Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Trim Panels?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Interior Trim Panels? Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a company that remakes interior trim panels for the westy? I know that mine are falling apart and I'm having new ones made out of ABS Plastic that will be easy to clean, waterproof & should last me 20 odd years (that's if I don't put UV protectant on them then 30-40+) but I was wondering if any companies out there are reproducing the old ones.

Also, Those of you who have been following the saga of my 81 westy's motor, Ed at the Bug Shop (the only place in my area that will touch an aircooled) who has been doing rebuilds for 25 years just told me that he had never seen the kind of wear that I had on my brand new bearing shells. He was amazed that after only 1200km on them the very bottom of the shells were right through to the copper but the upper portions were perfectly fine. And that's the theme throughout mains & rods. He said normally he'd be suspect of the oil pump but mine is within specs. Very marginally so but still. So, the old lump is going to get new bearings, oil pump, 2 lifters re-preloaded (they collapsed, probably what my mechanic told me was bottom end knock) and I need a new head. Two of my seats had simply fallen out. Wonderful considering the time and expense those heads were. Word of advice: Never take your cylinder heads to Lordco's machine shop. Took forever and the work was apparently crappy.

Cheers
Keep the vanagon revolution alive!
Scott

81 westy
88 jetta
91 passat
02 ford e-250
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at these:

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/vanagoncat/vancatalog.html
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen a pile of aftermarket stuff but I'm kinda trying to go for an original look... Mines got that horrid MDF kinda stuff about 1/8" thick with the paper covering and it's all water damaged cuz my seals have been leakin' for a good long time. I'm going with this ABS because it's a really close color match and it's gonna be extremely hard wearing. And after a good long weekend of camping it won't be as hard to clean. I'm hoping to just wipe the dirt away. P.S. Another good idea (I think) I've replaced my carpeting in the centre with that clic laminate flooring. Looks awesome but the van broke down so soon I haven't seen how it does with the elements. I'll keep y'all posted.
mlf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make a very nice updated door panel for vans in germany still .not cheap thou . it is a new modified door panel kit that relocates he speaker and door handle along with a huge map pocket . the kit lets you update the speakers to 6 inches.the door handle is moved forward . the the map pocket starts at one end of the door by the vent and goes all the way to the front and dips down low like the stock one. i'll try and post pictures later .
fung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chesk out www.gowesty.com i just got some vinyl for may pannels the other day, just waiting for warmer weather to start the project. www.busdepot.com has pannels
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I apparently have to pay 200 bucks U.S. to get uncovered panels? I don't think so. To boot they are no better than my originals which got water damaged, warped and lost all their covering anyways. I don't think so. I'm gonna have my buddy make me new panels for the entire interior of my van out of 1/8" ABS plastic and be done with it. Easy to clean and no more mould. If anybody else would like some I think I could probably get the full set, including all rear door panels, Side panels including the ones behind the sink and cabinets, and top rails the ones where the vents come out, made up and drilled for all trim clips screws, etc. (Aircooled 80-82 only) for around $300 plus s&h. As soon as it's done I'll post some pics but haven't got a digital camera yet. Soon though. If anybody's interested just post with an email address and I'll get back to you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: