Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Bug Windshield Washer Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcpatrickharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: 1965 Bug Windshield Washer Questions Reply with quote

Hello!

My bug has a washer bottle with a long metal stem coming off it on one side and a black screw on top with a hose on the other side.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I just pump the metal stem with air at the gas station? If so, how much air do I put in?

2. It looks like the rubber hose from the screw cap needs to be replaced. Is this something I can just get at autozone... like a generic rubber hose product? If so, what size hose?

3. Where does the rubber hose hook up to once I replace it?

Thanks!

J
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valve stem on the bottle is supposed to be connected to the spare tire valve via a short connector with a regulator. The washer is pressurized by the spare tire. once the spare tire pressure drops to 18psi the valve in the regulator/connector closes and wont let any more air out of the spare (so the spare will still be useable if needed). The hose connects from the cap on the bottle to the back of the switch on the dash. There is another hose coming off the switch that goes to the squirter on the cowl. I dont know the size of the rubber hose, but take a piece with you to the auto parts or hardware store.

BTW, the valve that connects the spare to the washer bottle is hard to find. I am looking for one myself. So for the most part, most washers on old bugs are just "decorative"!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a lot of Beetle's windshield washer bottles are connected to the spare tire valve, 65's aren't. They have a bottle with a bicycle valve that is indeed filled up by an air pump. The owner's manual makes specific reference to it. I carry a bicycle pump in my trunk for this purpose. I just go by trial and error although there is a pressure label on my bottle but I don't remember now what it says.

Everything else 67 Florida said about how the system is hooked up is on the mark.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put in 35lbs. since 40 is maximum. 68 1st year for hookup to spare.i have probably posted 67 only info at least 500 times. search my posts instead of generic type and it will show up. Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Although a lot of Beetle's windshield washer bottles are connected to the spare tire valve, 65's aren't. They have a bottle with a bicycle valve that is indeed filled up by an air pump. The owner's manual makes specific reference to it. I carry a bicycle pump in my trunk for this purpose. I just go by trial and error although there is a pressure label on my bottle but I don't remember now what it says.

Everything else 67 Florida said about how the system is hooked up is on the mark.

I stand corrected! I assumed the deal was the same on my '65 as '67 since the tanks are nearly identical. Not so, as I consulted the manual. It says fill the tank at the filling station to 36psi max (the bottle says 35).

Well, I learned something new Wink !

-kent

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62-67 is the same. i have some with original label still on them.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
...68 1st year for hookup to spare...

I didnt realize that. I have seen a couple pre-68s with with the spare hookup. I guess they added those later for convenience...

79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the hookup to the spare was a really bad idea - I'm surprised VW thought of it. Any leak in the system and your spare goes flat. Much better IMO to pressurize the bottle separately.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to 68 the spare tire hookup was an optional extra in the USA. It used a unique air tube with a circular valve in it.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

I stand corrected! I assumed the deal was the same on my '65 as '67 since the tanks are nearly identical. Not so, as I consulted the manual. It says fill the tank at the filling station to 36psi max (the bottle says 35).

Well, I learned something new Wink !

-kent

whoa! me too! so wait, the windshield washer bottle has a bicycle valve and you're supposed to put air on that? i'm confused now. i guess if anything i'll read it in the manual later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the bottle in my '67. It is identical to the one in my '65 except the label is yellow. You can see the air valve just to the left of the filler cap. That's where you would pressurize the container to about 35 psi with an air hose or the connector to the spare. If the regulator for the spare tire connector is working properly, it will cut off the supply from the spare at 18psi so the spare didnt go flat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page from a 1963 owner's manual describes the stock system:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/63bugowners/page20-21.jpg

and yep, the hose that connects it to the spare tire was only an accessory. Some had a provision that had another tire filler valve on it that allowed you to add air to the tire without unhooking the hoses, others did not. The one shown in the old Bentley workshop manual has the extra fitting on it, I've not seen one of these in person:

The accessory hose that I have in my 62 is the other style.

-Andy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's it! Thanks for the research, Andy. (Gosh, I'd like to have one...make that two... that work!)

-kent

DAM62BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me on the list too!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: