Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbine HVLP sprayers
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Turbine HVLP sprayers Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a turbine HVLP sprayer in the not too distant future. My compressor does ok spraying small things but don't think it would be able to to a car.

Are those units that can be had for around $500 any good? (Accuspray, Fuji)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a turbine system, you'll have to buy a gun that's specifically made for it, but you probably already knew that. However, most of these Turbine guns have adapters so you can use them with a compressor. I don't think you can use any compressor guns on a turbine system though.

That being said, I think they're pretty good units, with their benefits and limitations...

Benefits:
- Uses very little paint
- Very little overspray, most of the overspray on the floor sweeps right off
- portable
- turbine air is completely dry, so you don't need any filters

Limitations:
- No pressure setting (!)
- The air coming out of the gun is heated and this can kind of muddle things in term of which speed reducer to use
- without the pressure setting, you have to be spot on with your needle adjustment and with air cap and nozzle sizes.
- Not so popular in the autobody world so jobbers rarely know much about them

Just a couple off the top of my head. I am getting used to mine, but I find that I spend a lot of time wet sanding. But that's because I have a suction gun instead of a gravity fed gun. Buy a good condition, used turbine and a new gravity fed gun ($300) if you can. The bigger turbine, the better too. I use a 3-stage with OK results, I'd like to give a 4-stage a shot though.
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddare wrote:
If you buy a turbine system, you'll have to buy a gun that's specifically made for it, but you probably already knew that. However, most of these Turbine guns have adapters so you can use them with a compressor. I don't think you can use any compressor guns on a turbine system though.

That being said, I think they're pretty good units, with their benefits and limitations...

Benefits:
- Uses very little paint
- Very little overspray, most of the overspray on the floor sweeps right off
- portable
- turbine air is completely dry, so you don't need any filters

Limitations:
- No pressure setting (!)
- The air coming out of the gun is heated and this can kind of muddle things in term of which speed reducer to use
- without the pressure setting, you have to be spot on with your needle adjustment and with air cap and nozzle sizes.
- Not so popular in the autobody world so jobbers rarely know much about them

Just a couple off the top of my head. I am getting used to mine, but I find that I spend a lot of time wet sanding. But that's because I have a suction gun instead of a gravity fed gun. Buy a good condition, used turbine and a new gravity fed gun ($300) if you can. The bigger turbine, the better too. I use a 3-stage with OK results, I'd like to give a 4-stage a shot though.

Is the way it sprays and feels totally different than the regular HVLP guns? I've sprayed urethane on wood projects which worked really well but those projects were much smaller than a bug.

I like the fact that I don't need to change compressors, because I don't really have much room for a huge compressor at the moment. Mine is 35 gallon - pretty good, but not enough to run most guns.

What setup did you decide on?

The one I am looking at is three stage - this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UJI1W/ref=e_...p;n=228013
This one is suction fed.
Accuspray makes a four stage, gravity fed - that one might also be in the running, but is about $300 more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from Harbor Freight that has received some good reviews in the past. Note this one periodically goes on sale for $69.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

And another that recently got good notes and is cheaper:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91772
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used HVLP's for 14 years-I also have regular compressor set-up. The hvlp is far better IMHO. Try this www.lex-aire.com . They have what you want . I do use harbor freight for a lot but not for something that I want to last a long time. Lex-aire has great customer service too. If you call, ask for Chris. Tell him what you want it for and he'll fix you up.
I paid $960 for mine but it has a built-in oiless compressor to run a 2.5 gallon pressure pot. I use mine 6 days a week.
You'll never have fish eyes unless you don't prep right. You'll never have water in your lines. On hot days you may have to use a little slower thinner or reducer as the turbine heats the air. Go for a good one you won't regret it.
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Will definitely check it all out. I'd like to get one that I could use for wood work as well.
Not saying price is not an object, but hate getting tools that don't work right - sometimes you pay for that.

Too bad they won't let you try one before you get it..
BIG MAC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size of your compressor and the CFM that it puts out, you may be able to buy a high quality gun that shoots at low CFM. Take a look a Iwata spray guns. They are one of the better brands of guns out there but with one advantage, the work at low CFM, about 7. For a nice clear gun look at model lph400.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG MAC wrote:
For a nice clear gun look at model lph400.

I totally agree, I use the Iwata LPH400 Daily. Probably the most effortless gun to spray with. I own 3 Sata2000 I use for basecoat but I leave all the clearing to my LPH400.

68' Vert
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound interesting.

My compressor is 6 HP, 30 gallon. I think it can do 9 SCFM at 90 PSI, obviously lots more at lower pressure.

What sort of pressure does this gun need?
Would I need two guns for coat and clear?
VolksWatson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a harbor freight just down the road from me. I have never painted before. Would you recommend something like this for me? I am just a hobbyist, so I won't be doing a lot of painting. My next job would be in several years...

I hate to go to Maaco. I want to do it myself, I want it to look decent and most imortantly-LAST!

Chirp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chirpper, you say you won't be doing a lot of painting , that tells me you should join a club and enlist help. You be a good member in standing for a while and you'll get the help you need. Painting is an art. The more you do the better you are. If you want to learn , then yes , your car is the best to learn on. Good Luck!
BIG MAC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iwata uses about 30psi @ 7.5cfm, so it looks like you'll have enough compressor. You will be able to use the one gun for both base and clear, though it is nice to have dedicated guns if you paint professionally.
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG MAC wrote:
The Iwata uses about 30psi @ 7.5cfm, so it looks like you'll have enough compressor. You will be able to use the one gun for both base and clear, though it is nice to have dedicated guns if you paint professionally.

Thanks! I really appreciate the input and will weigh it all.
No, I don't paint professionally - this would in fact be my first car that I spray. Just making sure that when I start this, I don't have the disadvantage of using crappy tools.
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Turbine sprayers Reply with quote

Hey Remco, I have a couple of turbine systems you can check out right here at the shop and Im only an hour from you. I think the one unit(Croix Im going to sell ). It is an exact copy of the Lex-Air which I also have used . The other unit is an AccuSpray(hvlp.com) and is a 4 stage unit. It has been used for doing all of my spraying of interior woodwork in the house(doors, trim etc) with polyurethane. Also have used it for primer, topcoats, and MasterSeries paints. If you want to come up and check out the turbine units email me and you can . No I dont sell the units, just like to use them for their many advantages. Chuck P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksWatson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see any response on the Harbor Freight Turbine sprayers... Anyone had any experience with these?

Chirp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: