Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

left rear shoulder belt kit for westies?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: left rear shoulder belt kit for westies? Reply with quote

I was looking at the GoWesty site for another post and remembered the rear shoulder belt kits. The right side kit looks like a winner, but the left side kit looks quite dubious, going through all the cabinetry.

Does anyone have experience with this kit, and if so, what were your impressions? Will it add any safety, and if you get in a crash, will it rip out/damage the cabinetry?

Thanks,
-Damon
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sholder belts help hold you in but are mostly for keeping your body and face from hitting the dash and things in front of you. Important in the front where you have things to hit, but what's in front of you when your sitting on the z-bed? Nothing (unless you have a middle seat).
So if you get in a wreck the people in the back should be held in with the lap belts, they may be doubled over, but they won't be hurt from smacking into anything.
So If it were me I'd save my money.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what is worse. Being held in place and having your organs get jerked. Or whether being tossed about and having your body restrain your guts is worse. Not sure. Some where, I thought I read that the lap belts kinda squish your guts. So it is a toss off as far as I am concerned. For now, my littlest child sits on the left rear in the baby seat and the other child on the right. Since my vintage 85 seat belts need renewing, I am going for a right rear shoulder setup, but used out of another car. Which car that is, I do not know yet.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
sgiyecoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a right side set up for our 87 Syncro and the 82 Westy. We needed to because the car/booster seats require a shoulder belt, and my wife didn't buy the "if you hit anything hard enough it won't matter" argument. My hope is that by the time my youngest son requires the shoulder belt set up, my older son won't need it anymore. So, to avoid spending the time cutting through the cabinetry and money, were just feeding him extra.

The expense was definitely worth it. It works well, and Mom is happy.
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgiyecoker wrote:

The expense was definitely worth it. It works well, and Mom is happy.

That is pretty much where i am at as well... only i am kind of thinking if one makes mom pretty happy, will two make mom even more happy? If i can get her to sign up for me spending any money on the van... well... that makes ME happy Smile

-Damon
sgiyecoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!

Now if only I can convince her that new steel bumpers, an enhanced sound system and an 84" safari rack for the Syncro will improve the safety rating.
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I am going for a right rear shoulder setup, but used out of another car. Which car that is, I do not know yet.

I saved the seat belts out of a '85 GL. I've not looked into it, but could the retractor be bolted to the C pillar and the belt be anchored in the stock westy location. I think the old intermediate mount would need to be cut off the belt. The stickler is, does that retractor have to be mounted perpendicular to work properly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: