Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Teenagers see gasoline cars going obsolete by 2015
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Teenagers see gasoline cars going obsolete by 2015 Reply with quote

MIT recently did a survey of teenagers' attitudes ( http://mit.edu/invent/n-pressreleases/n-press-06index.html ) Here's a snippet of their findings:
MIT Study wrote:
The 2006 Lemelson-MIT Invention Index, which gauges Americans' attitudes toward invention and innovation, found that a third of teens (33 percent) predict the demise of gasoline-powered cars by the year 2015. One in four teens (26 percent) expects compact discs to be obsolete within the next decade, and roughly another one in five (22 percent) predicts desktop computers will be a thing of the past.

They've got a point about desktop computers and CDs; they'll be around, but the format is already a bit long in the tooth - my double capacity DVD burner that laser-etches a picture onto the top of specially coated media cost less than $200, and if someone else doesn't create the computer interface from Minority Report, I'm gonna start hacking something together. I need to save my aging carpal tunnels for VW maintainance.

But gasoline engines extinct? Great! Switch over ALL the new cars to electric and reserve all the petroleum for vintage car owners. (maybe I'm not entirely objective on this point)

It's the perfect plan for peace in the middle east; Saudis et al won't own our asses the way they do now, but a slow and steady stream of business from internal combustion hobbyists will keep them from going so broke that they become another Afghanistan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenagers don't exactly have the market cornered when it comes to smarts. I have to agree with Rush Limbaugh on this statement, and that is that young people have, "Young skulls full of mush".

Last edited by Gary on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
Teenagers don't exactly have the market cornered when it comes to smarts. I have to agree with Rush Limbaugh on this statemend, and that is that young people have, "Young skulls full of mush".

So do most adults - just look at all the K-cars people bought!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenagers are so visionary! Surprised

They are so full of....

wisdom, yeah that's it, wisdom! Laughing
sharky745
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because they are from MIT doesn't mean they have common sense. Can you imagine the uproar if they tried to phase out gasoline vehicles on a grand scale? Thats ok, I'll just stick with my internal combustion engine. Wink
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it has something to do with movies and what they shows.

Minority Report's type of computer been in sci-fi for quite some time, and the advancement in that kind of technologie is still far... have you seen the sheet-like screen that they created last year? i think it was monochrome (sp?) or at least in black and white. Still far from the screen standing there, totally transparent. But computer technologies does develop fast.

CD? probably too. But it took awhile to switch completely from Casset to CD, so i'm not sure if its that close. A new media might come up, but CD wont be obsolete in 10 years. In worst case, they'll be what cassets right now are : Grand'pa old music.

On Gasoline car being obsolete in 10 years, i don't buy it... at all. Not even in 20 or 30 years. As long as the ressource will exist, gasoline car will be used. I'd still like to believe that i'll see "alternative energy car" being more popular than Gasoline car before i die...
sharky745
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope they arent gonna try to ban gas engines in my lifetime for some off the wall environmental reasons. That would suck. Sad
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plant a tree! Cool
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and teenagers in the 1950's were sure we would have flying cars by 2000. Heck, everyone, even the old folks back there were sure of it, right Tram?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkiel wrote:
Minority Report's type of computer been in sci-fi for quite some time, and the advancement in that kind of technologie is still far...

Totally doable right now with off-the-shelf parts.

One of these:
http://www.cybermindnl.com/index.php?page=shop.pro...;Itemid=51

One of these:
http://www.cybermindnl.com/index.php?page=shop.pro...p;Itemid=1

...and a bit of code.

Check this out:
http://www.isrg.reading.ac.uk/haptics/
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody suggested at any point that teenagers aren't naive, annoying, etc., or that they're great predictors of technological advances. That wasn't the point of the study, or of the post.
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
Yeah, and teenagers in the 1950's were sure we would have flying cars by 2000. Heck, everyone, even the old folks back there were sure of it, right Tram?

http://media.moller.com/Flight030323-320WebMovie.mp4

Just like "minority report" style interfaces, it's lack of investment that prevents 'em, not lack of technological capability.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingCoyote wrote:
enkiel wrote:
Minority Report's type of computer been in sci-fi for quite some time, and the advancement in that kind of technologie is still far...

Totally doable right now with off-the-shelf parts.

One of these:
http://www.cybermindnl.com/index.php?page=shop.pro...;Itemid=51

One of these:
http://www.cybermindnl.com/index.php?page=shop.pro...p;Itemid=1

...and a bit of code.

Check this out:
http://www.isrg.reading.ac.uk/haptics/
still damn far from the "invisible" screen
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares, the world is gonna end in 2012 anyway & besides, the teenagers love to drive fast & an electric car aint gonna do it for them. Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Who cares, the world is gonna end in 2012 anyway & besides, the teenagers love to drive fast & an electric car aint gonna do it for them. Laughing Laughing Laughing
you'Re kidding right? an electric car did 0-100 in 4 sec (if not faster)...

it has the best acceleration you can find
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm behind the times I guess. I've only seen the MIT solar races, I never saw the 0 to 100 electric car, that's pretty cool, but how long does the power last? I always thought the power to weight(weight of batteries) ratio pretty much killed the whole idea of going fast for a long period of time, but like I mentioned, I'm behind on the whole electric car seen, they are just way to expensive to even think about. I want to know what ever happend to COLDFUSION. Last I heard the guy that was working on in here in the U.S. left the country because the goverment was trying to put a stop to it due to the economical crash it would cause, but I don't know what country he went to.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the world is gonna end in 2012 sorry to say Twisted Evil
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingCoyote wrote:
notchback wrote:

http://media.moller.com/Flight030323-320WebMovie.mp4

Just like "minority report" style interfaces, it's lack of investment that prevents 'em, not lack of technological capability.
I guess I phrased it wrong. There have been flying cars of one type or another since the '50s. Teenagers thought that by 2000 everyone would have one and roads would be obsolete.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wikipedia wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_car In the 1950s, Ford Motor Company performed a serious feasibility study for a flying car product. They concluded that such a product was technically feasible, economically manufacturable, and had significant realistic markets. The markets explored included ambulance services, police and emergency services, military uses, and initially, luxury transportation. Some of these markets are now served by light helicopters, proving the accuracy of Ford's marketing. However, the flying car explored by Ford would be at least fifty-fold less expensive.
When Ford approached the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration about regulatory issues, the critical problem was that the (then) known forms of air traffic control were inadequate for the volume of traffic Ford proposed. At the time, air traffic control consisted of flight numbers, altitudes and headings written on little slips of paper and placed in a case. Quite possibly computerized traffic control, or some form of directional allocation by altitude could resolve the problems. Other problems would also need to be resolved in some ways, however, including intoxicated drivers or motorists that drive without a license.

FU#3
tkelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the world (to you) going to end 2012?
Do you have some plans we need to know about?

Tom
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkelley wrote:
Why is the world (to you) going to end 2012?
Do you have some plans we need to know about?
Hillary will be elected then Shocked

FU#3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: