Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E-brake or line lock for street buggy?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: E-brake or line lock for street buggy? Reply with quote

Im building a lowered street beach buggy and cant decide wether it would be simpler to use the stock e-brake with shortened cables ect or a line lock for the rear brake lines.

Any ideas how effective line locks are and their dependability?

thanks!
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on that your state vehicle regulations are. most states require that your rear brakes be able to operate under normal hydraulic power and mechanical power from the hand brake

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alexh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well where I live (Puerto Rico) I dont think they care much about that, here we use the regular vw vehicle lisence for the dune bugies, no especial code or anything, from what Ive asked.

Are line lock effective at holding a car at park?
dr. awsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will work if everything is in good condition. Most will bleed off after a while. If you put it in gear as well as use the line lock it should be ok. but using a mechanical e-brake is much more reliable in my opinion. From using both I would recommend a mechanical system.
EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cables are a pain to make work on a short pan. I brazed a tube and used it as a coupler to shorten it. Decided I didn't like it and left it out.

A line lock won't work if anything goes wrong with your master cylinder and unless you just want a parking brake I would advize against that.

I have a short pan tub buggy and decided to use a single handle cutting brake. That enables it to work if something happens to the juice on the front half of your car. It also gives you seperate left right control or rear wheels in a slipping cituation like mud or in the air with one rear wheel.

For parking function I just put a bungie cord from the handle to pull forward and that holds it on mild hills. If it is critticle I usually shut it off the engine and leave it in gear along with that.

I used all steel lines for the cutter brake and where the rear brake lines tee I took another stock tee and double stacked them. I put a plug in each tee with locktight in the unused hole. This way you can use all the stock plumbing the rest of the way back to the drums.

I put the cutter brake left of the seat where it fits my left hand and frequently find the handle going up my pants leg when I am in a hurry Very Happy
4x4EATR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line locks are fine for holding a car in position, but e-brakes are called Emergency brakes for a reason... plus they're kinda fun in the dirt/ Twisted Evil
jp16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hooked up a cable e-brake on my shortened-pan buggy. It took a little finagling, but now works as good as my newer cars (only a few clicks to lock the drums). I use a Dremel to cut the cables so there isn't the distortion you might have from cable cutters. This way they slide into their fittings easier.

Good luck!
alexh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jp, where did you get the end fittings to make them shorter?
Any link to a web page?
Do these install at the drum end or at the hand lever end?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D2567
4x4EATR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape the section you're cutting before you cut (keeps it from spreading at all). JP -Did you just use a cut-off wheel to slice it?
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emergency brake comes very handy when starting up a hill. In the dirt they are invaluable to control descent down a hill when you still want your foot on the gas, or when using just the rear brakes will keep you tracking straight down a steep sand dune. The law requires a separate system for your e brake, than the hydraulic system. Shortening kits work well, make sure you use loctite on the set screws, I also used green loctite for pressed in parts on the cable end where it goes into the adapter. My friends with the hydraulic lock on their rails, are always having problems with them. Keep the emergency brakes, its well worth it.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, I remember it like yesterday.

The day before Christmas Eve in 1999. I had almost completed everything on my first buggy and took it out for a winter cruise to the body shop to get the final estimate to complete the car. I was thinking of treating myself to new paint for Christmas.

After the estimate, I swung by my father in laws house to pick-up my wife and use her car to do some final last minute shopping. While out, my father in law called on the cell phone to find out why I have the buggy upside down in the middle street. (he really thought I may have turned it over to do work to it?)

I learned a big expensive lesson that day. The park-lock was on, the car was in gear, everything failed, the buggy rolled down the drive and off a 5 foot stone wall rolling over into the street.

PARK LOCKS DO NOT WORK. IF YOU TRUST IT,(EVEN A LITTLE BIT) YOUR CAR OR PEOPLE WILL GET HURT. KEEPING THE CAR IN GEAR IS NOT GOING TO BE SECURE ENOUGH.

Not to mention, it locked up all of the time.

Do yourself a favor, figure out a mechanical emergency brake. Doing so will save you over $2500 in body work and bent torsions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: