and later hooked everything up. On that set, we covered them with the ghia back rest covers. They're a little long and had 2 holes for the head rest, but worked great and matched the stock material pretty close (especially the ghia seat bottom Wink ). We eventually swapped the seats between the 2 cars, as R-1 became more of a show car / nice looking driver, and R-2 was still under construction. Twisted Evil I think adding the cross bar is the way to go with this mod, as it gives the seat back a little more support. I may do another set of these again in the summer for the R-2 project, as I plan on re-doing the seats in it. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ambersand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! I've been seesawing betwen puting my just shy of trashed lowbacks from my parts squareback into my 69 squareback and trying to figure out a way to turn my highbacks into lowbacks...this will *hopefully* go so much faster than trying to re-do the lowbacks. They look like I fished em out of the Anacostia River....

I appreciate it!

Very Happy

Amber

69 Squareback "Squarie"
74 Westy "Mini Mojo"

http://home.earthlink.net/~ambersand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambersand wrote:
Great post! I've been seesawing betwen puting my just shy of trashed lowbacks from my parts squareback into my 69 squareback and trying to figure out a way to turn my highbacks into lowbacks...this will *hopefully* go so much faster than trying to re-do the lowbacks. They look like I fished em out of the Anacostia River....

I appreciate it!

Very Happy

Amber

You will have to recover the hibacks after this mod. This deals with just modifying the frame of the seat back. You will need covers and at least back pads when your done.
RattySquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: hiback to lowback mod Reply with quote

vdub wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has modded a hiback type 3 seat in to a lowback. I need to recover the seats anyway and I was wondering if the lowback seat covers will fit after cutting the frame.

what about just straight up putting lowback seats in...say a 73' square...is there much mod? the hiback seats are ugly...not to mention uncomfortable...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nid
Samba Drama Queen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee lowbacks are more uncomfortable.

Stylish, yes, but more comfortable? No.

I drove my dad's '72 super beetle with highbacks for over a year before I bought my early '67 Beetle with lowbacks. Both were original upholstry on the seats.

I loved the feeling of the lowbacks, the way the empty passenger seat becomes an arm rest.

But the highbacks imo are more comfortable.

Fuck your God, Your Lord and your Christ, he did this
Took all you had and left you this way

A Perfect Circle - Judith
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ambersand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info vdub! I am re-doing the interior black with charcoal seats....any covers better than others? All I ever hear is TMI TMI TMI...

Amber

69 Squareback "Squarie"
74 Westy "Mini Mojo"

http://home.earthlink.net/~ambersand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: hiback to lowback mod Reply with quote

RattySquare wrote:
vdub wrote:

what about just straight up putting lowback seats in...say a 73' square...is there much mod? the hiback seats are ugly...not to mention uncomfortable...

the 73s seat tracks are diferent than the rest so you would have to either swap out the back itself or cut down the back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: