Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 later heater cable delima
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: 75 later heater cable delima Reply with quote

When installing 74 and earlier non FI heater boxes/header system on the engine in a 75 and later model the heater cables do not line up/connect to either the regular heater lever or modified lever at the top ( ala the type 2)

I have a few ideas for some mods but was wondering what if anything anyone else has come up with.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to modify the cables but I had no trouble attaching the '75 cables to the top flap actuator. I had a 72 engine in my '75
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you took of the normal ( what I will call the bottom pull) lever arms off the heater boxes and Question What exactly did you do to modify the upper lever that is actually the flap rod? Or to the cables themselves? ( shorten or lengthen? )

I could see where having used bus heater boxes or new replacements which often had provision to hook up either would make things easier ( but alas)

I admit I have not spent enough time under the car messing with it yet but it seems the direction of the cables coming out of the tunnel is pointed where the FI heater control "heads" would normally be and it is more in the middle of things and there does not seem to be much room for re directing them.

thanks for the reply Dr Darby....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a small loop using coat hanger and slipped it over the "stud" of the upper lever on the heat exchanger and then secured it from working off by slipping a spring / push-nut then connected it to the stock cable with the ends cut off using the original barrel nut. I may have bent the cable conduit slightly but it is flexible at the top.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks... that sounds easier than the idea(s) I had been contemplating thus far.

I guess I coulda figured that one out myself Embarassed d'oh! Laughing
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking at my post I can imagine a big sloppy loop of coat hanger. This is not the case. I made a very small round loop by tightly bending the hanger around a small stud it looped around 2x for strength. Furthermore I did this in 1991 or 92 and just pulled the engine out of that car last week and it has held up fine all these years.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I have some stainless wire about the gauge of coathanger a pipe fitter buddy gave me. I will use some of that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: