Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom made $14.00 pressure bleeder
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Custom made $14.00 pressure bleeder Reply with quote

As per somebody on Samba's idea I made this pressure bleeder today. Got the sprayer at Walmart for just under $9.00, and about $4.00 worth of parts at the hardware.

The cap is this: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D611%2D349

Then one of these:http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?produ...5577020634

A couple washers, a NPT 1/2" nut type thing, and a small band clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I discovered I am not smarter than plastic. While unsticking the drill bit out of the lid I was dumb enough to hold it in my hand, and of course drilled a nice little chunk out of my palm. Oh well. I figure the dub god's required some kind of blood sacrifice for getting so cool a tool for so cheap.
Fibersport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I want to add to mine is a pressure gauge. I heard that you only need about 15 psi. Sure beats the $50 they're advertised for doesn't it?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sometimes I am a little "slow on the draw" as they used to say in the old west....)

So:

1)you put some brake fluid in the sprayer,
2) put the cap on the reservoir,
3) pump it up to about 15 psi,
4) run back and crack the right rear brake line,
5) and the air comes out of the line?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Lug Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that sprayer at wallmart myself.
Fibersport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the small cup from my vacuum pump and hook that to the bleeder, makes it real neat and easy. One thing though, it seems that I still have to bleed each wheel at least 2 or 3 times.
cervilleyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, my apologies for my stupidness. kinda slow myself.

do you do this while there is brake fluid in the cars braking system or do you drain it first?

how does it work? with the pressure created in the walmart reservoir and by releasing pressure off the rigth rear brake valve does the new brake fluid go into the braking system and do i just close the brake valve when i see brake fluid coming out?
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drain with a 1/4" clear rubber hose (slipped onto the bleeder valve) into a pint plastic milk carton - hole punched through the center of the cap to run the hose in.

cervilleyu -

Quote:
do you do this while there is brake fluid in the cars braking system or do you drain it first?

Well, some people like to flush out old brake fluid because it can get water in it after sitting a long time, you can drain it first. Or if you just replaced you Master Cylinder, for example, then you're goint to need to bleed the air out the length of all the lines anyway. But no - draining first is not required.

Quote:
how does it work? with the pressure created in the walmart reservoir and by releasing pressure off the rigth rear brake valve does the new brake fluid go into the braking system and do i just close the brake valve when i see brake fluid coming out?

Yes.

You have to do each wheel like you normally would when you bleed the brakes. Oh - I bleed the brake light switches first. Just loosen them a little untill some brake fluid squirts out.

As someone else in a related post mentioned - have an assistant tap on your MC a couple times (with a small wrench) to get any trapped air out.
rresa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you guys have a Harbor Freights store in your region, but I picked up a one man brake bleeding kit for 4.99. Not only did it work like a charm, but it made bleeding brakes way too easy. Also, the way this kit worked, after applying the brake pedal several times, most if not all of the old brake fluid came out first along with the air bubbles in the brake line. You could tell because the old brake fluid had debris and was quite dark compared to the new brake fluid.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that was something they carried. There is a Harbor Freight store I can't wait to go to that is about 150 miles away from my house I close on tommorow. The one with the garage!

I want to get an air compressor, some air tools, and a HPLV kit from there. I'm going to try to get everything for about $300.00.

Then I need to place an order for a few items from CIP1, then I need..........
cervilleyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i will be visiting harbor freight pretty soon. the one man bleeder is on sale for $1.99 and there is a location about 3 miles from where i live.

thanks so much for the info
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a new MC and all new lines and wheel cylinders, I'd still go with the pressurized version. I've had problems getting a real firm pedal in that situation before. I had that problem many years ago, and I gave up - took it into the local import auto place. They used a power bleeder and it did the trick.

I've seen post's in this forum where guys are stumped on that problem, a new MC is always in the equation, and forcing the air out under pressure is the answere for that issue.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, jimbug!
cervilleyu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i'm confused which route to take, hmmm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: