Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent washer switch question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tharmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Intermittent washer switch question Reply with quote

Does any one have a 72-79 VW bus with an intermittent wiper switch that is an "infinite" type switch.. that is, it is more than just 2 or 3 speeds?

If so, I'll start looking for one to put in my 69 VW bus.... It seems like that might work for me. I don't like just 2 speeds...

Thanks.. Tom
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would need to find the parts from a 78 champagne edition bus. it involves the switch and a relay if i remember correctly. these are the only busses that came with this feature.

dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawesty wrote:
you would need to find the parts from a 78 champagne edition bus. it involves the switch and a relay if i remember correctly. these are the only busses that came with this feature.

Yeah, those are the only ones that came with intermittant wipers from the factory. You might need the whole column, the early Bays like his have the wiper switch on the dash.

That said, I retrofitted intermittant wipers to my '75 a while ago without using the Champagne parts .. very nice feature in the rainy Pacific Northwest. I'm working on making a retrofit kit, but it'll only be for '75-'79 unfortunately. I just don't know if/how it could be done with the pre-'75s
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Intermittant wiper switch 72 type 2 Reply with quote

Has anybody ever seen an intermittent wiper switch for a 72 or earlier type 2? My owner's manual show one as an option, all though I have never seen one. I have tried installing an after market bosch setup and it works for about 5 to 6 cycles and then stops. It is connected to the parking lead on the motor,(per instructions) but for some reason is not consistent. If I turn the main wiper switch on and off, it will work for about 5 to 6 cycles. Anybody have an idea what's wrong?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
pawesty wrote:
you would need to find the parts from a 78 champagne edition bus. it involves the switch and a relay if i remember correctly. these are the only buses that came with this feature.

Yeah, those are the only ones that came with intermittent wipers from the factory.

Not quite so, actually. My 1975 single cab came from the factory with the "bad weather package", Z01, which includes intermittent wipers, along with front and rear fog lamps.

So, the intermittent wiper switch was available on special orders. And, after a little repair and refurbishment, it works! And yes, there is a special relay for it: http://www.busdepot.com/111955531
(However, there are junk yard relays from other more recent VWs that will work for a fraction of the price.)

I'm afraid that does not help with the pre-'72 wipers. Sorry.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittant wiper switch 72 type 2 Reply with quote

72boughitnew wrote:
My owner's manual show one as an option,

Can you post a scan of that?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Intermittant wipers Reply with quote

Hi,

I scanned the entire owner's manual and it should be in the Archives. I'll have a look.

Gary
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Intermittant wiper switch Reply with quote

My owner's manual is scanned in the technical section. The reference to the wiper switch is on page 19 of the manual. This manual was what we received when we took delivery of the bus in Europe in 1972.

Gary
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have not seen that before, damn, now I have a new holy grail to go after Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: wiper switch Reply with quote

I never have seen one either, I have been looking for 40+years. As you know us west coasters could use one. The was a wrecking yard on Victoria island near Naimo. This guy had just about every type 2 Westfalia I had ever seen. I showed him the owner's manual and he was surprised as well. If you find one, let me know.

Gary
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Gallery:

Early Bay wiring using Hella Intermittent Wipe switch:

Late Bay wiring using Hella Intermittent Wipe switch:

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72boughitnew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Wiper switch Reply with quote

Thanks,

I have is unit. I will check the wiring tomorrow.

Regards,

Gary
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: