Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear brake work newbie questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ski2liv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: rear brake work newbie questions Reply with quote

I plan to overhaul the rear brakes.. have a bad cylinder in one so I'm doing em both.

Do I need any special tools? i.e. rear axle nut 46mm tool? Spring pliers for springs?

I am going to replace the springs, hoses and shoes as well since I'm in there. When I do the brake lines.. do I need the special bending tool? I plan to use the metal hose set and do all the brake lines at once (front and back). Are the hoses as simple as unscrewing the old and screwing in the new?

Are there any other parts I should be ordering other than the cylinders, hose kit, spring kit, and shoes?

thanks much!!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't need a bender when I replaced the hard lines on my bus. I would recommend you change the rubber lines as well if it hasn't been done in a while.

I used the old lines as templates for the new lines. Just be real careful and take your tim so as to not kink the line.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a socket or the 46mm tool. Spring pliers are a luxury. A tube bender would help alot. You shouldn't need any other special tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 woodstock vet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the rear end on my '69 and the best thing is all the parts are rather cheap and you don't really need any special tools. However, be ready for a day of dirty knuckle busting work. Make sure there are no small children around to here the words you will scream. I agree with replacing the rubber brake hoses too, they seem to go bad sooner than the metal lines.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the later style drums you don't need a 46mm tool to remove them.

Brake hoses are a simply screw fit. To undo the union you'll need 11mm wrenches. At least one 11mm and a crescent wrench.

You may want to replace the spring clips that hold the hoses in place...

Get some anti-seize to put in the barrels of the adjusters so you can turn them easily in future.

The special pliers help but unless you are a clutz you don't need them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: