Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

expansion tank pics / question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: expansion tank pics / question Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pics of thier expansion tank / coolant system for a 83-85 vanagon online. The '83 westy I just bought has some coolant issues, and from what I can tell from the bentley, a p.o. has installed the later 2.1 expansion tank (blue cap) and what looks like the 2.1 coolant distibution unit (pg. 19.11) directly to the the expansion tank. I'll get pics up soon to show what I'm talking about.

jamie foust
des moines, iowa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the 68-up Bus - Other Galleryhttp://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=16

Is this what you need?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm looking for. This is from a '85, correct? The expansion tank you show is for '86 and up according to the bentley. Is your model a late 1985 manufacture? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is in the two tanks and caps, besides the obvious with the overflow outlet. Thanks for the pic.

jamie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an early 85 with steel lines to the front. My tank was replaced with in the last year. It fits just fine, no issues. But, I still have the original plastic H pipe right next to the tank. The blue cap is new too. It actually failed recently. Not all new parts are perfect, I guess. I am collecting all new hoses at the moment for my van. I have no cooling system problems at the moment with my current setup. I have had 3 hoses fail in the last year though. I am just going to replace them all at my next annual fluid change fest. I have the new brass replacement H pipe, too. I will make a brass bleeder setup too, if I can. I am tired of all the crappy plastic parts replacing them with brass or stainless where I can.

What is you cooling problem?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first problem was with it boiling over due to missing fuses, so the radiator fan wasn't coming on - it works great now with a fuse, no problems so far there. I'm spent some time bleeding the system, which I think has gone well. I'm really just trying to asses what other problems it may have now since some moron let it go with w/ missing fuses. I'm planning on replacing the water pump, thermostat, and any hoses that need attention. The expansion tank seems to have some stress from boiling over - looks like a stress fracture up near the cap. I was using the bentley to compare the system to see what damage the p.o. had done. I haven't had much time to spend on it since I got it Saturday. I'll get a pic up to show you the wierd thing hanging next to the tank. Is there a reason you used the later model tank? Thanks.

jamie
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace all the little hoses. The big fat (more costly) ones rarely fail. The little hoses are not too much. Most smaller hoses are in the $5 - $10 range except the rear heater and automatic trans ones which I am ditching anyways due to my modifications. Do yourself a favor while it is apart and replace the hoses. Front ones too. They all get soft with this age. Don't forget the heater hoses which are lengths of 5/8 inch heater hose. The other straight hoses seem to be obsolete but you can go to Napa and get the bulk straight hose and cut it. You have to do that for the front radiator hose and the H pipe, too. Don't fret, you can get all the hoses. I get mine via the wholesale house so they most still mostly be available, but you have to dig some.

I used the tank that was sent by the parts house. It is the latest greatest and fits with out a hitch. THe do get old and look bad. I have not seen one fail but I guess the must. I replace them when they get really discolored and hard. I think it was like $30- $40. The early coolent level sensors are known to fail btw. Cheap to replace now. About $11, if I recall.

BTW: Go with the low temp thermostat and radiator fan switch.

You are going to spend a few hundred dollars for all this crap, but it is so nice when it runs and does not mark its' spot when you park it. It is joy to see the temp needle sit under the LED and the fan comes on sometimes at a traffic light. I just pray I get all the parts together for my big job of changing all the hoses and the trans cooler before it pops another leak from an ancient hose.

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
That's what I'm looking for. This is from a '85, correct? The expansion tank you show is for '86 and up according to the bentley. Is your model a late 1985 manufacture? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is in the two tanks and caps, besides the obvious with the overflow outlet. Thanks for the pic.

jamie

I have an '84 and that is what mine looks like, but if i remember correctly, my father replaced the original one a couple years after he bought it (original owner). So i guess that isn't so definitive, afterall. But more to the point is that it works.
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: pics of exp tank Reply with quote

Here's my setup - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/254570.jpg

I'm assuming this is the later exp. tank assembly. Does this look right? It doesn't match the bentley is the only reason I'm confused. None of the pics in the bentley show the h-pipe connector. Pages 19.8-19.13.

jamie
Van Deütsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo you posted of your tank and H-pipe is correct factory for all 83 1/2 on up to '85.
I was surprised to note that Bentley DOES NOT show the H-pipe anywhere in the manual.

diagrom on pp. 19.8 in regards the H-pipe I beleive is incorrect in that it (vaguely) shows where coolant connections should be if the h-pipe were there but never actually depicts how this looks as shipped. You're right, there is not an hpipe to be found in the manual.

I think this artwork must have been completed and approved early on in the development process of the manual as changes to the engine layout continued.

I need a new coolant tank also. mine is getting browner every day and they ALL develop a crack between the level sensor and the cap eventually. Luckily, they are cheap on ebay. I repaired a crack in mine with JB weld after roughing up the plasic and cleaning with brake cleaner.

Good luck!
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just this past weekend I installed what Gowesty calls the expansion tank for later model Vanagons in my 87 Westy. It doesn't have the H set-up (just one big tube coming off that side). My original expansion tank had a black cap, the new one came with a blue cap. Only, the blue cap would only screw on facing the wrong direction. The black cap faced the right direction and seems to fit properly. I know you're talking about earlier models than mine. I just wanted to put that bit about the cap out there.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of exp tank Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
Here's my setup - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/254570.jpg

I'm assuming this is the later exp. tank assembly. Does this look right? It doesn't match the bentley is the only reason I'm confused. None of the pics in the bentley show the h-pipe connector. Pages 19.8-19.13.

jamie

YEP, That's the way mine looks. Mismatched clamps, budging about to pop hoses and all! Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: