Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

funny car style body
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: funny car style body Reply with quote

ok- i saw this in a book. i am in no way even close to doing this yet but thought it would be a cool thing to try one day. so i am looking for any info on how it's done or where to find some more info. in james hale's dune buggy books there are pics of a fiberglass buggy that has hydraulic lifts that lift the whole body up to where you can access the complete underside of the car. has anyone seen it or done it? wondering how much is involved and if it will be a complete new build that is necessary.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no kits to do this and lots of ways to do it. The best way is to make a custom tube chassis, you may have to strengthen the body and hinge it. You want it hydraulics, then add hydraulics. You'll have to know fabrication, etc
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access to the chassis is a bit of a non-issue, isn't it? Buggies already have easy access to the chassis for jobs like valve adjustments.

To do it right, you would likely have to build a separate subframe/body support rig, and engineer the lifts(either hydraulic or electric)....by the time you get it done, the world will have another trailer queen buggy. Imagine the rattles and squeaks that car would make if it actually saw road time. Rolling Eyes

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figured it would be a pain. so i'm thinking a subframe on the body.including front to back on either side of the tunnel, cause the tunnel would not lift but the seats/subfloor would. battery mounted to chassis as well, wouldn't lift. at least thats a more general idea of whats involved thanks.
but what i am wondering is -where would the front end hinge at? it couldn't hinge on the front beam right?
as for seeing only a trailer - that would not be an option. theres no way i would build something and then not drive it. how cool would it be to drive out to dairy queen and have someone ask about the engine, etc and press a button and have the body lift off. of course bolts would need to be removed to do that ahead of time. i was thinking padding between frame and the body subframe. and maybe 3 bolts through the body, subframe and frame on each side of the buggy. and a couple bolts through the rear edge of the back seat. say where the seat belts are attached- through the body, sub frame attached to body with nuts there and then long enough to be lowered through a raised square of framing and bolted to that.
now i am sure it would have to be a new build. it seems like it would be 10X easier to start from scratch.
does this just sound way too far out there? cause i'm just thinking out loud at this point. but thats what i would like to be able to do.
anyway, thanks for the input!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: