Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where would you go for panels?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWestyGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Where would you go for panels? Reply with quote

I just got an estimate on my restoration work. $6-7,000. Oy.

Fortunately, the man is a good ole' boy known for honest work who will cut the price if you do some of the work with him and supply your own parts.

That being said, I'm looking for bottom panels all around to weld on, a full set of seals, paint (I'd like to do her up in the orignal color, Baja Red, I think it is) and about a gross of sandpaper. Maybe the name of good addictions shrink, too...

Anyone been down this road have good advice on the best place(s) to go for these?

'Preciate the help.

71 Westy
Hatchet Face
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This panel topic should be a sticky. Everybody seems to ask about it, and everybody wants to weld panels! Very Happy
You may want to check with the "Body & Paint" section here... I found a wealth of good info there. Good luck!
Phyllis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvage yard. I got the two front kick panels in perfect condition for aroung $15
namwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought panels from Bus Depot, best quality and fit. I also bought panels from another source but they were terrible.
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

namwv wrote:
I've bought panels from Bus Depot, best quality and fit. I also bought panels from another source but they were terrible.

I second this. I have now bought five separate panels from Bus Depot and every last one of them was outstanding, ridiculously perfect in fit and great quality.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a '71 rear wheel arch and it is sick. Then looked on BD site and their specs suggested they have the same brand as the sicko one. The Klockkerholm. Looking at photos closer it looked like the later year panel was the one that has the correct shape and flair for the earlier busses. Anyone have insight into this or can suggest a good panel that duplicates the OG shape?
RedWestyGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll check out both the car yards and the Depot. It's getting hard to find "decent" bays for parting out in yards - more vw parts vultures around here than I thought.

I also saw lots of posts giving kudos to MetWiz in Archdale, NC for being the man to go to for body work. His gallery of work looks like he's pricey but worth it. (Busy, too - he isn't fabricating panels for sale at the moment, daggumit.)

Is his work as expensive as looks...and worth selling a kid to get? (I have two of them and only one van, afterall...Very Happy .)

71 Westy
commercial air
Samba Member

Location: Driving in the crumple zone...Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about Kelly's restoration prices, but his panel quality can't be beat. He made all the lower sheetmetal for my '68 DC project and they fit like NOS. The price for those panels was very resonable and his service was terrific. You can check out the final fit at www.commercial-air.com. I know he's not making panels right now, but it may be worth waiting until he's back in production. Give him a call and see what he has to say. Good luck with you project.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: