Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 brakes on 62 beetle
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom N.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: 356 brakes on 62 beetle Reply with quote

The previous owner of my 62 Beetle put 356 drums on all four corners. I have an adjustable beam on my car. The question... I would like to lower my car more through the use of spindles, such as CB spindles, can I use the CB Link spindles with the Porsche brakes (drums)? I guess what I need to know is, did the guy change to Porsche spindles also or do the VW spindles and Porsche spindles interchange?

Thanks.
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tom,
To the best of my knowledge the 356 backing plate will not fit on the CB Performance drop spindles. I think VW changed the backing plate bolt pattern sometime in 1955-1956. My knowledge on Porsche 356- VW interchangeabilty is shaky after 1955.
There is a 356 drop spindle available that the Vintage Racers use, but it is about 3 times the cost of the CB Performance kit. Give "Parts Obsolete" a call. Gary should point you in the right direction.
The 356s used the "Split VW" pattern until the introduction of the disc brakes.(I've really put my foot in my mouth now)
Those are some badass brakes you have...try to keep them!
Later,
Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: porsche brakes on beetle Reply with quote

I have a Zwitter with a complete sway-bar front beam from 1962, with CB-drop spindles on it and a complete set of Porsche 356 B brakes on.

This is a bolt-on job, with some adjustments. There was some challenges in fitting the 356 back plates to the CB...but nothing un-doable...in short:
- for the bolt pattern to suit location of a) brake hose, and b) back plate clearance "dent", you need to put the LH plate on the RH spindle and vise versa
- To clear the lower linkpin in the very lower, outer area of the back plate, you need to cut a hole of about 30x20 mm right through the backplate. Just leave it open.

Works super, with no problems at all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: