Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Troubleshooting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel5560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Finally I might have found the one! I am looking into buying a 75 Bus that needs some work. It doesn't start, and when we tried to jump it, all it did was click. Could it be the battery is so dead that not enough power is getting to the engine? We got the lights and stuff to work. What could be wrong with it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of stuff, but its prob not a big job, could be simple. Good lukc with your find!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you use your car battery to get it to fire.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
75BusBlues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

daniel5560 wrote:
Finally I might have found the one! I am looking into buying a 75 Bus that needs some work. It doesn't start, and when we tried to jump it, all it did was click. Could it be the battery is so dead that not enough power is getting to the engine? We got the lights and stuff to work. What could be wrong with it.

Could be any number of things. Dead starter/solenoid, ignition wire shorting at the coil, bad ignition switch,etc. Use the Haynes or Muir books to troubleshoot, you should be able to get it. By the way, my 75 Bus did the exact same thing when the ignition wire to the coil was shorting on the fan shroud.
daniel5560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I think it's something with the starter. It might be stuck or completly worn out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if the engine will actually turn and is not seized?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daniel5560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

I am pretty sure it isn't seized, because someone previusly got it to turn over, but it didn't start because it was cranking hard enough. Probably the starters last time going. And I hit the wrong key, its a 72 bus.
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it won't turn over then it could be a couple of things. Starter/solenoid if you haven't checked that already. Its easy to take that out of the equation using either some wire or a screwdriver. It may also be the spark plugs, or the distributor cap. Make sure the cap is hooked up and looks ok on the inside. You are most likely hearing the starter making the click, but its not firing. Does is sound like or feel like the engine is starting to turn over? If it starts to turn over then its probably just the timing which is most affected by the distributor cap. You can loosen the bolt at the bottom of it and rotate it to set the timing in a quick pinch, but valve adjustments and everything else will eventually need to be done. If you take out the spark plugs to check those, make sure you are carefull in putting them back in. If you strip the engine block you are in deep trouble.

Good Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daniel5560
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Reply with quote

It doesn't try to turn over, it just clicks. It can't be much because the bus was just driven there. The engine is not seized, I'm positive of that.
SpyderMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the condition of the cable to the starter. Mine had the same problem and they were corroded. I took them apart and got a good copper color back to them and reinstalled to get good amps to the starter.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all connections on the way from the battery to the starter. Take the clamps off the posts, and clean both the iside of the clamps, and the posts with emery cloth, so that you get good contact. This simple thing can be the difference between starting and nothing. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: