Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

50' convertible, bad weather, and sellers remorse...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: 50' convertible, bad weather, and sellers remorse... Reply with quote

This is true and a classic among my friends and I: Around 1999, I sold my project 1950 cabriolet to Bob Koch in Southern california. I sacrificed the car in order to finance my almost complete 58' ghia convertible. In hind site it was a bad decision) The car was not only complete with all parts, but had 2 and 3 sets of very rare irems such as vert semiphores, NOS 25HP pistons, etc. Part of the deal was that I would deliver the car for an extra fee. About 300 miles from my home. So we trailered the car to Bob's shop and the weather was bad with rain, etc. While crossing the "grapevine" (for you california guys), I was waved over by a car passing us. It seemed that we had lost something. I stopped got out, checked the car, etc., everything looked secure....except,...i realized that the decklid was missing. Now remember, this is a 1950 "w" CONVERTIBLE decklid with louvers, NOS popes nose light, AND....rare locking "L" handle all attached. Well, after walking the side of the raod for about 30 minutes, I found it. I had walked by it a couple times before realizing what it was. An 18 wheeler had rolled my MINT rare decklid in to a taco bell special. The lid was the size of a football. When we arrived at the destination, I had to negotiate a chunk off the price for the loss. (about $1,000) to be exact. In hind sight, I should have said "take it or leave it", but after traveling 300 miles, you want to be done with all of it. So the car was sold, I kept the lid. I hear the car :cry: was restored and is now in Belgium now. I however still have my $1,000 momento as a reminder of my adventure, my regret for selling the car, and that this is the closest thing I may ever have agin of owning a split convertible. Hope you enjoyed the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sniff>

Sure, I was in a good mood till I read this.

Wink

Hindsight is 20/20. We all look back at decisions that weren't so great. But that's how we learn.

Thanks for the read.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I would have never gotten rid of that vert. Thats the holy grail.The end of the Volkswagen line. Its the American dream. What every hardcore VW enthusiasts dreams about. You got rid of it to finish an early ghia vert. Im sorry but you really fuc$ed up.

Sucks about the decklid. I bet Koch made a killing off that car.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to have the decklid
2Kabrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a story and bad decision.Must be 1 nice ghia vert
60 kabriolett
59 double cab
64 bug
65 notch
67 ghia
67 chevelle
70 181
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I remember that day.. There we were a nasty day cold rain and waiting in suspense for you guys to show up with that vert , I just want to make one thing clear you never trailer`d the car you brought it with a TOW BAR witch I was in shock to see you guy pulling it in the rain NO tail lights what so ever, man what if some big rig hit the ass end of that thing?So anyways we get a call we are on oure way! cool........ few hrs later another call ( We lost the decklid on the frwy and it got smashed!) So the car shows up ALL WET on the floor poor thing looked like a herbie reject car. So I ask where`s the rear lid? and there it was Pulverized with the popenose now looking like a sheet of paper ,GONE! But there was a ton of stuff on that car when it came to the shop NOS almost everything in-fact thats the only time I have ever seen a NOS wire-harness for a early vert. it was like a boxing match trying to come up with a price for the car minus the rear lid.. But they finally did. We gathered all the parts that came with the car took a good look at the body and all was good. Car was restored to perfection and sold off to I believe flat four not sure.The people selling it drive away and I yell out HEY!! they took the rear lid? The next thing I here is Who cares they paid for it well!! DOH!!

I would have never sold that thing for a GHIA!
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that has to be the sillyest reason to sell in the world if you ask me. "Operation Hustle Backwards"
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
2Kabrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking of selling my 50 kabriolett to restore my 66 square back............................................

NOT Laughing
60 kabriolett
59 double cab
64 bug
65 notch
67 ghia
67 chevelle
70 181
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been so long since a 66 square, its been like 14 hours. I'd get on it if I were you. I'll even take that 50 off your hands to getcha started. Very Happy
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you still have the 58 vert at least.

you should have posted this in the "stupid things I only did once" thread. Shocked
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Kabrios wrote:
Im thinking of selling my 50 kabriolett to restore my 66 square back............................................

NOT Laughing

hey buddy, trade for a 64 sunroof notch? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 50' convertible, bad weather, and sellers remorse... Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
This is true and a classic among my friends and I: Around 1999, I sold my project 1950 cabriolet to Bob Koch in Southern california. I sacrificed the car in order to finance my almost complete 58' ghia convertible. In hind site it was a bad decision) The car was not only complete with all parts, but had 2 and 3 sets of very rare irems such as vert semiphores, NOS 25HP pistons, etc. Part of the deal was that I would deliver the car for an extra fee. About 300 miles from my home. So we trailered the car to Bob's shop and the weather was bad with rain, etc. While crossing the "grapevine" (for you california guys), I was waved over by a car passing us. It seemed that we had lost something. I stopped got out, checked the car, etc., everything looked secure....except,...i realized that the decklid was missing. Now remember, this is a 1950 "w" CONVERTIBLE decklid with louvers, NOS popes nose light, AND....rare locking "L" handle all attached. Well, after walking the side of the raod for about 30 minutes, I found it. I had walked by it a couple times before realizing what it was. An 18 wheeler had rolled my MINT rare decklid in to a taco bell special. The lid was the size of a football. When we arrived at the destination, I had to negotiate a chunk off the price for the loss. (about $1,000) to be exact. In hind sight, I should have said "take it or leave it", but after traveling 300 miles, you want to be done with all of it. So the car was sold, I kept the lid. I hear the car Crying or Very sad was restored and is now in Belgium now. I however still have my $1,000 momento as a reminder of my adventure, my regret for selling the car, and that this is the closest thing I may ever have agin of owning a split convertible. Hope you enjoyed the story.

OMG that was a very stupid decision a ghia OMG stupid stupid stupid
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see a picture of the football
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit lets see a pic of the vert before and after or just anything

OMG YOU SOLD IT FOR A GHIA WTF
Cabriothusiast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: 50 Vert...or 52 Vert? Reply with quote

I currently own that car in question and have heard the story a few times. The vert is actually a 52' and with no disrespect...it never was a 50' I guess Bob found another early vert decklid and now after a half decade plus residing in Japan at Flat4's, it has been repatriated to the US!

Enjoy the pic

Todd

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=213181
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Lenny also do a '50 vert that ended up with Flat 4?
Cabriothusiast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: 50' or ..... 52' Kabrio Reply with quote

He did. It was finished in early 2005 and shipped. A few rare parts from my 52' were lifted to be used on the 50' prior to my buying it (unknown to me of course). In any event....the freeway flying split vert decklid relates to my car as I have been told by a few sources. I could be corrected but it is highly unlikely that 2 split cabrios in CA lost their rear lids on CA freeways on their way to Bob Koch's shop. I have not heard that Flat4's 50' was owned by Koch's either.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW stories.........they never end. Regardless, you have beautiful cars. Cool
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats just awesome!
Cabriothusiast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: 50' or 52'///who cares Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I am proud of my 2 cabrios. They are awsome cars!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: