Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

money wise
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowbright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: money wise Reply with quote

how much do you boys spend on your cars?

my boyfriend is obssesed with this site and his van......sniff sniff

i hope u dont do this to your girls

but yeah ...what dou guys think about those bra things?
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, rainbow. I'll admit that loving these things is almost a sickness. Check this out: I just drove over 200 miles in my 1980 Westy. The temperature was about 20 degrees, and these early Vanagons have no heat. So, I'll admit that it was a very cold drive, and very slow, too. Averaged 60 mph. But, back to the coldness issue, I am prone to frostbite, and, during the drive, I did lose feeling in two toes (yes it was that cold in there). It has been two days now, and the feeling has not come back all the way in one of my toes. Okay, so loving these things is a sickness. Laughing

Anyway, back to your questions. These vans are 15-25 years old, so, they will take some money to keep running, etc. However, if the van is paid for, you can justify it by using the money from a monthly car payment (if you were to buy a car) to spend on the van. Does that make sense?

I do like the bras, but use sparingly. I only use mine whenever I plan to travel on the highway (to protect it from those flying rocks). The paint has to breathe, so don't keep it on full-time. Good luck and be patient with your guy. Wink

1980 VW Westfalia
71_transporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but i do that to my girl too. I have forced her threw a 60's beetle a 72 bus and now a 71 bus Smile I love them and she hates them. Thats how it works. i havent spent as much as some of these other guys. around 5000.00 on my vw's so far!

Old hippies never Die, They just go up in Smoke!

63 Bug
67 Bug
82 WestfaliaVanagon
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup he's normal. I paid $5,500.00 for mine. I've lost count since than. We are all like this here. My wife doesn't get it either Rolling Eyes She buys cloths and purses, I buy parts and accessories. I find the bras to be very useful during road trips. Bugs, rocks, etc., can be brutal on a 90deg body panel up front. I've always like the way they look to. Wink

Victoria's Secret puts out some pretty nice stuff to. Now that's an accessory both me and my wife agree on.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while we were spending a thousand a month. Now I am at $8K. I did not buy anything for several months, but I knew things would be coming up. So I just started collecting hoses to replace all the hoses because I get a leak from a different old hose every now and then. It is time after twenty years just to put all new ones in. We budget ahead. But, this is not our only car. We have 2 new ones to drive. I have an even older car I have been working on since 1982. My wife knows they are my girlfriends. They keep me near home though. The Westy has a use. The kids love it. Maybe this year we take it on a trip further than just down to the beach. But, it is 20 years old and unless you replace everything in it, you will need to do things. I am trying to replace as much as I can. Wheels, brakes and engine will be upgraded as time goes. It may never really end.

BTW: He will most likly never get over this. Either live with it or not.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
walrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way. He could be making a car payment, going to a therapist, and fish on the weekends if he didn't have one.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My westy is our 4th car, and my wife loves it as much as I do, she is into the trips and camping as much as me. We both have our daily drivers, and then the Beetle, which hasn't been out in about 6 years. I'm keeping it for our son. He's 5. At least she knows I'm in the garage wrenching, and not out chasing skirts, or putting something up my nose. Everyone needs a hobby! Personally I think a bra is optional.
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got three running Vanagons in my garage. It has turned from hobby to sickness for me.We were fine with just a nice 89 Westy til my wife asked if she could have a daily driver. Sure, I found a nice 86 for her. Then a beautiful 81 showed up so I got a daily driver too! I throw enough money at them to keep them safely on the road, and I don't count.
As far as bras go: I want one for my Westy, but I like my wife without one. She doesn't like them either.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motelvw wrote:
til my wife asked if she could have a daily driver. Sure, I found a nice 86 for her.

Bless her heart Laughing Nothing like a lady in a bus Wink
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: money wise Reply with quote

rainbowbright wrote:
how much do you boys spend on your cars?

my boyfriend is obssesed with this site and his van......sniff sniff

i hope u dont do this to your girls

In the current phase (fix it up and turn it into a camper), I'm spending quite a bit of money. Once that's done, normal maintainance on these is less than payments for a new car.

If you can tolerate it, you'll be OK.

If you can learn to appreciate what gives him joy, it'll strengthen your relationship.

If you're prone to jealousy when your guy has interests of his own, well...so was my ex-wife. My girlfriend LOVES the Vanagon and I'm very happy now =)

rainbowbright wrote:
but yeah ...what dou guys think about those bra things?

A t-shirt without one is totally hot :-p

Seriously though, every VW fan has different tastes, and if you're thinking of getting him a gift you should find out from him...maybe you can get a mutual friend to casually mention it and see how he reacts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is your boyfriend???? Do you know his screen name???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericthenorse wrote:
Who is your boyfriend???? Do you know his screen name???

You sound worried...

Whoever it is better take her out for a nice dinner soon :-p
DINK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbow bright is one pretentious Little Pony. At least that's what I tell my little girl when we're watching the videos...
Mad-Max
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

hey guys sorry shes my lil pony or rainbow bright or something like that, haha anyways she hates it when i work on the car too much, cuz i don't spend enough time with her, so ya is there ways to fix this dilema so that we both agree Rolling Eyes maybe i'll take her out to dinner but eat it in the van table at the beach so we both get wat we want......
car + attention=perfect relationship

does this problem occour in your lives too?
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximus....

.I have a good solution to your dilema......why don't you offer to cook her a nice romantic dinner..in the Westy....of course? Some red wine...can of beans.....go all out! Maybe that'll work. But probably not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Maximus....

.I have a good solution to your dilema......why don't you offer to cook her a nice romantic dinner..in the Westy....of course? Some red wine...can of beans.....go all out! Maybe that'll work. But probably not

Bay and Bug hubcaps make lovely salad bowls, too
Ambersand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are too much. Here's my female 2 cents...

I started out not getting it. I mean, I got it as far as "awww, it's cute but it's not a big block...blah blah blah" but then John forced me yes, litterally forced me, into the garage to work on a bug.

That was 5 years ago.

We now have a 51 split and a 57 oval (both pre-resto), 58 rag top, 65 standard with 32k original miles, 69 Vert in 3/4 resto, 69 Ghia, a 69 Squareback that WILL be my daily driver after I raise her about 3 clicks, 73 thing, 4 parts cars, 3 water cooled VWs....

And We're picking up my 73 Westy that I begged for, this weekend.

Smile

It's a sickness Rainbow - don't fight it, embrace it. (plus, don't let them know that you know, but guys think its HOT for a chick to work on cars) hahaha!

When I get mad at John for spending too much time in the garage getting that "last" piece just right, I think, hey - he could be doing much worse things...and then I go help out.

We've had a lot of great laughs in the garage ... especially when the 58 dumps all it's oil on the floor...which has now happened three times.

Good luck...and welcome you and your boyfriend to the community!

Very Happy

Amber

69 Squareback "Squarie"
74 Westy "Mini Mojo"

http://home.earthlink.net/~ambersand
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambersand wrote:
It's a sickness Rainbow - don't fight it, embrace it.

You could start a small business explaining this phenomenon to all the "VW widows" out there :-p
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definately something hot about a girl with her own tool box...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah- yeah there's definitely something hot about a girl who knows her way around the shop...

http://www.art.com/asp/product/zoom-asp/_/PD--11763282/posters.htm?ui=CF32EAE6E47D4B638C551A362
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: