Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what are the bolt pattern for a 70 and 71 bay window?also
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: what are the bolt pattern for a 70 and 71 bay window?also Reply with quote

1st what are the bolt patterns for a 70 bay and a 71 bay? if i put a 71 front end under a 70 can i swap the rear drums to match? i am looking at some wheels to put on a bus. i think i have deciced to get the 70 panel offered to me for trade of my truck. only 2 other possible still hanging,both are splits,but dosent look promising. so i am moving forward in planning for the bay. thanks in advance! Very Happy

OGJHC Nevada chapter
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '70 uses 5x295 lug spacing, while the '71 uses 5x112 spacing. 5x112 was used until 1994, I think. Maybe 1992.
I suppose the wheels are interchangable, but it means the spindles too. Either way, it's a lot of work. Besides, the "wide fives" are considered more desireable anyways, so I'd keep thinking about this change if I were you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I say 5x295? I meant 5x205.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 can be converted to 71 wheels. I have done it.

70 with drums
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/82908.jpg

70 with disc brakes
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/82910.jpg
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the front beam.... can i install everything from wheel to wheel? or just everything from backing plate to wheel? on the rear..... are disks a option? i mean are 71 rear brakes all disks or just aftermarket? can i just swap rear drums to get the smaller bolt pattern or will i need other parts?(axles,ect...)....... i found some mercedes rims with 5x112 pattern. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/121263.jpg i am up to 85% in convincing me to get the 70 panel project. just want to make sure before i commirt to it............... how wide of rim can be run on a bus before a narrowed beam needed?........... the rims are 7 1/2 wide by 17 with about 5 1/2 to 6 inches on the backside.

OGJHC Nevada chapter
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap the whole front beam because you will need the brake booster mount bracket that is welded on the later beam. You will also need to run a vaccum line fronthe engine for the booster. In the rear swap the drums and brake shoes. As for tire and wheels I stayed stock so someone else will have to answer that.
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard alot of people using 68-70 front beams with 71 backing plates,spindles and rotors. i thought maybe the mount bolt spacing changed in 71.if you are correct and its a direct bolt up that is great!!! up to 90% ready to take the trade!!!! Very Happy

OGJHC Nevada chapter
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to double check whether the 71 beam will fit in a 70. When I did it I swapped spindles and made my own brake booster bracket. I have also heard diferent things about beams. I read that 68 will fit 55-67 and 69 thru 79 will swap. I am currently working on a drop beam fro my 59 and one for my 69. I am using 71 beams. I haven't finished it yet so I cannot confirm. Here is where I read it.

type2.com

Front End Swaps
by Vince Knauf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How was the Front End swap and did it take long? It took my mechanic about a full day todo it. Advantage of 68+ is replacing the "king pin" front suspensiion joints with the "ball joint" suspension. much smoother and easier to rebuild. disc brakes were added ?year, certainly by 71-72. I did my 69 upgrade to get the ball joints and prepare for later upgrade to discs (and my king pins were shot!!)

2. What years front end would fit a 64 Bus? 68-72 I am told bolt right on. Some small mods may be needed for 73-79 Advantage of 73+ is larger disc brakes.

3. Did it just bolt right in, were any modifications necessary? I am told that the 68-72 just bolts in, the 73-79 requires mods to get the beams to mount, but that the 73-79 spindles bolt onto the 68-72 beam. I am not certain of this.

4. Did you use the old steering box or the one from the 69 bus? Yes

5. How much did the front end cost you and would you recommend this procedure? Recommend? YES! much smoother . cost was the cost of the used parts and a day of the mechanics labor.

6. Did you rebuild the 69 Front End before you put it in and if you did what did you replace? Yes. New ball joints, new wheel cylinders and shoes for the drum brakes.

7. What reference material is available or is that not necessary? ???? No mention in the Idiot book. I am unaware of a "sermon" on the topic. I just asked everyone that I knew and seemed to get some good advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built a drop beam from a 72 and installed it in a 77 with no modifacation to the flange mounts. I put the 77 discs on the 72 beam.
SpyderMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the 73-79 part will fit 70/71 as I am looking for these parts for my 70. Wish I could keep the 70 wheels though. What good are the wheels though when I am rear ending everything in site...
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan on my 69 is to build a 2 inch narrowed beam with 71 disc brakes and make adapters back to 5 wide out of 1/2 inch plate steel. I don't want it to look like a 71 but I do want it to stop like one. I plan on doing the same to my 59 also.
SpyderMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the weekend I bought a nice 71 to go with my 70. I looked at the beams and they sure look like they bolt up the same.

Boy the disc brakes make a huge difference.

If anyone is interested, that book title something like VW suspension adn abrake upgrades is for sale cheap at www.walmart.com (about 30% off normal price).

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: