Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 and 73/74 air cleaner supports
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: 72 and 73/74 air cleaner supports Reply with quote

Here are pics of the 2 different supports. The short 72's are used with the short 72 only intakes and the round oil bath air cleaner:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and from the side:

See the round edge? Now compare that to the 73/74 supports.They are a lot taller and are made for the square plastic air cleaner and the taller 73/74 intakes:

and from the side:

and side by side:

SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

"Every picture tells a story"! The photos really show the differences betweeen the air cleaner mounting brackets. It leads to an understanding of why we have shorter manifolds and a bent or straight ilinkage bar. This really clears up my confusion between the carb air cleaner 'interchangability' issues I raised in an earlier thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1311715&highlight=#1311715

Thank you for the follow up.

For those of us short on knowledge and experience, the Bentley is a great resource, but it really doesn't always show or explain distinctions with clarity. It presumes you have done a lot of this work previously. Worse, we novices often assume that becasue something is from a 'bay' bus it will automatically fit "any and all" years. This reinforces in me the fact that there were often subtle differences incorporated from year to year, that to the untrinaed eye, often go unnoticed.

I greatly appreciate when those with knowledge take the time to to cover something with clarity. The topic may be simple and mundane to them, but it is important to those of us who lack the knowledge. Passing on that knowledge is a great help.

This is why Karl and Colin's explantions, to name just two, are so important. I can only imagine how boring it must be for these guys to explain how to take a distributor cap off! In addition, Ratwell's site is a great Bentley supplement. The photos coupled with the clear explanations are a great assistance.

Ok, my speech is over, back to the oil bath and air filter cleaners!
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl!

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: