Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just Vee Dubs / V Dubs World / Jose Ortega
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Just Vee Dubs / V Dubs World / Jose Ortega Reply with quote

I am going to relate my experiences with JUST VEEDUBS out of Tempe,AZ

1) I ordered a replacement engine for my 1982 Westy, price listed for one of their "Econo" longblocks $1295 + shipping.

2) It took over 3 months for my engine to arrive

4) It arrived MINUS flywheel, rockers, pushrods, distributor drive and valve covers (We had discussed shipping the engine minus the rocker assemblies and pushrods but I was led to believe that the distributor drive and flywheel WOULD be installed)

5) The case was from an earlier engine which necessitated the installation of a different breather.

6)The"GEX" sticker and cobwebs on the case should have been a tip off. Now I know cosmetics have nothing to do with how well an engine will run, but it DOES say something about the "rebuilder" and hey, at least peel off the crumbling GEX sticker!

7) The case halves were assembled using black RTV. The pushrod tubes were also sealed on each end with black RTV and the old O rings

Cool Once the engine was installed, oil put in the crankcase it promptly leaked from the pick-up cover, when the cover was pulled it appeared that the gasket was NOT replaced and NO oil screen was in place..

9) Once the engine was fired up it began to leak copious amounts of oil from the pushrod tubes. I STILL can't get the valve covers to seal properly and I've tried EVERYTHING!

10) After running the engine about 10 minutes I dropped the oil and filter to change it out (I wanted to flush any remaining bits and pieces from machining) I found remmanents of a shop rag on top of the filter.

I have contacted Jose with Just VEEDUBS numerous times with my concerns and have basically been given the brush off.
When I mentioned the shop rag on top of the filter I was told not to worry, the non-existent screen would take care of it.

It has been awhile since I've changed out an engine in a volks, but I've done my own work for a number of years, I've even owned a Citroen ID19 and did the work on that vehicle AND I've even worked as a professional mechanic for about 12 years! So I'm no neophyte when it comes to what things should look like and sound like.

Now, to his credit, when I initially mentioned my concerns and the appearence of the engine to Jose, he DID offer to take it back, silly me I took this to mean I had a good engine and proceded to install it.
Since then I've been told I have a "warranty" issue and would I like to be reimbursed for chasing down the oil leaks! The issue of the rag in the oil was totally minimized. Now I don't know about anybody else, but I think I SHOULD be more than a little concerned when I see bits of shop rag floating around in the oil!

I'm sure the guys at JUST VEEDUBS have their take on things but, bottom line is....I am NOT happy with the engine or service I got from JUST VEEDUBS and now have an order in with Boston Bob.
I'm taking this as a VERY EXPEN$IVE lesson learned. But hey...At least I'll end up with spare heads pistons and cylinders!

==============================

Moderator note:
He has also been reported to use these names:

Just Vee Dubs (CA)
Just Veedubs (Az and/or NM)
onlineimportautoparts.com
Iowa VDubs Repair
A+ Auto
midnight skies ranch complete auto care

Possible business addresses/info
30 Bronco Lane, Pie Town, NM, 87827
(515) 996-4741
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: The latest from Just Vee Dubs Reply with quote

I've been in touch with others that have had experience with JVD in Tempe and unfortunately, I am NOT alone.
The latest from them is that I have a "warranty" issue since the engine was installed and run. They also lied outright when they said that the engine had been "test fired" I was the first person to put oil in that pile of parts and when I did it promptly poured out before I even fired the engine up! (something THEY would have discovered IF they had "test fired" it) They have sort-of-half-assed offered to compensate me for tracking down the COPIOUS oil leaks. They have NEVER addressed the issue of the SHOP RAG on the filer to my satisfaction. To top THAT off the latest from them was/is an outright THREAT to go after me for liable for posting here about my experiences with these crooks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lots of pictures.
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Document everything both in writing, dated and as many photos as possible..You can't have too much info when trying to prove your case. A taped phone conversation may also benefit but I beleive then you may get into privacy issues..
Best of luck in any case...
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: OHHHHH Yeah Reply with quote

Believe me, I'll be documenting EVERYTHING! I've kept the emails, taken pictures and I'll be taking a stetement from my "assistant"
As far as taping a phone conversation my understanding is that you're allowed to tape your own conversations but I'll check into it.
wickedwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in AZ? Beat them to the punch and file in small claims court for a full refund. Document everything you have done and pull the motor immediately and continue documenting every day that the motor is sitting up to your trial date, even have a witness sign or log in on your documentation every day. That's my take on it. It is sad because we need as many vw vendors as possible, but once again we see another shop/supplier screwing their customer. It just seems to keep getting worse.
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Key West Reply with quote

Un fortunately I live in Key West, FL (you know, that little "dot" on the very tip of Florida? About 90 miles from Cuba?)
I'm taking this as a very expen$ive le$$on and doing my best to warn others away from this guy. Hey at least I'll wind up with a set of heads and pistons!
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain Scruffy. I have had a very similar experience with this joke of a company. My story is with a transaxle for my 1990 Westfalia that was so poorly done that I will have to get a new one from a proper source (German Transaxle of Bend, OR). I plan to go after "Jose" and his shoddy workmanship and awful business practises. I will pay him a personal visit if necessary.

You said in your original post that Just VeeDubs is in Tempe. Is this where you sent your core engine? I sent my transaxle to Camp Verde, AZ (north of Phoenix). I have a feeling that this guy moves around. What is your feeling?

Ciao for now!

CurtisS
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Tempe I believe Reply with quote

DAAYYUMM!
I guess in some ways it's nice to know that I'm not the only one but in other ways...It just feels so stoopid to be "had" like this.
He does NOT have my core and they are trying to get me to return the engine. I'm going to think twice about that. At least this way I'll have a spare set of pistons and heads.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a word or two on both this site and also on the Westfalia Owner's Club site regarding Just Vee Dubs, the outfit in Campe Verde, AZ.
They were so deadbeat and would not respond to messages after having payment for a tool for over a month, that I decided they must be a case of simple fraud, operating a scam on the internet. Finally the tool did arrive, but only after they had read the posting on the Westy Club site and apparently were worried about the effect on "business".
JVW is in my experience, the VERY WORSE company I can imagine, and certainly the bottom of the heap among those I have ever attempted to deal with. I advise that we spread the word and AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!
James Pate
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: The latest from Just Vee Dubs Reply with quote

Just an update...
Jose has offered to take the engine back AND pay for shipping!
He says that since it's now a "used" engine (run for 15 minutes tops!) He's willing to give me $800 out of my original $1300!
I was agreeable but with 1 exception: I wanted money in my hot little hand BEFORE I ship the engine. Since that email I haven't heard a word from him. Looks like I've got a spare set of heads and pistons.
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: The latest from Just Vee Dubs Reply with quote

Looks Like I touched a nerve with these guys. I told them I had filed a complaint with BBB and the States Attorney and that I didn't think, given their track record with BBB, that they EVER had any intention of trying to make things right. I'm now filing in small claims court. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, I would steer as many people as we can AWAY from Just Vee Dubs.
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Scruffy. I will be doing the same thing very soon.
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: States Attorney, AZ Reply with quote

PLEASE If you've been following this thread and have issues with Just Vee Dubs, Take the time and file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office state of Arizona Consumer Information and Complaints.
You can do this online fairly easily. While the Attorney General doesn't prosecute on your behalf, it will investigate if enough complaints are filed and may bring suit if instances of fraud are proven.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: States Attorney, AZ Reply with quote

scruffy wrote:
PLEASE If you've been following this thread and have issues with Just Vee Dubs, Take the time and file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office state of Arizona Consumer Information and Complaints.
You can do this online fairly easily. While the Attorney General doesn't prosecute on your behalf, it will investigate if enough complaints are filed and may bring suit if instances of fraud are proven.
SWEET fu#k those clowns like they tried to FU#K YOU I hate theives and con artist

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OHHHHH Yeah Reply with quote

scruffy wrote:
Believe me, I'll be documenting EVERYTHING! I've kept the emails, taken pictures and I'll be taking a stetement from my "assistant"
As far as taping a phone conversation my understanding is that you're allowed to tape your own conversations but I'll check into it.

Yep, in Arizona it is allowed. Tape your phone conversations. Good luck and keep putting out the word who to avoid. There's too many jerks out there taking our money and delivering nothing.
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: The ongoing saga... Reply with quote

I will be personally serving papers on Jose come August.
I have filed complaints with the States attorney and with BBB.

On a much lighter/better note;
The engine from BOSTON ENGINE is in and running beautifully!
Plus these guys have an idea about "customer Service"
I was having problems with the install and shot Bob Donalds off an email figuring he'd respond similarly, Lo and behold he CALLED me on a SUNDAY and got me pointed in the right direction.
KUDOS TO BOSTON ENGINE!
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Sadly, I can top all of you... *grrrrr* Reply with quote

Well I should have known much better... too late for that now. *sigh* My experience with these guys goes a little like this... short version - Took my beloved 1961 Beetle Sedan to these guys while they were in Spring Valley, CA not knowing any better. Dropped a cool $7K down as a security/"begin-the-work" deposit and thought all was well. Long story short, my squadron returns from overseas (US Marine Corps) and I try to call them - oops, their number is disconnected. I take my friend down there with me and find their former location abandoned. I check their website and all their contact information has changed to Camp Verde, AZ. Isn't that a hoot... do they have my car? Don't know... I'm still in the process of gathering information. I do know this... when I called the Chamber of Commerce in Camp Verde they said they'd already moved to another address than the one on their website. When I called their local Sherriff's office they knew who I was talking about right away... Grrrrr
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyhoffo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: ...forgot to ask Reply with quote

Sorry for the post after post thing, but I forgot to ask if anyone had any dealings with Just Vee Dubs in about 2005 while they were still in Spring Valley - I'm trying to see what happened to an employee who was working there named "Chris" - he was very helpful towards me and sadly was let go from there before my nightmare began - was hoping if anyone knew him they could put me in touch with him - I'm looking for any and all information anyone has about these guys for my file - ever growing mass of paper condemnation. *sigh* I miss my Waltraud! (1961 Beetle)
Thanks.

PS if you're in San Diego drop me a line and we can swap stories over a few beers.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to keep looking for that bast**d Jose. My last contact with him was via email (roughly 2 months ago) and he mentioned that he was moving. He can run but he can't hide... Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: